Dead Battery???

General Trinity Support

Moderator: mikel

JeepDodgeRam

Re: Dead Battery???

Post by JeepDodgeRam »

Some random thoughts on this...

Since the Trinity has a setting to put it into "sleep mode", I'd suspect there's something more going on with the ODBII port, especially on the LX vehicles. I had a 2008 Charger Daytona that did EXACTLY the same thing with AeroForce Scan Gauges. Dead battery every morning if left plugged in. The issue was discussed on the AeroForce forum and if I recall, there was an issue with certain options (RER MyGig Radio) that would trigger the battery drain. At the time, the Trinity didn't exist, but I did use a Predator for the tune (although I never left it plugged in). If I had, I'll bet it would have drained the battery also. Not so much the device that's plugged in, just that something was plugged in.

Now I have a Trinity installed in a 2012 RAM 1500 and it's been plugged in for weeks with no problems (other than any ability to use it...hint hint!). I also have a 2003 GMC 2500HD that I could plug it into. Might be an interesting test to see if it kills the battery on it!

Note: It's been a long time since I've posted here. And yes, I had a 2009 SRT8 SuperBee too. I probably need to update my signature!
2009 Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee
Robski

Post by Robski »

I have seen recommendations to exit the gauges and go back to main menu and this will prevent battery drain. I have not tested yet.
mikel

Post by mikel »

try options/change sleep monitoring and raise it to 60 seconds, see if that helps.

Thanks
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
Robski

Post by Robski »

As noted above, I Already tried that
joshua.n.french@gmail.com

Post by joshua.n.french@gmail.com »

i can attest that this is still an issue with the new 2013 release that diablo made. My car has 10K miles on it and I have been waiting for the release for several months. Finally got the download, hooked it up to my car, and the next day the battery was dead. I attempted the 60 second timeout "fix" and it did not work. I spend the additional money on the trinity for the advanced functionality to view displays and real-time data. Now it's so much of a hassle to use that it's not worth it.

Feels like this should have been addressed far in advance of a 2013 release but nothing has been done.
dlayne2012

Post by dlayne2012 »

If you set it to 60 sec and every time you turn your vehicle off you have to go back to the main menu screen to prevent battery drain.
2007 Ram 1500
Trinity, HO Cams, Volant CAI/Custom Ram Air, Power Wire, JBA Shorty Headers, Magnaflow Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, Magnaflow 14", Flexalite 183 E-Fan, 180 T-Stat, 08 Intake Manifold, F&B 72MM TB, SRT8 IAT Sensor, Mag-Hytech Covers, 4.56 LSD, ATI Super Damper 25%, BT Catch Can
LDRBLO

Post by LDRBLO »

Hi All

Just ran into this little surprise myself, with a 2012 Challenger SRT8.

The car and Trinity unit have functioned perfectly for the week since install. Like many, I'm sure, if you're gonna have the unit on your dash, you may as well have some gauges up and running. When I turned the Challenger off last night, with the gauges page still up, it flattened the battery - dead! It has NOT done this before now.

If I have to turn the gauges off (i.e. back up to the main menu) each time before I shut down, simply to ensure that I don't flatten the battery, it is simply not worth having the unit installed. It's sitting in the fruit bowl now! That's sad, because the unit is too expensive to simply upload a 93 octane tune and then unplug? Not worth it.

In addition, I only now understand that I have to pay more for a tune with CAI and Cat Back installed? I carefully (caveat emptor!!) downloaded the manual to fully investigate this product before purchase. Section 2.2 of the Manual refers to modifying the tune to support the addition of aftermarket parts. Surely the most common aftermarket parts are CAI and Cat Back (followed by headers and high flow cats?). Apparently not. Maybe I'm a noobie and don't appreciate the tuning differences between various manufacturers of CAI and Cat Back systems, but I would have thought this was really doable. Am I wrong?

I am chasing a tune now. It will be interesting to see what that costs, via an email file. If it is expensive then I would find it hard to recommend this product.

The battery drain issue can be fixed by fixing the software. I would suggest forcing the unit to return to the Main Menu page before 'sleep'. (If sleep is 60sec, force main menu at 45sec - Bill gates eat your heart out ;-). That would fix the problem. Most people will wait for a cold engine to warm; which leaves plenty of time to reselect the gauge parameters you desire, or other sub menu pages.

Just my 2 cents - but this does only seem to drain the battery when left in Gauge Mode (and possibly other sub main menu modes as well). If you are new to the Trinity, make sure it is left in Main Menu, or disconnect it..... or hope the wife doesn't mind you taking her car to the bloody airport for a couple of days!!! Arggghhh....

(sigh...)
dlayne2012

Post by dlayne2012 »

It really takes 1 second to hit the exit button on your monitoring screens before turning your key off.I don't understand why you feel that is unnecessary especially considering it will stop the dead battery issue. I do it everyday and when I fire my truck up I simply hit monitoring and I'm off.
2007 Ram 1500
Trinity, HO Cams, Volant CAI/Custom Ram Air, Power Wire, JBA Shorty Headers, Magnaflow Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, Magnaflow 14", Flexalite 183 E-Fan, 180 T-Stat, 08 Intake Manifold, F&B 72MM TB, SRT8 IAT Sensor, Mag-Hytech Covers, 4.56 LSD, ATI Super Damper 25%, BT Catch Can
LDRBLO

Post by LDRBLO »

That's a really fair point; in which case, wouldn't it be a great idea to warn people that you will flatten your battery if you don't perform this vital step? I agree with you. It only takes a second to back out of the screens to the Main Menu. But having to come onto a forum to get to the bottom of a flat battery issue... ? That is a marketing issue that affects the reputation of the Company at least? And, IMHO, it's a very simple software fix that could be distributed as a patch. THAT would be cool.

