Unable to restore original backup after failed tune install

Post questions about your Trinity in your GM diesel applications here.

Moderator: mikel

rayman

Unable to restore original backup after failed tune install

Post by rayman »

I have a Trinity T1000, latest update, which worked fine on my '07 Chevy 1500, 5.3. I restored the original tune before I traded for an '09 2500HD (LMM) Duramax. I went to options, found my '09 vehicle and tried to install the 60hp tune. All started out well and it proceeded to backup original. When the 60hp tune was running, it stopped. Then said "The last tune did not finish. The original will be restored. I hit ok. It then said "Unable to restore original backup." When I pushed the "more info" button, it said "ECM: Error unlock for reflash (-1).

I then plugged it to my laptop via USB and it reads the same: last tune did not finish, the original......and so on. It seems to be stuck trying to restore original, however, the good news is the truck is still running fine after unplugging it. Please tell me the BAD news. Is my Trinity fried for life? Or is my truck screwed up? Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere, did a search w/o finding it.

How do I fix this and get my Trinity back? Perhaps this truck has a tune already on it? Perhaps from a competitor? In which case, I'm in for a dealer trip? I'm baffled and in the meantime, I can't use the Trinity for anything.
rayman

Re: Unable to restore original backup after failed tune inst

Post by rayman »

OK, never mind……I pulled the fuse on the ECM under the hood to check it, and it was fine. Probably not a factor anyway. Got the Trinity hooked up again, making sure the plug was securely fastened. The unit was able to restore the original without a problem. I started the LMM and monitored for awhile and all seemed fine. Ran the codes and there were none. Went online and downloaded latest updates. Held my breath and installed the 80 HP tune. All went well and it now runs like a scalded dog. I haven't had it on the road yet, but city mpg went from 12.1 to 15.3 mpg. (Okay, that was after I took my foot out of it. Just normal stop and go.) More power AND better mileage…..so, yeah, never mind. I'll get the hang of this yet!
mikel

Post by mikel »

good to hear, glad you are enjoying it.

Let us know if you see any odd behavior, but the update likely fixed the issue for you.

Thanks
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
mjf4ster

Post by mjf4ster »

I have a 2008 2500HD LMM Diesel. I just updated the unit, and tried to install the 80HP tune. I skipped the adjustable parameter section. TCM backup failed. ECM backup worked OK. Installation of 80HP tune failed. Unit went into recovery mode and tried to install Original backup. Installation of Original backup failed three times as it cycled through reboot and recovery mode. The ignition was "on" for the entire time.

After the 3rd failed installation of the Original Backup, I turned the ignition off and unplugged the unit. I plugged unit back in and turned ignition on. Installation of Original backup was then successful.

Why did backup of TCM not work?
Whe did installation of 80HP tune from recently updated unit not work?
Why did restoration of Original Backup not work 3X in recovery mode, and require ignition to be cycled and unit to be rebooted to restore?

Thanks - this same unit worked fine on my 2010 Challenger R/T
mikel

Post by mikel »

tcm is not supported for allison, please click the red x anytime it asks if you want to read that.

Is this tool up to date?
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
mjf4ster

Post by mjf4ster »

Yes - the tool was updated two days earlier.
mjf4ster

Post by mjf4ster »

Hi Mike.
So after doing the Registry Reset - I sailed right through the original backup and 40HP Tow Tune installation.
I noticed an immediate 4+ increase in MPG, which is what I was after.
Thanks for the help,
Mike
mikel

Post by mikel »

good deal, glad to hear it.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
jaybird3c

Post by jaybird3c »

Mine is doing same thing. I tried three times with no luck. My vehicle is disable right now and won't turn on in a parking lot. I have tried rebooting but the original back gets to 99% tells me to turn off vehicle then back on. I do that and the progress bar pops up at 99% again and the in tune goes to the scrolling circle for a while then says failed to install original back up. It is stuck in recovery mode
The unit is up to date. And was just sent back to me from you guys cause it was being tested.

I have a 2014 ram 1500, 5.7 hemi all stock