Post your "DiabLEW" Custom Tune experiences here!!

Predator support for GM gas vehicles

Moderators: mikel, 06MonteSS

morg9819

Post your "DiabLEW" Custom Tune experiences here!!

Post by morg9819 »

I just wanted to start a thread for people who have gotten a custom tune from Lew. Here, you can post your tuning experience with lew and your overall experience. Hopefully this will help those thinking about buying a custom tune from Lew.

I will start...

I currently have a diabLEW tune in my 2007 5.3L Chevy Silverado. The tune is not yet completely dialed in 100% and already.... the 87 tune out performs the canned Diablo (91 octane +) tune. I can't wait to feel the 91 DiabLEW!! the truck shifts firmer and faster, power gains are very noticeable on top of the canned diablo tunes, and the overall driving experience is a lot funner and FASTER! :wink: On top of all this, the truck gets better gas milliage!

Now, when i get on the gas the truck in the lower RPM range is equivalent or slightly faster than the canned diablo. However, when the truck gets up into the mid to higher rpm range the thing has a power-band like pull. The only way i can describe it is... its like a 2-stroke or like a turbo spooling. In these higher ranges there is a BIG difference, not to mention the firmer, faster shift between each gear.

As fo gas milliage... I drive 6 hours once a month. It usually takes about 1-1/4 tank(s) for this drive. This time... It only took 3/4 of a tank! I know some of you will think that my driving style was probably different on this trip. But believe me.... I was not easy on the pedal whatsoever, Im a very aggressive driver. In actuality, I probably went WOT a lot more while speeding up and taking off just because the feel of getting set back in the seat is still new and exciting.

When I refer to posting your "tuning experience," I chose the word experience for a reason. Lew is a kind, funny, down to earth man that takes the time to talk to you and do things right- he doesn't take your money and then do what hes got to do. The man actually cares about the services he offers. There is a general guideline of the tuning process that Lew describes on his website. However, Lew doesn't limit your custom tune to 2 or 3 revisions and he is done. Nope, he will revise your tune until it is as close to perfection as possible. We are currently on my fourth revision. Being a perfectionist, i would much rather have multiple revisions to achieve perfection than a limited number of tries to settle with a "good" tune. You definitely get your moneys worth with a custom tune from Lew.

If revising your tune until it is perfect, no matter the number of hours it takes isnt enough... Lew also analyzes new logs and makes any adjustments that the tune needs if you happen to add another modification.

In a nut shell, that is my experience with my Custom Diablew tune thus far. Post yours! :D
reredrider

RE: Post your "DiabLEW" Custom Tune experiences he

Post by reredrider »

I have a 2007 Silverado Z-71 Max with the Gas 6.0L, Borla cat back and soon Vararam CAI and vette servo.
I loaded the 91oct canned tune first and it made a noticeable difference. I read a lot of posts about this "LEW" guy and checked out the site to find out what a Diablew was. Well I fell for it and made contact for a custom tune, believing all the Internet hype about it and all the "wow" comments, I stuck my neck out to get one of these tunes. I should have listened to my instincts and not believed all that stuff they were saying about these dang tunes because I tell you what,,,I am sure the Forum Natzi's will erase these comments once they read this but hopefully the word will get out to enough people first.
If you read the first post, that was good, we have about the same trucks and characteristics except for my 6.0L. He was referring to the common low end restrictions the Silverados have with the torque management and all the other comments about the performance of the truck and the tune are dead on. I say that to keep me from having to type so much crap about this custom tune. Now to the real truth about the "Custom Lew Tune", and trust me I am not on the payroll as this first guy that put this on here obviously is. When I loaded the custom tune in my truck, I drove it for a while to let the truck re-learn what I had just fed it. Well come time to check this tune out I was noticing some changes under regular driving conditions. Then one night I snuck out to find me a spot to see what this tune could do. Well I know you all have to hanging on the edge of your seat by now so hear it is. I launched the big 6.0L from a dead stop and it instantly, on dry pavement lit up my five day old 33" Nitto Terra Grappler all Terrain tires and continued to burn them for about 35 feet even with the traction control light blinking on the dash and then they hooked up and the truck smashed me in the seat and held me there until it broke to change at 5700rpm in to second. Second came on strong and just like in the above post it was like a 50hp shot of Nitrous hit and that 7000lb truck held me back in the seat until it changed in to third around 96mph, it went in to third and started the same process all over again, at that time I felt the lump in the seat and I knew I could not get the windows down at this speed so I had to let out... well now that the smell is gone out of my truck, I think you know where I stand on the Custom Tune from Lew. The guy responds very fast and if you describe how your vehicle is running and what you wish it could do, well he will do his best to get it there. Just out of the blue he sent me a new tune yesterday to try some new tricks for my truck. Im headed to Wal-mart to get another 6 pack of Haines underwear...Lew you owe me for several pairs of shorts but keep it up and everybody else if your wondering, Get the Tune..
06MonteSS

Re: RE: Post your "DiabLEW" Custom Tune experience

Post by 06MonteSS »

reredrider wrote:I should have listened to my instincts and not believed all that stuff they were saying about these dang tunes because I tell you what,,,I am sure the Forum Natzi's will erase these comments once they read this....
what the???? :lol: :lol:
reredrider wrote:...and trust me I am not on the payroll as this first guy that put this on here obviously is...
hahahahaa!! NOT!!! he's just a very happy and satisfied tune recipient like you are, except he has better control of his bodily functions than you do... :lol: :lol:
reredrider wrote:Im headed to Wal-mart to get another 6 pack of Haines underwear...Lew you owe me for several pairs of shorts but keep it up and everybody else if your wondering, Get the Tune..
AAAHAHAHHAHAAAA!!!!
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
06MonteSS

RE: Re: RE: Post your "DiabLEW" Custom Tune experi

Post by 06MonteSS »

Thanks guys!!! Glad you are very happy/satisfied with the custom tunes!! Your kind words are greatly appreciated!!!

