Board index Trinity Technical Discussion Trinity Dodge Gas 2016 Ram 1500 5.7 8 Speed Trinity/PCM Frustration

2016 Ram 1500 5.7 8 Speed Trinity/PCM Frustration

Post questions about your Trinity for your Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler vehicles here.

Moderator: mikel

Finally got the modified PCM installed, flashed and functioning. New to Diablo - been around Caterpillar engine & transmission ECM's - flashing and configuring for quite a few years. Thought I would be OK to delve into this install with the information given on the website. NOT!! The information in the manuals on this website, plus 99% of what's in the forums out there do not pertain to the 2015/2015 Ram PCM.

After spending the better part of the afternoon on the phone with various levels of DiabloSport tech support, performed a forced cal ID download/upload & finally got the Performance 93 Octane tune flashed.

The main reason I purchased over $900 worth of this stuff for my new truck, was to disable that aggravating damn MDS. On a good day, going downhill, the MDS might give me (and FCA CAFE statistics) 0.5 mpg.

Now, after all this, the option to disable MDS isn't on any of the menus. My calID is: 68265839AF. My vehicle is correctly configured as described in the subject line.

Under Performance - Diablo Tunes - Perf93oct - Install Tune - Modify Parameters, the items available are:
Cooling Fans
Idle
Rev and Speed Limits
Throttle
Tire Size
Traction Control
WOT Fuel
WOT Spark

That's it. Nothing... anywhere under any of the other menus about MDS or active fuel management. Nothing about transmission shift points. Quite different than the capabilities described elsewhere on this website.

Someone please help me out. Do I need a "custom tune"?

Thank you.

We are looking into this and will correct it.
If you export the last tune written from the device and post it here I will make you a tune with MDS disabled asap.

Thanks
Mike Litsch
Powerteq Customer Service Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040x4
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

mikel wrote:
We are looking into this and will correct it.
If you export the last tune written from the device and post it here I will make you a tune with MDS disabled asap.

Thanks

please restore the stock tune then update to this then try again.
Attachments
trinity_diablo_dcx_gas-1t13fe_update.crom
(11.1 MiB) Downloaded 133 times
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040x4

Mike, I really appreciate your prompt reply. You and your team have been most professional and helpful.

I got the tool updated and loaded the 93 perf option again. I'm happy to see that the MDS is now in the "Modify" menu. Thank you. Unfortunately, the throttle and speed limiter options are no longer in there. Not that I forsee the immediate need for those, I would like to know if it's possible to bring those back - along with some transmission options. Shift points and firmness maybe?

TIA,

Bob

gybob wrote:
Mike, I really appreciate your prompt reply. You and your team have been most professional and helpful.

I got the tool updated and loaded the 93 perf option again. I'm happy to see that the MDS is now in the "Modify" menu. Thank you. Unfortunately, the throttle and speed limiter options are no longer in there. Not that I forsee the immediate need for those, I would like to know if it's possible to bring those back - along with some transmission options. Shift points and firmness maybe?

TIA,

Bob

Hmm, thats not right. Let me have them look into this.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040x4

mikel wrote:
gybob wrote:

TIA,

Bob

Hmm, thats not right. Let me have them look into this.

Hello Mike. Just checking in to see if you have made any progress with this.

we're looking into this.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040x4

this update should resolve that.
Attachments
trinity_diablo_dcx_gas-1t13fg_update.crom
(11.1 MiB) Downloaded 153 times
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040x4

mikel wrote:
this update should resolve that.

Hi Mike. I put the new crom in and see now that many of the modifiable parameters have returned. Thank you. Unfortunately the "Throttle" option is still not there.

I really appreciate you and your team's response to my concerns, but I find myself at a crossroads now. After a couple of attempts, the MDS option has thankfully been added and some of the original options have been returned, but I have not received any response, negative or otherwise about my request for transmission related modifiable options. Honestly, the feature set for the premium kit that I purchased is not exactly robust, falling quite short of features listed on the website.

I will very much appreciate your advice on how to proceed. While I'm still within the grace period, should I I return the kit to Diablosports for a full refund? I see some other vendors out there sell the same kit, presumably with varying degrees of programming, tuning and feature support. Maybe I will have more success there. I suspect that perhaps there are some nuances about my particular 2016 calibration that your team has not mastered yet. I understand and appreciate that. I'll be happy to work with your team as a "test" vehicle, but in order to do that I will require responses to my concerns more frequently than every week or so.

I appreciate the skills and expertise of your team as well as the concept of the service that you provide and I'm happy to support your efforts if that is your desire. Please advise - return the kit or...

Thank you,

Bob

After giving the matter serious consideration, I decided that a vehicle that is a bit more performance oriented and NOT equipped with MDS would better suit my needs. Traded the truck in on a new 16 Hellcat Charger. Not quite as good at hauling a sheet of plywood, but it's SO nice to not find myself wondering if there's a tune out there that's just a little better...
Six week old Trinity/PCM kit for sale, purchased here, good price :)

8 speed support is in the works, but no ETA yet. Id keep the trinity and sell the pcm, and get a new pcm mod for the Hellcat ;)
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040x4

Aside from making the rears tire hook up better, I can't imagine what this beast might need, but I suppose I would be interested to see what you guys come up with.

Do you have any interest in making an offer for the PCM?

we dont buy used PCMs for a few reasons, but thank you for the offer.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040x4

Return to Trinity Dodge Gas