What additional programming is required???

Post here with any questions specific to the use of the i2 on Chrysler vehicles.

Moderator: sohfast94

pezfighter99

What additional programming is required???

Post by pezfighter99 »

For my i2 i2010, I purchased a 2nd license to tune our 2013 Charger R/T. Even before the i2 will
backup the original tune, a message appears stating "vehicle requires additional programming
before a tune can be applied" or something to that effect. Specifically, what additional tuning is
required??? When tuning our 2009 Challenger SRT8 with the i2, no such message was displayed.
What's the deal here??? Also, if I restore the original backup before any necessary trip to the dealer,
will the additional programming be undone or at least not interfere with any update/re-flash the
dealer might perform???
marcus
mikel

Re: What additional programming is required???

Post by mikel »

on 13-14 models it takes a bit longer to read them due to the bootloader swap, nothing to worry about, just be aware it will take longer than the 09 model.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
pezfighter99

Post by pezfighter99 »

Thanks for the quick reply. I went through the additional programming and factory tune backup and it was
successful. As you stated, it did take quite a bit longer to complete.

I'm quite disappointed though. There was no 89 octane tune available. It was grayed out. Our 2013 R/T has the ability to run on 87 octane fuel (per the factory manual) but 89 octane is recommended. We always use 89 octane for best performance. When I purchased the 2nd license, I had no reason to doubt that a 89 octane performance tune would be available for the 5.7L Hemi as a 91 octane performance tune is available for the 6.1L Hemi (93 octane is recommended for best performance and you also have a 93 octane 6.1L Hemi performance tune).

We have no desire to run the R/T on premium as premium fuel costs up to 30 cents a gallon more than the 89 octane
mid-grade fuel in our state.

IS THERE A 89 OCTANE PERFORMANCE TUNE AVAILABLE FOR THE 5.7L HEMI?? If not , I wasted our money for the
additional license. I was really hoping to greatly reduce or eliminate the factory torque management with a
performance tune. That option is not available on the i2 when simply modifying the factory tune. The only really
useful option when just modifying the factory tune seems to be Shift Firmness.
marcus
mikel

Post by mikel »

running 89 on a HEMI is costing you power, I am positive it will knock and limit power output, they should be run on premium fuel for any performance, and if you wish to increase performance, 89 is not an option as it would require detuning to make it work without losing more power.

Thanks
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
pezfighter99

Post by pezfighter99 »

Hmmm:

I was puzzled by your response that the lower compression 5.7L Hemi would benefit
that much from premium fuel. After some research, unbeknownst to me, back in
2009, Chrysler LLC raised the compression on the 5.7L from 9.6 to 10.5.

At 10.5 to 1, premium fuel can be beneficial for increased performance. So, I'm assuming
that for marketing purposes (i.e. increased sales), Chrysler LLC "detuned" the 5.7L Hemi to
operate on 87 and 89 octane fuel. Correct??

My main interest when purchasing the 2nd license was reducing or eliminating torque
management. Off the line acceleration is greatly influenced by the factory's torque
manipulation (i.e. it sucks). My wife drives the car the most and has frequently complained
about even using 89 octane gas so in our case premium fuel is not really an option I want
pursue.

How do I get a 89 octane compatible tune that lessens or eliminates the factory torque
management and also firms up the shifts???

Thanks
marcus
mikel

Post by mikel »

Id say you want to look into a custom tune, but again, its going to have to reduce timing to keep it from knocking, which is going to reduce power output.

Log your car stock with 89 and I bet its almost constantly knocking.

Thanks
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

pezfighter99 wrote:Hmmm:

I was puzzled by your response that the lower compression 5.7L Hemi would benefit
that much from premium fuel. After some research, unbeknownst to me, back in
2009, Chrysler LLC raised the compression on the 5.7L from 9.6 to 10.5.

At 10.5 to 1, premium fuel can be beneficial for increased performance. So, I'm assuming
that for marketing purposes (i.e. increased sales), Chrysler LLC "detuned" the 5.7L Hemi to
operate on 87 and 89 octane fuel. Correct??

My main interest when purchasing the 2nd license was reducing or eliminating torque
management. Off the line acceleration is greatly influenced by the factory's torque
manipulation (i.e. it sucks). My wife drives the car the most and has frequently complained
about even using 89 octane gas so in our case premium fuel is not really an option I want
pursue.

How do I get a 89 octane compatible tune that lessens or eliminates the factory torque
management and also firms up the shifts???

Thanks
Very interesting thread. I was thinking along the same lines as the OP in that in my 2011 300C 5.7 I wanted to maintain using 89 octane but decrease the torque management so it would have more pep down low. I sent an email to Johan and explained that I really liked the canned 91 Octane DS tune but wanted to be able to run 89 octane gas. He fixed me right up. Now I and my wife (same reason as OP) are happy campers.

The thing that does intrigue me about this discussion is DS does offer an 87 octane tune for our 2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 that actually increases HP over stock. Exactly how can that be but they cannot do the same for the 5.7 cars?

Inquiring minds want to know. :)
2011 300C-Tungsten, Johan tune, reso delete, Lockpick C8, modified airbox
mikel

Post by mikel »

because the truck is calibrated to run on 87 from the factory, the cars are not...hence the need to detune for use of less than premium fuel on the cars.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com