:)
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
2500hdandk20

Post by 2500hdandk20 »

Its true about lew, this last update he did, did wonders to my truck! He is so fast in responses and always remembers a tunee and everything about your vehicle. The most important thing is that it is worth every penny!
2009 2500HD 4X4 LY6 6L90E
K&N drop-in
Diablew TUNE!
Morgoth

Post by Morgoth »

AMEN! And I'll step it up a notch,cuz I've got the pops of gas engines,the mighty 8.1 Liter big block!!! it's sad to see the looks on diesel guys faces when i blow their doors off at a stop,or a drag race.....0-60 in 6.5 to 7 seconds on a STEEP uphill on ramp,hitting 95 MPH when I get on the freeway! my brother took a ride and commented that's it is faster than his friends new mustang lol....I can only imagine how good it'll really be when I can tune my Allison tranny! Oh it's a wee truck too,ext. cab long bed 4x4
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD,496 w Allison 5 spd,Vararam Vr6 and Vr3,Flowmaster 50 series,TD TBS,Amsoil lubes,MSD wires,Edelbrock shocks,U7193Image
possum07

Post by possum07 »

Yes Diablew Tunes are amazing. Lew shaved a whole second off my 0-60 time and a second or two off 0-100. I was amazed at what he really could do and was skeptical at first when he sent the first tune and my original diablo tune was faster, but after all was said and done he got it running right and I aint scared to get on it when another truck rolls up beside me. Now am considering to install a Vette Servo. Thanks Lew for the amazing work. He also did all this in 3 days! Highly recommend a custom Diablew Tune to anyone looking for great performance gains!!
2004 z71 5.3 DiabLew Tune, K&N CAI, AirAid Throttle Body Spacer, Flowmaster super 40 series, 33 BF Goodies, Purple HID's
bschnorf

Re: Post your "DiabLEW" Custom Tune experiences here!!

Post by bschnorf »

Tunes tunes tunes!!! I need a custom tune from lew!!! Only question is which canned tune should I pick to have him customize 87 or Diablo? Other than the type of gas you have to put in is there a better suited tune for my 2014 Silverado 5.3 with only a k&n63 for a mod?
06MonteSS

Post by 06MonteSS »

I replied to your other post in the other section...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
Justme

Post by Justme »

My truck is a 2005 Hummer H2 rolling on 37x12.50-17 Cooper STTs. When I put the 37s on I needed to do something to correct the speedo. I decided to get a tuner and started looking around.

I chose a DiabloSport tuner a couple years ago because after a lot of reading and research online, I found that Lew does custom tuning for DiabloSport users. I read endless reviews on his tunes, and have yet to find a single bad one. In fact, I have not even found any ho-hum ones. They are all rave reviews. That is what made my decision.

I found a used Predator on Ebay and I have been running my truck with the Diablo 91 tune with the correction for the tires for a couple years. For whatever reason, I just never got around to diong the custom tune until now. :punisher:

Today I got my first revision back from him and installed. I must say, he is fast! I emailed him all the files, and he had the custom tune back to me in about 15-20 minutes. Despite me pestering him with emails full of questions in the mean time!

Other than just making it run at its best, my specific requests were to eliminate the torque management :evil: and also to disable the traction control. My other big gripe was the horribly annoying lag or delay in the throttle.

Does it work? First impressions:

I IMMEDIATELY noticed that the delay in the throttle pedal was gone. Before, if I quickly floored it and released it nothing would happen. There was enough of a delay that I could release it before it did anything. Now, I can't blip it fast enough for it to not react! I would say it reacts about the same as my old carbed small block 400.

From a dead stop, it has always felt like it was in second gear until about 3000 RPM. Then it would start to pull hard. Now, it jumps and pulls hard immediately. The RPM climb is steady. Before you could watch the tach slowly rise, and then about 2800-3000 it sped way up as the power came on.

The shifts are firmer, and the shift points are higher. If it is floored, it now holds 1st all the way to 6000 RPM, which is almost 50 MPH! :shock:

I also notice under normal driving, the up-shifts happen at a little higher MPH. If you are driving slow, like through a parking lot, or on a long driveway, it will stay in 1st. Whereas before it would almost immediately shift up to 2nd if there was no load, then when you gave it a little gas or a slight incline it would shift back down. Now it acts more like you would drive it if it was a manual.

On a loose gravel road I floored it from a dead stop in 4Hi unlocked. It spun some of the wheels enough for the "traction active" notice to come on in the dash. I can assure you THAT has never happened before! However, I did not notice the usual bog that comes with that notice. It just kept pulling hard. I then drove the left front wheel up a bank to off-load the LR and RF wheels and make them spin to further test the traction control. There did not seem to be any braking action being given to the spinning wheels. 8) He explained that the system is still on, hence the notice on the dash when it senses spinning, but he has turned off all torque management, and the functions that is does to control spinning. So I guess it thinks it is working, but it is actually just telling itself to do nothing. :blowup:

I can't wait to get more miles on it and feel it get better! All I can say is WOW! Why did I not do this two years ago???? :punisher:

Thank you Lew!!! :drivingbad:

A couple pics of my truck and what I do with it:

mikel

Post by mikel »

Awesome.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com