Unable to reload a custom tune onto Predator U7144

Questions and comments specific to the DiabloSport Downloader application.

Moderator: mikel

apex214

Unable to reload a custom tune onto Predator U7144

Post by apex214 »

I reflashed my car with the Ford original tune so I could go through state emissions testing. the person that made my custom tune said that his tune would disappear from the Predator when I did this. He emailed me the .frg file to restore my custom tune. I have so far had total failure trying to send the tune file to the Predator.

I am using a desktop PC with Vista. I got the proper power source and usb-serial cable, got the DSDownloader program running and connected to the Predator, but can not getthe custom tune sent to the unit. The baud rates and COM ports are set on the PC and the Predator. I set the custom communication settings on the Downloader to my Predator model number U7144. I turned off Windows Firewall just in case.

I try to Send Last Saved CMR Tune, pick the custom .frg file the tuner sent me, and get a "need base file" error. Following Downloader's directions I Get Tune File From Predator, I get an error on the Predator saying original backup does not exist on svt_focus tools. I try OPTIONS-CUSTOM TUNE-EXPORT TUNE-Original Backup, and get same error, does not exist on svt_focus tools.

I was able to export from the Predator the "extra tune" listed under Options-Custom Tune-Export Tune (I think it was) so the connection functions anyway.

Basically...not getting very far.

In short...HELP!!

I still have (I am assuming!!) the DiabloSport tune in my car.

Thanks in advance.
johnc

RE: Unable to reload a custom tune onto Predator U7144

Post by johnc »

Per your description, you should car should be flashed back to stock. Unless there is something you left out?

You are correct, DS Downloader needs the both the original backup and the custom tune before it can send the custom tune to the predator.

The Predator should still have a copy of your original backup, but for whatever reason appears to have lost it? It sounds like you need to grab the original backup again from your car. You can do this by going through the process of installing the performance tune again, the first step is to save the original backup, but quit before actually installing the performance tune.

After that, plug back into DS Downloader and try to save your original backup again.

If you are still having problems, give tech support a call on Monday and they can walk you through it.
johnc <at> diablosport.com
apex214

Post by apex214 »

Since Predator does not state explicitly when the original backup has been saved, I reinstalled "performance tune" completely on car. I did not want to unplug at the wrong time and fry everything! I then reconnected to PC, Get File From Predator, and at first Predator threw the "backup does not exist on svt_focus tools. Then (now here's where my short term memory goes to hell! haha) I think I hit Send File again, and chose the .frg file, and it started the transfer. I never actually saw anything regarding the original backup at the end here. After the transfer the Predator Main Menu lists Custom Tune rather than Performance Tune. Success I guess!

Thanks folks!
johnc

Post by johnc »

Success is good, congrats.
michlong

Post by michlong »

i am getting exactly the same problem

i jsut tried reloading the diablo tune, but i get exactly the same message, backup not found on svt_focus tool!! it appears then to back something up but when i try and load a tune onto the predator it tells me the backup file is not valid.
kmac1

Re: RE: Unable to reload a custom tune onto Predator U7144

Post by kmac1 »

michlong wrote:i am getting exactly the same problem

i jsut tried reloading the diablo tune, but i get exactly the same message, backup not found on svt_focus tool!! it appears then to back something up but when i try and load a tune onto the predator it tells me the backup file is not valid.
Are you trying to load the diablo tune to the car or a custom tune to the Predator? Has the tool been on the car before?

Kev
DGatzby1

RE: Re: RE: Unable to reload a custom tune onto Predator U71

Post by DGatzby1 »

John, when I download my Custom Tune from the tool it is a .drg file. is that okay?
Also, I have two custom tunes and it will only backup the last tune written to the car and not the other one. Do I have to load the other tune and then come and download that one so that I can have a copy of both custom tunes?
2006 300C-SRT
Mopar CAI/Toyo 245/275 Stagger
185 T-Stat/Catch Can
DiabloToona CMR Gas tune
Extra "Flex" E-85 tune
johnc

Post by johnc »

The "d" is for dodge, so if your car is a dodge then you are good to go. Yes (PITA, I know) your procedure to grab the custom tunes is correct.
DGatzby1

Post by DGatzby1 »

Yes, I have a Dodge (Chrysler), thanks.
2006 300C-SRT
Mopar CAI/Toyo 245/275 Stagger
185 T-Stat/Catch Can
DiabloToona CMR Gas tune
Extra "Flex" E-85 tune