SRT-4 dies at 13 psi boost

Post here with any questions specific to the use of the i2 on Chrysler vehicles.

Moderator: sohfast94

JollyKreiger

SRT-4 dies at 13 psi boost

Post by JollyKreiger »

Just got my 2003 SRT-4 neon. Runs great up until 13 psi of boost then it flatout stops pulling at makes a terrible noise. From what the P.O. said, it sounds like hitting the rev limiter.
A couple of things.
Its got an AGP turbo kit, from what I can tell its a .50 trim turbo, the whole kit.
I3 controller. There is a tune on it labeled to match the company that did the 300 hp dyno run that I have tried as well as the base tune.

It is hard starting unless I let the fuel prime up, but the fuel pressure stays at 60 psi all the time when running.
I also noticed the A/F ratio is constantly lean. Between 14:1-15.5:1.
The P.O. stated that the car would run around 12:1 then started running 10:1, then suddenly when it started doing this thing with the boost pressure it started running lean like it does now.
Apparently all this started happening while passing a semi.

Some other things I have checked, the MAP sensor seems to rise smoothly with the boost gauge although I never seen it go over 12 psi.
The knock sensor never exceeds .8v (i have no Idea what that means otherwise)
The speedometer on the dash quit working after I bought it (although I think that's unrelated).
When it starts to limit itself I can pedal it, hear the BOV release then get back on the power and it pulls fine until it hits 13 psi.
It doesn't do it any other time, only at 13 psi boost. Doesn't matter the RPM, Speed or anything else that I can tell, just boost pressure.
I checked the plugs and they were around 032" gap, I closed them to just under 030" (I used a wire gapper). They looked very clean, except the base which was all sooty.

I am kinda at a loss here, is there something I am missing that will limit the engine to 13 PSI boost
MAP sensor? is there way to check that throughout the entire pressure range and would that cause a problem like this.
What should the knock sensor be reading voltage wise.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.
fixit

Re: SRT-4 dies at 13 psi boost

Post by fixit »

i don't think it a diablosport issue..
autozone loans fuel pressure gauges.. try taping to the windshild and do a pull... my guess is your fuel pressure is dropping.. (weak pump, bad o ring etc..)
that would also explain the hard start and popping under load (aka lean)
mikel

Re: SRT-4 dies at 13 psi boost

Post by mikel »

Yeah, if the custom tune was set up for the specifci combo and it ran good, but now shows 14:1 or above at WOT, theres gotta be a fueling issue. Most likely pump as suggested.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com