Diablosport InTune S&B CAI Tune???

Post questions or any issues with your inTune here.
2006 Mustang GT

Diablosport InTune S&B CAI Tune???

Post by 2006 Mustang GT »

I have a 75-5003 S&B CAI and was curious if this pre-installed tune in my Intune would be a good starting point for an otherwise stock 2006 GT 3-valve????
2006 Mustang GT

Re: Diablosport InTune S&B CAI Tune???

No luck going direct to Powerteq...
MagsTuning

Post by MagsTuning »

This referring to the thread in which you already asked about.....https://forum.diablosport.com/viewtopic ... 44&t=82587

The supplied tunes are for a stock vehicle, unless something wild is going on with the MAF curve and S&B states it's a no tune required CAI then your vehicle should behave just fine.

If you feel like something is a miss then log your fuel trims if they're sustained more than 3-5% +/- then I'd say the MAF curve needs to be revised. When logging fuel trims you need to be 1:1 gear, steady throttle input without sudden changes to it.

I'm by no means a Ford tuner but the same principal applies when checking fuel trims. Check around on the forums and find out who the go to tuners are when it comes to tuning Fords with CMR.
2006 Mustang GT

MagsTuning wrote:This referring to the thread in which you already asked about.....https://forum.diablosport.com/viewtopic ... 44&t=82587

The supplied tunes are for a stock vehicle, unless something wild is going on with the MAF curve and S&B states it's a no tune required CAI then your vehicle should behave just fine.

If you feel like something is a miss then log your fuel trims if they're sustained more than 3-5% +/- then I'd say the MAF curve needs to be revised. When logging fuel trims you need to be 1:1 gear, steady throttle input without sudden changes to it.

I'm by no means a Ford tuner but the same principal applies when checking fuel trims. Check around on the forums and find out who the go to tuners are when it comes to tuning Fords with CMR.
Good point.

With the Bama custom tune, (stock intake thus far) i had fuel trims high enough to set too rich faults - as high as 15%. Bama responded with a more conservative tune, but felt power was way down. The 'canned' Diablosport 91 octane tune feels much better and stronger, although not dyno'd yet.

The attached image is from the 91 Octane Diablosport tune.
Attachments
20200116_081252.jpg
20200116_081252.jpg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 5988 times
2006 Mustang GT

Which way does the MAF curve alter the fuel trim???
2006 Mustang GT

MagsTuning wrote:This referring to the thread in which you already asked about.....https://forum.diablosport.com/viewtopic ... 44&t=82587

Ok...i finally got the S&B CAI on the car this afternoon. The fuel trims at idle improved significantly compared to the stock air intake & filter.
Attachments
20200119_173836.jpg
20200119_173836.jpg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 5976 times
mikel

Post by mikel »

This tune is set up perfectly for that CAI, it should be about spot on.

This is not the first time I have heard that our canned tunes felt better than someones custom tunes ;)
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
2006 Mustang GT

mikel wrote:This tune is set up perfectly for that CAI, it should be about spot on.

This is not the first time I have heard that our canned tunes felt better than someones custom tunes ;)
Road test results...

I have just installed the S&B Filters No Tune Required (50 State Legal) # 75-5003 CAI. 
At idle, fuel trims hover on either side of zero.  
At WOT, fuel trims drop to zero
At 60 mph cruise at 3100 rpm (4th gear) LTFT are 8-9%
Should I alter the MAF curve on this, or would a substitute tune be needed???
Thanks for your support....

P.S. In my InTune 1000, I found a tune labeled 'S&B CAI' but nobody can tell me anything about it....
mikel

Post by mikel »

What tune is loaded?

Assuming its the standard 91 or 93 octane tune, it sounds fine.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
2006 Mustang GT

mikel wrote:What tune is loaded?

Assuming its the standard 91 or 93 octane tune, it sounds fine.

91 Octane Canned Diablosport tune...
2006 Mustang GT

Bummed out...

Bama/AM keeps telling me that I have an air leak. I advised them politely that we do a smoke test on everything as SOP and the results are negative. I then advised that when a stock tune is loaded, the trims are normal, even with the S&B intake.