BTW, a tune for the CAI and Cat Back is US$125 from HemiFever Tuning - seems very reasonable as an overall proposition, especially when compared with a custom Dyno tune, and the fact that Headers, Mids, TB and Cams will be added progressively. The Trinity offers the flexibility of progressive tuning at a much lower cost than running her over the Dyno for every mod.

Good Product, and new. All new products will have issues. Easy to knock the smallest of glitches - but there is a LOT (99.9%) that is RIGHT with this product. And I am very grateful that this product even exists!
Last edited by LDRBLO on Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Robski

Post by Robski »

My issue is that I just plain forget to got back the main screen . Im getting better at it though!
dlayne2012

Post by dlayne2012 »

LDRBLO wrote:That's a really fair point; in which case, wouldn't it be a great idea to warn people that you will flatten your battery if you don't perform this vital step? I agree with you. It only takes a second to back out of the screens to the Main Menu. But having to come onto a forum to get to the bottom of a flat battery issue... ? That is a marketing issue that affects the reputation of the Company at least? And, IMHO, it's a very simple software fix that could be distributed as a patch. THAT would be cool.

BTW, a tune for the CAI and Cat Back is US$125 from HemiFever Tuning - seems very reasonable as an overall proposition, especially when compared with a custom Dyno tune, and the fact that Headers, Mids, TB and Cams will be added progressively. The Trinity offers the flexibility of progressive tuning at a much lower cost than running her over the Dyno for every mod.

Good Product, and new. All new products will have issues. Easy to knock the smallest of glitches - but there is a LOT (99.9%) that is RIGHT with this product. And I am very grateful that this product even exists!
True, you should look at white lighting tuning. I had a hemifever tune and wasn't impressed honestl, night and day difference between the 2 on customer service and the tune itself.
2007 Ram 1500
obisw4n

Post by obisw4n »

joshua.n.french@gmail.com wrote:i can attest that this is still an issue with the new 2013 release that diablo made. My car has 10K miles on it and I have been waiting for the release for several months. Finally got the download, hooked it up to my car, and the next day the battery was dead. I attempted the 60 second timeout "fix" and it did not work. I spend the additional money on the trinity for the advanced functionality to view displays and real-time data. Now it's so much of a hassle to use that it's not worth it.

Feels like this should have been addressed far in advance of a 2013 release but nothing has been done.

Bumping this thread..

Still an issue as of latest 2013 RAM update, My truck is now COMPLETELY dead thanks to the Trinity. Would NOT recommend any Ram owners to install Trinity just yet until the bugs worked out.
garrett
Site Admin

Post by garrett »

obisw4n wrote:

Bumping this thread..

Still an issue as of latest 2013 RAM update, My truck is now COMPLETELY dead thanks to the Trinity. Would NOT recommend any Ram owners to install Trinity just yet until the bugs worked out.[/quote]

if the vehicle's battery is dying from the trinity plugged in, go to options/change sleep monitor and adjust the value to 60
Dguth

Post by Dguth »

Hey guys - this just happened to me last night - talk about freaking out on Christmas Eve!!! I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT and this is my 2nd SRT using the same Trinity device. For almost two years - never had a problem with my prior SRT but installed the new 2014 tune on my new Jeep - everything installed fine, etc. Came out the next morning- battery completely drained!! Thought my PCM was bricked as everything was pitch black. After jumping it off with my wife's car, seems to run fine now. I've always been able to leave the Trinity plugged in - what gives?!? I noticed on one evening that while my car was off with the Trinity plugged in - the lights on my dash display kept coming on an off every 30 seconds or so. Is the Trinity doing something to query the PCM causing this?? I stood outside in 20 degree weather watching this wondering if the Trinity was causing it or was the car just picking up the key in my pocket. After my battery dying - it has to be occurring with the Trinity. After unplugging it last night and recharging the battery - the jeep started fine this morning. Something weird seems to be going on - has anyone else observed this? I know many others have experienced the battery draining but I am still searching for why? Is the Trinity causing these new 2014s to cycle on and off draining the battery? I usually like to keep my Trinity plugged - I don't feel comfortable in doing that any more and unless someone can help educate me on what's going on - it won't be a device that I can recommend to my fellow Jeep enthusiasts. Diablo - hopefully this post can drive an informative response from you and educate me and others...
monster71

Post by monster71 »

Why is this an issue? What am I missing? Unplug it. Problem fixed. How long does it take to reconnect. 30 seconds. Obviously you are not using the gauges ( or the Trinity at all) once you park it. Cant data log when car is off. You dont need the gauges when the car is off. No need to use the tree if car is off. If u know the fix, then why leave it in the car connected and then come on the forum and bitch about it? Yes DS needs to figure it out. Should there be a warning, yes. But even after you guys know to unplug it, you still chose to leave it connected. Thats on you.