Dead Battery???

General Trinity Support

Moderator: mikel

danp129

Re: Dead Battery???

Post by danp129 »

Has setting it to sleep after 60 seconds been proven to stop all power draw from the vehicle and correct this problem for everyone? If I have it on monitor and turn off the truck and leave it for a week, it won't drain my battery again?

I had to have my truck, which only had 7K miles, towed because I left the trinity connected for 2 or 3 days. When I charged my battery, my key fobs wouldn't work and when I unlocked my door with the key, the alarm went off and the horn wouldn't stop honking. I had to remove the horn fuse and let the battery drain down again because the lights wouldn't go off.
BigSloth

Post by BigSloth »

Bumping this.

Has anyone found an actual fix for this yet? I have already done the option/sleep monitoring/60 sec thing to no avail.

2014 Ram 1500 CCSB 5.7
Latest Trinity revision with HF tune.

I have determined what is actually happening, without letting it drain my battery. The instrument cluster stays lit up whenever the trinity is plugged in. I stood outside and watched through the window, the gauges power down, lights go out, etc, then when the trinity goes to sleep, the gauge lights wake up, needles go to ready position, the gear selector lights flash. Basically the BCM is waking up. And with the settings set to 60 sec, it does it precisely every 61 seconds. They take about 25 seconds to power down, then 36 seconds later they turn back on. I observed for 15 minutes and it never missed a beat, did it every 61 seconds.

So something in the trinity is keeping the BCM awake. Yes, I am aware that you can unplug the trinity and it wont do it. But I shouldnt need to. As stated by several others in this thread, it costs $600, you shouldnt need to unplug it every time you get out. Then you have to plug it in and let it boot up again and everything before monitoring every time you start the truck. I spent the extra money because I wanted to be able to monitor. It worked flawlessly on my 06 ram 1500, but not the 14.

If anyone can shed some light on the situation(other than the options/sleep monitoring/change to 60 sec, ive already tried), that would be great. I stand behind your tuning capabilities but this is frustrating.

Thanks, TJ.
The_Hun

Post by The_Hun »

I am having the same problem and tried the 60 second option and my battery keeps getting drained.. its a 2010 ram.
Expoman55

Post by Expoman55 »

YEP.. STILL kills battery.. Since My weekend install has yielded 2 dead batteries. I love the tune but think I wasted money between the Itune and the trinity. Shoulda just got the simple one but I wanted the dag gone gauges

Looking for someone from Diablo to answer my post from yesterday argh..
DJX

Post by DJX »

It is my understanding that you have to return to the main screen if you want the device to not do this.
So instead of leaving it at the gauges screen, go back until you're at the main screen and then turn the car off.

Now, I have not tested this but this is what I gathered from reading posts when my battery died in my 2013 Charger because of this.
Cratos

Post by Cratos »

Come on diablo we need a fix for this. You should NOT have to physically turn it on & off. The edge insight I have in my truck turns itself on and off with the ignition. I got this for the gauges not so much for the tuning. When I first installed it I had the sleep set for 10 (thinking it would shut off faster) well the next day battery was dead and somehow did something to the 730 RHR radio fan relay saying on, causing a 1000.00 radio replacement.
mikel

Post by mikel »

The setting should be set to 0 seconds for optimal results.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
Cratos

Post by Cratos »

On the other page you say 60 now 0 witch is it at 10 it killed the battery
maybe you can see what the edge people did on the one I have in my truck it shut off and on with the ignition. and boots up onto the gauges on its own.
mikel

Post by mikel »

does the edge not te into the factory harness somewhere?

I generally recommend 0, unless it is for a specific application.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
atov

Post by atov »

Hello Mikel, my friend bought a Trinity in 2014 for his 14 Jeep SRT. But he has this issue with the drain battery.

Anyway, he did as you said to everyone (set to 60 sec), but nothing. Still had his battery drained. so he just took my Trinity away and put it in a box.

It's 2016, and I would like to ask you, did you got this issue fixed? or there's still issues with this?. Because I'm planning on buying a Trinity, but if I can't having installed and plugged all the time, it's better just buy a Intune, because I can't take advantage of the features of the Trinity.

Please let us know, because from what I've seen you guys have been having this issue since 2013.

Thank you.

Atov
AZHEMI

Post by AZHEMI »

Before i took my trinity back, i set the sleep timer to 2, never had a dead battery. Had my unit for 2 weeks.
2013 Ram 1500 Express 5.7, Zone 6" lift, Predator 2 tuned,
atov

Post by atov »

AZHEMI wrote:Before i took my trinity back, i set the sleep timer to 2, never had a dead battery. Had my unit for 2 weeks.
Set the sleep timer to 2 seconds ? ...I'll try that. Also I've seen people putting it at 0 Seconds.

Thanks
AZHEMI

Post by AZHEMI »

atov wrote:
AZHEMI wrote:Before i took my trinity back, i set the sleep timer to 2, never had a dead battery. Had my unit for 2 weeks.
Set the sleep timer to 2 seconds ? ...I'll try that. Also I've seen people putting it at 0 Seconds.

Thanks
If reducing the time still results in a dead battery, leave the unit unplugged with the battery fully charged. If the results of a dead battery persist you have another drain on your electrical system that is not related to the tuner.
2013 Ram 1500 Express 5.7, Zone 6" lift, Predator 2 tuned,
vectorvictor

Post by vectorvictor »

I have a 2015 GMC Sierra Denali w/ the 5.3L engine and have a battery drain problem as well. I tried fiddling w/the monitor sleep settings and found that if set to 60 seconds, the Trinity will sleep at around 2:10. The problem is that it will ask to "halt monitoring" at 1:20-1:30 and around 60 seconds later shut down.
So when set at 0 seconds, the Trinity will sleep immediately after asking to "halt monitoring". But, again, the problem is that it stays on for about 1 1/2 minutes. If in main menu mode, the time needed to enter sleep doesn't seem to be consistent. I've timed it at 1 minute from all the way to 5 minutes.

I've had the Bully Dog system in the past and it shuts down w/the car because it draws power from an "ON" or "ACC" fuse (ie, a radio fuse).
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

I wish I would have seen this thread before spending $600.

My batter dies if I leave the Diablo plugged in :(

I have a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L.

Tune works but isn't worth $600 if I can't use the gauges and forget about it when shutting down.