So here is my question...

My car runs better with the 'canned' 91 Octane tune that came in my In-Tune 1000

My only issue is that my cruise fuel trims are in the +7- o 8 % ranges.

Idle and WOT trims are zero.

What can I do - on my own - to bring the trims down to a switching 2-5%???

MAF Curve????

Thanks...
mikel

Post by mikel »

I have a few thoughts.

A no tune required CAI generally adds little to no power, so why go through all of this?
I'd put the stock intake back on, load our canned tune and enjoy the 20-25 hp bump.
If you really want a CAI, look into one of the units that we have preloaded tunes for, add it and the appropriate tune, and experience even more power gains.

FWIW, my experience with any 05-10 GT is that if there is a leak somewhere, there WILL be lean codes.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
2006 Mustang GT

mikel wrote:I have a few thoughts.

A no tune required CAI generally adds little to no power, so why go through all of this?
I'd put the stock intake back on, load our canned tune and enjoy the 20-25 hp bump.
If you really want a CAI, look into one of the units that we have preloaded tunes for, add it and the appropriate tune, and experience even more power gains.

FWIW, my experience with any 05-10 GT is that if there is a leak somewhere, there WILL be lean codes.
Agree with you on the lack of lean codes...

Also, i may also return to stock on the intake too.

IAT's are much higher with the S&B over stock.....
2006 Mustang GT

mikel wrote:I have a few thoughts.

Let me say something here...I have a background in competition Motorsports, held three different competition licenses and ran a dyno...so when I say what I am about to say, I mean no disrespect and I do not have a dyno sheet to back up my opinions. Having siad that, i would like to tell you what i have noticed over the past couple of days..

I've switched back and forth between the 'canned' Diablosport 91 Octane Tune that came in my In-Tune and both the 91 Perf and 91 Race tunes written for me by Bama.

The Diablosport 'canned' 91 Octane Tune pulls harder than the 91 Perf or 91 Race Bama tunes.

Overall, the Diablosport tune is smoother and feels more powerful. It also returns to curb idle sooner at a stop sign, but when shifting through the gears, it is smoother because the RPM doesn't drop between shifts like the Bama tune.

The throttle is super touchy with the Bama tune, so much so that it makes it harder to drive the car smoothly. The Diablosport 'canned' tune is easy to drive, yet has a 1 to 1 pedal/throttle relationship.

When I first bought the In-Tune, I ran this Diablosport 'canned' 91 Octane Tune for about 2 years. Then, I decided to take advantage of my 'Free Tunes For Life' offer that came with my tuner. When I loaded the Bama tune, I kept getting a check engine light (CEL) where I had run the Diablosport tune for 2 years with no CEL and passed smog every time. Bama modified the tune, but it still produced higher fuel trims than the Diablosport, even though the CEL was staying off now.

When I contacted Bama/AM, the first thing they told me was my high fuel trims were caused by an intake air leak. I told them that we smoke test every CAI install and it was negative for a leak. Also, I seldom see a Ford that doesn't spit out a lean mixture fault with even a minor air leak. After that, they now want a full set of datalogs to alter their previously provided 91P and 91R tunes,which is - of course - reasonable, but I am starting to feel like I am just getting nowhere...

I am planning on running FRPP Hot Rod Cams soon and I will need a modified tune to support those cams, but now I am not confident that Bama/AM can pull it off, so my question to you is...

Who can I send my datalogs to that could tweak this 'canned' Diablosport 91 Octane Tune and who can alter that tune for me in the future when I switch to Hot Rod Cams???

Here is what the trims look like tonight on the Diablosport 91 Octane 'Canned' Tune after only 21 miles of driving and I usually see the trims drop even lower after 75-100 miles or so.
Diablosport 91 Octane canned Tune with S&B INtake 01-21-2020.jpg
Diablosport 91 Octane canned Tune with S&B INtake 01-21-2020.jpg (213.25 KiB) Viewed 5942 times
How does this look so far to you????
mikel

Post by mikel »

those trims are nothing to be concerned with, but could be dialed in a bit.

Check out tpctuning.com for a good email tune option here.

Thanks
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com