DataViewer 3.0/3.1 FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

Questions and comments regarding the DiabloSport data logging tools.

Moderator: mikel

johnc

DataViewer 3.0/3.1 FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

Post by johnc »

Question: Can I open log files created with the CMR_DAT viewer with new the DataViewer?

A1: No. The new DataViewer uses a brand new file format that is much less restrictive. An unfortunate side effect is that the two are incompatible.

Question: Will the new DataViewer ever support my Predator?

A2: Yes, eventually, but there is no set schedule for supporting the older tools. First priority goes to new products. I drive a 98 stang, and I would LOVE to get the DataViewer working on it, but the needs of the business come first.

Question: Something is not working right...

A3: Make sure you have the latest release! The DataViewer is under continuing development. If you find a new problem, PLEASE post it here. The contents of your runtime.txt file would also prove useful. There are a few problems with USB-to-Serial that we cannot help because the problem lies within external drivers. Anything else, though, we will do our best to fix.

Also, see the USB-to-Serial Drivers Topic in the General Support forum.

Question: I have Windows Vista and...

First, if you are running Windows Vista and using a USB-to-Serial cable, run Windows Update repeatedly until there are no more updates available. Hopefully this will install updated drivers for your USB-to-Serial Converter.

Second, the DataViewer may not run under a restricted Vista user account. Attempting to do so will result in a runtime error from the MSVC runtime library, probably when it tries to access the serial port.

For the users reporting that the application will not run at all under Vista, this is very likely their issue.

For the users who have serial ports, a possible workaround may be as follows:

A: Modify your user account to have Administrative privileges.

B: Right-click on the DataViewer icon and select "Run as administrator". You will need to know an Administrative account username and password for this to work.

C: Find the DataViewer executable (DataViewer.exe) in the folder you installed it to. Right click on the DataViewer file, click "Properties". Find Compatibility and set the compatibility for Windows XP.

Another thing to try: Windows Vista has a feature called Data Execution Prevention (DEP). DEP is normally off. But some PCs with Vista pre-installed have started coming with DEP already put ON. This can cause problems with many programs, especially those that use some kind of licensing wrapper to protect the code against piracy. This is true of both DSDL and the DataViewer.

Checking your Windows DEP settings:

1. Click on Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System
2. Click on Advanced page tab
3. Click on the button Settings under Performance
4. On the Performance Options that comes up, click on the Data Execution Prevention page tab

The default setting in XP used to be "Turn on DEP for essential programs and services only." If that setting is already used, it won’t cause a problem with other software. However, if the second setting is selected, "Turn on DEP for all programs", then that setting might cause problems with our applications.

Solution: Click on the first setting "Turn on DEP for essential programs and services only." This will fix similar problems with all such applications which can’t run because of DEP setting.

Question: How do I change the COM port for my USB to Serial cable?

1. Start -> Settings -> Control Panel.
2. Double click the System icon to open up your System Properties window.
3. Click Hardware and then Device Manager in the System Properties window.
4. Open up Ports (COM & LPT) and look for your USB device and COM port setting.

if the COM port listed for the USB device is out of range, you will need to reassign the adapter's COM port setting. To do this, click Port Settings and then Advanced. You should then be able to select the COM port (1, 2, 3, or 4) being careful not to select a COM port already in use on your computer.

Question: AFR is inverted on my GM car?

This seems to vary from vehicle to vehicle, cal to cal, so we put a user setting in to invert this value:

Menu -> View -> Settings -> Parameter Modifiers -> E40 Equivalence Ratio - Invert

Question: When I click on the icon to start the DataViewer, something gets re-installed?

We have switched from Microsoft Windows Installers (MSI files) to a third-party (EXE) Installers. MSIs have a built-in virus protection scheme that prevents files from being replaced. If you are seeing this symptom, go into Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs. Remove any item beginning with "DataViewer". Then re-install the latest DataViewer revision and you should be good to go.
cstanley982

Re: DataViewer 3.0/3.1 FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

Post by cstanley982 »

I have windows 8 and I have tried to download data viewer and it will not let me download and install msg keeps saying open in another place I tried to delete everything but still cannot get to install any help would b great