blew fuse trying to backup oem tune, now can't read vehicle

Predator support for GM diesel vehicles

Moderator: mikel

tomkemp1989

blew fuse trying to backup oem tune, now can't read vehicle

Post by tomkemp1989 »

I'm new to the forum because I've never had any problems until yesterday. I went into limp mode because I was pussyfooting passing a car in overdrive (it happens, had my programmer turned up higher than I should have for daily driver.) I decided to back it down for awhile. When I went back to the stock tune, everything was fine. I totally removed the programmer but had a problem due to an aftermarket radio adapter. I removed the adapter, forced the factory tune back on, no problem after that. With the radio adapter again unplugged, and abs fuse pulled, I went to reprogram the computer because I realized my speedometer was off due to larger tires. While backing up the oem tune, the accessory fuse popped. The programmer went blank, so I replaced the fuse, bit now the programmer "can't read vehicle type" and won't do anything for me. I have an 05 Chevy LLY Duramax, and I've used this programmer for years with minimal problems and I love it, and now that my speedometer is wrong and I'm getting terrible mileage (compensating mileage ratio for correct miles traveled) I need it back. I don't know what to do and I need help! Can anyone save my predator?
mikel

Re: blew fuse trying to backup oem tune, now can't read vehi

Post by mikel »

will it read options/troubleshooting/show vin?
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
tomkemp1989

Post by tomkemp1989 »

No, it gives a waiting screen and then it can't display anything, can't read trouble codes, can't recognize vehicle type.
mikel

Post by mikel »

sounds like there is a loss of communication somewhere, is it possible that there is another blown fuse somewhere?
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
tomkemp1989

Post by tomkemp1989 »

Well, I have no idea what other communication would be causing an error, but when I plug it in to the OBD2 port, it lights up and works. It says the last tune written is the "Original Backup" on the screen. When you try to ask it anything (Show VIN [Can't read vehicle type] -or- Performance Tune "Agree, Key is on, engine not running, wait 1-5 seconds" and then it says [Unable to read vehicle type (1). Please make sure the ignition is on and the engine is NOT running.]) I'm not so sure its still married to the vehicle, but it sure isn't acting like the two of them want to communicate, and I don't know what else could be causing this to happen. If the programmer is UNPLUGGED, the truck starts and runs normal, stock tune, stock everything. BUT, when the programmer is plugged in, no matter what, the truck will start and immediately shut off. This was never the case before, because I had been able to read live data using the predator before. I bought the damn thing once, and I am not about to send another $130 to unlock it, or pay $100 because I bought the dang thing back in 2011 and don't have a receipt. I sat on the phone waiting for tech support for over an hour today, and that recording gets pretty monotonous after awhile. I have given up on that route of tech support, this seems to be the only way to get anything accomplished. Thanks Mike L for at least noticing that I have a problem, at least one of you guys there is doing something constructive. Keep up the good work, and let me know if theres anything else I can check on my end, or what I can do to the programmer to see what the hell is going on with that. Thanks again Mike.

Thomas
tomkemp1989

Post by tomkemp1989 »

With the stock radio and everything back to factory, it's still acting the same. With all fuses left in the vehicle, it resets the radio time every time I try to connect it. Back when it worked right, I never had any of these problems. I know there has to be a reset feature on this programmer. From what you've seen happen with everything I do and post the reactions, you should be able to tell that I'm not trying to scam anyone, I just want it reset so it sees my truck again. Everything works with the truck, it works without any problems, so there's obviously something wrong with communication with the predator. I really wish I could talk in person with someone there. I really feel like customer support isn't anyone's concern there. I thought a lot of the product and the company until all this.
tomkemp1989

Post by tomkemp1989 »

Mike? Anybody? There's no point in trying to call. I can get sales in a heartbeat, but tech support I've waited hours with no answer on the phone...
mikel

Post by mikel »

do you have access to any other 99-06 GM truck we can plug the tool into to see if it will communicate there?
Even a 99-02 Camaro/Trans Am or 99-04 Vette would work....
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
tomkemp1989

Post by tomkemp1989 »

Not at the moment. I can probably find someone tho. What exact am I going to be looking for if I do to determine communication? Or, which functions? Thanks
mikel

Post by mikel »

options/troubleshooting/show VIN or show calid
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
tomkemp1989

Post by tomkemp1989 »

I'll try and see if I can find another vehicle to test it on. Please keep an eye on me here though. Like I said, trying to get anyone on the phone is downright impossible. Thanks again
mikel

Post by mikel »

support@diablosport.com is the quickest way to get in touch with us anytime you need it :)
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
tomkemp1989

Post by tomkemp1989 »

I can't have a truck around for awhile. I'll look into it when I do. You guys have probably seen about everything with these things. What happens when it loses power during oem backup? The memory is probably corrupt. Whatever kind of memory, eprom, or whatever, it never received the right sequence of integers and bits, and when parity or a checksum is off, the memory needs to be cleared. I'm no expert on your product and it's engineering technique and practices, but I've got a general understanding of digital circuits. If this was college and everything was modular, I'd pull the memory and start over, but I can't go ahead doing that because if I issue it a command to clear the wrong memory, then the programmer is gonna be useless altogether. I'd think you guys would be able to pinpoint it fairly easily
mikel

Post by mikel »

simplest test is to see if it will talk to another vehicle :)

if so, it means the issue is int he truck....if not, Im sure we can fix the tool.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
tomkemp1989

Post by tomkemp1989 »

Just got back in from break. When plugged into a bone stock 03 Silverado it will not recognize the vehicle for vin, or show trouble codes. Vehicle type couldn't be read.