Kia Optima 2.0 Turbo

Do you know of a future Product you would like us to make?

Moderator: mikel

05Z71

Kia Optima 2.0 Turbo

Post by 05Z71 »

The Kia community has grown tremendously in the past 2 years. I am on http://www.optimaforums.com and our member base has gained 5000+ members in the last year. With the 274 hp 2.0 turbo motor that is present in the Optima and in the Hyundai Sonata (same motor) an increase in boost to 20+ psi, torque management reduction, and fueling tweaks this could easily be a beast of a car. The bolt on availability is growing every day, but are not yielding much power if any at all due to the ECU restrictions. A tune, which is not available from ANYONE yet, would be a great addition to this car and I can guarantee it will sell.

So, does Diablosport have anything on the horizon for this platform?
Makin friends one post at a time!

05 Chevy Z71 5.3L, 18x9 KMC XD Spy Wheels, 275/70R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Cherry Bomb Exhaust, K&N Drop in, Predator TWEAKED
mikel

Re: Kia Optima 2.0 Turbo

Post by mikel »

the genesis 2.0 is hot on my list...

do you know if the hyundai and kia 2.0T motors are using the same PCMs?
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
Mike_Levy

Post by Mike_Levy »

Ugh, you guys are going rice now? The Germans should have priority. Far more potential. People are willing to overpay for their tunes, so you know that they'll flock to a decent priced tuner.
mikel

Post by mikel »

Mike_Levy wrote:Ugh, you guys are going rice now? The Germans should have priority. Far more potential. People are willing to overpay for their tunes, so you know that they'll flock to a decent priced tuner.
Thats part of the problem...they wont.

MB/BMW guys will pass on a sub $500 tuner to pay more, we've seen it.

As many euro cars as I see on the road daily pales in comparison to the number of 2.0T Hyundais/Kias I see daily.

Regardless, most euro and japanese PCMs use ISO protocal, which is what were working on next.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
Mike_Levy

Post by Mike_Levy »

Really? I see at least 20x more European cars then anything Hyundai or Kia, let alone with the 2.0T. Guess the Senior Citizens down in South Florida use their fixed incomes for cheap Korean crap, while the yuppies up on Long Island buy German.
05Z71

Post by 05Z71 »

mikel wrote:the genesis 2.0 is hot on my list...

do you know if the hyundai and kia 2.0T motors are using the same PCMs?
I can't say definitely yes or no at the moment. When I get to work tonight I will do a little digging, but I am pretty sure that they are the same. I know PowerAxel is offering an "incomplete" tune that has been proven to work on both cars (sonata and optima), but the torque management is playing a role in everything. The gremlins dumb everything down at a certain point. I'm sure you guys can get around that though. I just don't think PowerAxel had the time, patience, and resources to get any further.

05 Chevy Z71 5.3L, 18x9 KMC XD Spy Wheels, 275/70R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Cherry Bomb Exhaust, K&N Drop in, Predator TWEAKED
unreligion

Post by unreligion »

nothing wrong with korean cars bro
Last edited by unreligion on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unreligion

Post by unreligion »

heres mine ;]
Attachments
sk meet.jpg
sk meet.jpg (47.26 KiB) Viewed 27373 times
Last edited by unreligion on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unreligion

Post by unreligion »

So I dont have the 2.0T but the 2.4NA but i would love to see a tune for the 2.4 so we can start adding after market Turbos and what not.
05Z71

Post by 05Z71 »

Another thing to look at, Mike, is the GenCoupe guys are wanting open source and have gone as far as putting a "bounty" up to get there. They already have folks that offered to reverse engineer it but would only release canned tunes. Anything custom would have to be done by a professional tuner on a dyno. They turned that down with an almost unanimous vote.

If you focused on the Optima/Sonata platform the market is there to corner since we really have nothing right now. And the market is huge! Throw in a few guys that could offer what Lew does and the market grows even more. This car could easily squeeze another 30hp out with a 91 octane canned tune that bumps the boost 2-3 psi. PowerAxel saw 300+ by bumping the boost to around 20 psi.

If anyone could get this done, I stand behind the fact that it would be DS. If I didn't believe that then I wouldn't be a repeat customer with all my GM vehicles. I as well as many others would love to see you guys be first to market with a tuner.

Mike_Levy

Post by Mike_Levy »

unreligion wrote:nothing wrong with korean cars bro
Remember the Excel? The Scoupe? The Sephia? The Festiva? Nothing wrong with them?

Even now they neuter their vehicles. Whats the point of claiming 274hp if only 200 can ever get to the ground due to torque management? Its as bad as Ford with the GT500. They claim 662hp, but they fail to mention that it happens at a point in the rpm band that the computer only lets you use 8 seconds at a time.
mikel

Post by mikel »

Mike_Levy wrote:
unreligion wrote:nothing wrong with korean cars bro
Remember the Excel? The Scoupe? The Sephia? The Festiva? Nothing wrong with them?

Even now they neuter their vehicles. Whats the point of claiming 274hp if only 200 can ever get to the ground due to torque management? Its as bad as Ford with the GT500. They claim 662hp, but they fail to mention that it happens at a point in the rpm band that the computer only lets you use 8 seconds at a time.
hold on now...the GT500 makes torque that will leave even your LSA jealous, dont go there :)

Stock blower, 700 ft/lbs at 2800 rpm...try it ;)
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
Mike_Levy

Post by Mike_Levy »

I expect to be well over that when I finally get it dynoed. Expecting to see the 750 area for torque, and hp around 700, at rpms that the computer won't keep me from using.

Plus, you don't see me advertising numbers that my computer won't let me actually put down. H/K does it, and with Ford only allowing it for 8 seconds, they're doing it. Thats why their huge 200mph boast is BS, because the car won't actually do it. Motor Trend only got 196.

I don't care about having less power, if I can actually use what I have. Thats one thing GM is good at. Except not letting us top out in 6th gear. If they would allow that, then I could make a 200mph claim too. The stick does 193 with 3.73s, so the auto should easily do 200 with 3.23s.
05Z71

Post by 05Z71 »

Mikel, I'llshoot you an email when I get to work. I really didn't come here asking for help just to have the thread clogged up with Levy's typical BS. I guess some things just never change, and some people never grow up. :drivingbad:

OKOptimaSX

Post by OKOptimaSX »

I have been a Predator Tuner fan ever since I purchased one for my 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 that I pimped out. Predator's tunes were easy to install and I loved driving with them..

On that note, I would LOVE if Predator created a tuner for my new love, the Kia Optimas SX 2.0 liter Turbo engine. This little engine is pretty sweet right now, but I can only imagine what a tune would be like to accentuate my aftermarket intake and exhaust.

Please Mikel, for the love of God, create a tuner for our rides. I will be one of the first to buy one from you guys!!

Very Respectfully,

Martin L. McDonald
USN (Ret)