Cleaning out oil before installation

Support for your DiabloSport CatchCan
Hemi1014

Cleaning out oil before installation

Post by Hemi1014 »

I finally ordered my catch can after noticing oil at the bottom of my AFE intake at 58K miles. It appears the oil is coming through the crank case where the breather hose connects because it was dry at the beginning of the tube towards the throttle body. Does anyone have a good link or instructions of what to take off and where to clean before installing the can? Do I just pull out the throttle body? Add cleaner? Any tips/pics for the 5.7 Hemi would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
2009 Challenger RT Auto
AFE STAGE II CAI
U7135 V. 9r29
Catch can
Mike_Levy

Re: Cleaning out oil before installation

Post by Mike_Levy »

That line runs from the valve cover. What happens is, during high rpm running the oil is splashed up and the vacuum from the intake pulls it in. Nothing you can really do about that. The catch can connects to the PCV, which is a different line. To clean out the manifold when you connect that, just pull the TB and wipe it out. Thats enough. You could pull the manifold and clean out the runners, but its not necessary. I wouldn't use any cleaners unless you have high mileage. Then Seafoaming may be in order.

If the valve cover line is bothering you, you could always run 2 cans. Thats what I did on my Jeep, but very few others have followed suit.
2021 BMW M550i xDrive
BMC Drop ins, JB4

2010 Nissan Murano beater
K&N Drop-in
Hemi1014

Post by Hemi1014 »

Thanks for the tips Mike! I'm wondering if perhaps the dealer put in too much oil causing it to splash up like you said. I have never had this problem before. I drive 32 miles to work one way (mostly hwy) and I always check out my intake for oil because i read plenty on here about the need for a catch can. I'm a little disappointed it won't help in this case but I suppose it can't hurt...
2009 Challenger RT Auto
AFE STAGE II CAI
U7135 V. 9r29
Catch can
Hemi1014

Post by Hemi1014 »

I'm hoping the dealer filled the oil too quickly like discussed here and i don't have bigger problems. It was clean oil and soaked all the way to to the bottom of my AFE intake heatshield.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5 ... cai-39698/
2009 Challenger RT Auto
AFE STAGE II CAI
U7135 V. 9r29
Catch can
johnny248

Post by johnny248 »

I have noticed a very small bit of oil residue on the inside of the hose that runs from the driver side valve cover to my Volant intake. That being said, I just inspected my throttle body after 27k and it was very clean. All TB's get dirty just from the air, but I didn't notice any oil type residue. I have myself wondered about putting something in that line in addition to the PCV catch can, but I think if I did it would be something smaller and less expensive. I don't think an actual catch can is needed.

Another question I had is that people are talking about their TB's being so much cleaner after installing the catch cans. I'm not sure what everyone's engines look like, but my PCV port is in the manifold, after the throttle body. I don't know how pcv vapor would travel up into the throttle body and coat it. Seems strange to me.

As far as cleaning, I pulled the pcv hose and there is some serious vacuum pulling through there, especially when raising the RPM. I set my RPM at about 2k and used my professional air intake/fuel injection cleaning kit along with the Throttle Body/Intake cleaning nozzle to mist in the air intake cleaner through the PCV port before I installed the catch can. I'm not sure exactly how well any sort of cleaner would attack that, but I would have no problem using a can of carb clean or throttle body cleaner and spray it through that port with the engine running to help clean out those intake tracks and the valves. Also, Mopar (along with some others) make an excellent cleaner that you spray in the intake and then let hot soak to clean that gunk out. Chrysler actually uses it in some repair procedures to clean intake tracks and intake valves.
'11 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 5.7l Hemi