Lets talk push button start

General Trinity Support

Moderator: mikel

mikel

Lets talk push button start

Post by mikel »

Many of todays late model vehicles come with a push button start system.
They all seem to have some variance on how they work, so lets discuss.

Ford models equipped with push to start are tricky, as some require a single push of the button to engage RUN mode, while others require you to push the button 2x to engage RUN. Best to check the dash for the indication of ACC or RUN to confirm, or if you click it a 2nd time and it shuts the car off, then you only need one click.

GM vehicles with push button start require that you push and HOLD the button for 8-10 seconds to engage RUN mode. Pressing it just once will engage ACC and will eventually time out and can lead to write failures.

On 08-14 Challengers (ONLY), the button is removable, and should be removed when doing any programming in the vehicle. Just pop the button out and insert the key fob and turn it like a traditional key, 2 clicks to the right for RUN mode.

Anything else, (11+Charger, 300, some new Rams, etc), the button should be pressed 2X without using the brake to engage RUN mode for programming, and for any requested Key ON cycle from the tool.

If you have some info about your specific push button equipped vehicle, please feel free to share, especially anyone with a Ford as it would be good to keep track of which ones need one press, and which need 2.

Thanks
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
Mike_Levy

Re: Lets talk push button start

Post by Mike_Levy »

What is wrong with the domestic marques? How hard is it to set up like the Germans (the proper way)?
Foot on the brake, press button, car starts.
Foot off brake, press button, accessory mode.
Car running, press button, accessory mode. Press again with foot off brake or open door, everything off. Press again with foot on brake, car starts.

Simple.
2021 BMW M550i xDrive
BMC Drop ins, JB4

2010 Nissan Murano beater
K&N Drop-in
Lxlaw

Post by Lxlaw »

Mike L, could you please contact me, langsstangs@yahoo.com need some help...
cahiatt

Post by cahiatt »

Mike_Levy wrote:What is wrong with the domestic marques? How hard is it to set up like the Germans (the proper way)?
Foot on the brake, press button, car starts.
Foot off brake, press button, accessory mode.
Car running, press button, accessory mode. Press again with foot off brake or open door, everything off. Press again with foot on brake, car starts.

Simple.
What Mike described above was the general process to enter run/diagnostic mode without starting the engine so that you can properly tune the vehicle. You don't have to hold the button to start the car. The domestics are already setup properly. GM example below.

With foot OFF the brake
Press start once to turn on ACC
Press and hold start for 8-10 seconds to enter run mode without starting the engine

With foot ON the brake
Press start once to start the engine
Press start again to stop the engine, vehicle stays in ACC mode
Open the door and ACC turns off. (no need for that pesky double tap to exit the vehicle and turn everything off)
17rango

Post by 17rango »

mikel wrote:Many of todays late model vehicles come with a push button start system.
They all seem to have some variance on how they work, so lets discuss.

Ford models equipped with push to start are tricky, as some require a single push of the button to engage RUN mode, while others require you to push the button 2x to engage RUN. Best to check the dash for the indication of ACC or RUN to confirm, or if you click it a 2nd time and it shuts the car off, then you only need one click.

GM vehicles with push button start require that you push and HOLD the button for 8-10 seconds to engage RUN mode. Pressing it just once will engage ACC and will eventually time out and can lead to write failures.

On 08-14 Challengers (ONLY), the button is removable, and should be removed when doing any programming in the vehicle. Just pop the button out and insert the key fob and turn it like a traditional key, 2 clicks to the right for RUN mode.

Anything else, (11+Charger, 300, some new Rams, etc), the button should be pressed 2X without using the brake to engage RUN mode for programming, and for any requested Key ON cycle from the tool.

If you have some info about your specific push button equipped vehicle, please feel free to share, especially anyone with a Ford as it would be good to keep track of which ones need one press, and which need 2.

Thanks
Thanks for the tips, i am atruggling to get my 2017 Durango rt tuned and think im having issues with the push button sequence.
I called tech support and was told to hold the button for like 10sec to get it in the run position.
That didnt work and was always getting a pcm unlock error -1.

Tried it again and pressed the push button a second time and that time the programming started.
Now i cannot complete the last step at 99% completion wrn it asks to put the car back in the run position.

Can you confirm the corect push button sequence for my Durango to unlock and lock the pcm.

Im over the -1 error but getting a -34 at the end now.
mikel

Post by mikel »

click it 2x to engage run mode, it will say RUN on the trim around the button.
click once for key off, then 2x again for key on requests.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
17rango

Post by 17rango »

mikel wrote:click it 2x to engage run mode, it will say RUN on the trim around the button.
click once for key off, then 2x again for key on requests.
After a few try i fnally got it, thanks for the help :D
DrmThmpr

Post by DrmThmpr »

So I have a Trintity 1000. and just bought a 2016 Mustang 5.0L with push button start. Can I use this tuner on my new Mustang? Are the canned Tunes for this car? And does the push button start change anything? Thanks in advanced. I sure hope my tuner is not worthless just because I changed vehicles!!!