Can you unlock VIN lock?

Predator support for GM gas vehicles

Moderators: mikel, 06MonteSS

jcbst12

Can you unlock VIN lock?

Post by jcbst12 »

I was wondering if I purchased a programmer off of Ebay that was already VIN locked (used on a vehicle) is there a way this can be reset via a "reactivating fee"?
06MonteSS

RE: Can you unlock VIN lock?

Post by 06MonteSS »

depends on the model Predator... some can be, and some cannot... if it can, you would have to mail the predator to diablosport and pay $100...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
jcbst12

Post by jcbst12 »

Its a U7198, they guy selling says $50 and an email from you guys with a code. I kind of figured he was pulling my leg.
99' Silverado 5.3L 4X4
- 4" Cold Air Intake
- Throttle Body Spacer
- 180 Powerstat
- Predator Programmed 93 (Modified)
- Clear Corners
- 17" GMC 6-Spoke Rims
- Alpine and MTX System
06MonteSS

Post by 06MonteSS »

a "code" he's referring to may be the code needed to force a restore of an original backup... but the original backup that's in the Predator is gonna be from HIS vehicle... and forcing HIS backup to YOUR car will kill your car... then you could be looking at buying a new PCM as well...

But Mike from Diablosport will know better, and I'm sure he'll be chiming in...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
jcbst12

Post by jcbst12 »

Ok thanks! I'm going to continue looking but unless I can swing a hell of a deal on his, I'm just going to go elsewhere.
99' Silverado 5.3L 4X4
- 4" Cold Air Intake
- Throttle Body Spacer
- 180 Powerstat
- Clear Corners
- 17" GMC 6-Spoke Rims
- Alpine and MTX System
mikel

Post by mikel »

No, this can most likely not be unlocked.
IF it has revision 1.03 and the last tune written is the stock tune, it can then be unlocked, but only if both of those conditions are met, and then it would be $99 + shipping.

Thanks
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
jcbst12

Post by jcbst12 »

No, this can most likely not be unlocked.
IF it has revision 1.03 and the last tune written is the stock tune, (meaning if the last tune written to the previous vehicle was its original stock setting, or an unmodified "performance" setting from the Predator? Im guessing it would be the original PCM configuration for the vehicle.) Sorry to be such a pain!
99' Silverado 5.3L 4X4
- 4" Cold Air Intake
- Throttle Body Spacer
- 180 Powerstat
- Clear Corners
- 17" GMC 6-Spoke Rims
- Alpine and MTX System
06MonteSS

Post by 06MonteSS »

correct... those older ones, even though the stock/original backup tune was restored to the vehicle, they would still remain locked - but could be unlocked by diablosport.... but since the owner of that predator has NOT restored his original backup to his car, that predator is now a paperweight to anyone else but him...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
jcbst12

Post by jcbst12 »

Ok, I figured that was the case. Thanks guys!
99' Silverado 5.3L 4X4
- 4" Cold Air Intake
- Throttle Body Spacer
- 180 Powerstat
- Clear Corners
- 17" GMC 6-Spoke Rims
- Alpine and MTX System
jcbst12

Post by jcbst12 »

Ok they guy did remove it after all so it just needs reset. Do I send it to you guys then? $100?
99' Silverado 5.3L 4X4
- 4" Cold Air Intake
- Throttle Body Spacer
- 180 Powerstat
- Clear Corners
- 17" GMC 6-Spoke Rims
- Alpine and MTX System
06MonteSS

Post by 06MonteSS »

are you sure/positive that it is revision 1.03 and the last tune written is the stock tune??? after the predator first boots up, the revision number will be shown at the top of the screen.

if so, you'll need to fill out an RMA request:

https://www.diablosport.com/index.php?m ... ay&pid=108

but also give Mike a call to let him know that it's gonna be coming, what's going on with it, the history of it, what needs to be done to it, etc etc...

his contact info is in his reply above..
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
jcbst12

Post by jcbst12 »

He can't get the revision number as he no longer has the vehicle it worked on. I thought once they were removed it would work when loaded onto another vehicle? Or is this were the revision number comes in?
99' Silverado 5.3L 4X4
- 4" Cold Air Intake
- Throttle Body Spacer
- 180 Powerstat
- Clear Corners
- 17" GMC 6-Spoke Rims
- Alpine and MTX System
06MonteSS

Post by 06MonteSS »

don't need the vehicle to see the revision number... just power it up by plugging it into another vehicle or use the power adapter... once it boots up to the main screen, it'll show the revision number at the top...

sounds fishy to me anyway, I would just walk away from this guy...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
jcbst12

Post by jcbst12 »

I agree, I wouldn't have bothered except he was willing to part with it for $100. I mean thats not bad. Its scratched up but I'll maybe only use it 5 or 6 times until it get my truck dialed in, then I'm done. Speaking of which, the "custom tunes" you can download off the internet for the predator.....how does that work? I mean I know you have to have the PC kit, but are the tunes from you guys? Other users? My whole worry is that there are no Speed Shops around here and I want to dial my truck in. I have some bolt on stuff that my Hypertech didn't like (Cold Air Intake, Throttle Body Spacer, Performance MAF, exhaust, etc..) and Im hoping this can be done with the Predator and some trial and error. Any thoughts on the best way to pull this off? Thanks again.
99' Silverado 5.3L 4X4
- 4" Cold Air Intake
- Throttle Body Spacer
- 180 Powerstat
- Clear Corners
- 17" GMC 6-Spoke Rims
- Alpine and MTX System
06MonteSS

Post by 06MonteSS »

yeah, it's not bad until you get it and realize it's locked, or is the wrong revision and can't be unlocked by diablo... then you bought yourself a paperweight.

so $100 for the tuner, and another $100 +shipping to send it to diablo to unlock it (if it can be)... you're better off throwing in another $100 or so to buy a brand new one...

anyway...

the diablo guys here can have simple custom tunes made for ya, for things like headers, deleting codes, etc etc.. for major stuff, like cams and such, you'd need to go to a tune shop/dyno tune.

there are no tunes available from users online... the tunes that people have will only work in their vehicles, as they incorporate the VIN number of your car and will not work on other cars.

your bolt-on mods will work fine with a Predator, except for one - that aftermarket MAF... time and time again I've seen those totally screw up a tune, idle issues, etc etc... they're usually not worth the cost of the shipping :lol:

you should put your stock MAF back on before tuning the car...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune