Diablo Killed my Truck

Post here with any questions you have regarding theuse of the i2 on supported Ford applications.

Moderator: sohfast94

rcanzano

Diablo Killed my Truck

Post by rcanzano »

Loaded 87 tune - no problems.
Loaded 93 tune, change tire size, minor shift mod, - worked great for about 5 miles

Then - Service advanced trac warning, service wrench, limp mode

Loaded ORIGINAL backup (stock) - Service advanced trac warning, service wrench, limp mode

Show trouble codes - PCM:P3800: ISO/SAE Reserved

Clear code

Same thing - Service advanced trac warning, service wrench, limp mode, PCM:P3800: ISO/SAE Reserved
mikel

Re: Diablo Killed my Truck

Post by mikel »

so it still starts and runs?

Please give us a call with the tool powered up in the truck so we can check it out.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
rcanzano

Post by rcanzano »

I did

Several times

Same results

Truck dead - At Dealer

#1 Your tuners are not "Accurate" code readers - P3800 is a generic code that means nothing. Tech support told me to go to Autozone & have the closed read.

#2 Was told by tech support (in so many words) - "Your on your own" Unwilling to even pay for diagnostic fees or reimburse for them.

#3 Was told by tech support - "Some vehicle just don't like being tuned"

#4 Was told by tech support - "Don't tell dealer a tuner was on the vehicle". Well, guess what, I TOLD HIM!! And he thanked me, he said, "That helps us a lot. Most people won't admit to having a tuner on their vehicle. I makes our job easier when we know whats been done to a vehicle. Plus if its a Diablo related tuner fault or a vehicle fault, I want to know If it owner related
mikel

Post by mikel »

if this issue didnt happen until 5 miles after loading the tune, then it was not actually a tune related issue.
Tunes are flash based, and if theres an issue it will appear as soon as you start the truck, not 5 miles later.
If restoring the stock tune does not alleviate the issue, then its definitely an issue on the truck itself.

Thanks
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
dang

Post by dang »

As stated in our phone conversation, i advised you if the dealership determined the tuner did cause the issue, to call me and i gave you my direct extension. I told you i would see what i could do for you.
Daniel Gomberg
Tech Support
Phone: (561)-908-0040
Fax: (561) 431-0429
rcanzano

Post by rcanzano »

Truck is still at dealer, when the tech hooked up laptop (the hand held reader couldn't handle to number of codes), I think in so many words said "What the ___ is going on here?!" Communication faults, sensor faults, undervolt, overvolt,. Were chasing and electrical issue which could be as simple as a chafed wire or a pcm & bcm that got smoked somehow.

Mmmmm, just trying to think what device has access to a these multiple systems, i.e. engine control, transmission, etc.

Also, I did say the "service traction control" warning came on immediately after installing the 1st tune, before even driving it.

My problem is that there has been no consistency in the information in talking to the multiple customer service individuals at Diablo, the comments like "your on your own" and "don't tell the dealer there was a tuner on the truck". Don't sit well. I understand you as well as any other person can't fix what you can't diagnose. And when you advertise this device as a code reader & am told to go to Autozone to have the codes read, come on. How does that build customer confidence in your products or your image. I'm at the $700+ mark right now at the dealer. Could it be an ongoing issue with my truck, sure. Could it possibly be an issue the tune caused? With a comment like, "Some vehicle just don't liked to be tuned", absolutely.

I'm not try to blame Diablo, I just want my truck back the way it was before I hooked that thing up. Diablo has some (at some level) a responsibility in this, at what level, that is unsure.
mikel

Post by mikel »

The device doesn't talk to anything but PCM and TCM, cant cause issues with any other modules.
If the dealer is unable to communicate with pcm Id really like to get it here and fix it at no charge.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
rcanzano

Post by rcanzano »

Verdict: PCM-replace, accelerator asy-replace, throttle body replace
Cost: Ya don't want to know.

Dealer said somehow the PCM sent an "wrong signal/spike voltage"(those are my words) to several components.
The accelerator pedal & throttle body were the only components compromised, other sensors survived. But was also told they may or may not fail in the future (but then again they may or may not regardless). Both the tech & service mngr, have used tuners in their own vehicles too & have had success and failures. And they appreciated me telling them a tuner was used on my vehicle, it possibly saved me hundreds of dollars in diagnostic fees.

Lesson: Yea, aftermarket companies do as much as they can to test & develop their products, and some spend a lot of money to do that & I'm sure Diablo spent as much as they could. But nowhere near the millions upon millions that Ford, GM, etc. spend on R&D. And BE HONEST to your dealership if you take your vehicle in after your tuner (rather YOU) compromised your $50,000 truck (or car)!!

Conclusion: Although there is no solid proof the tuner caused the failure, it's hard to not relate it was highly probable.

And if Diablo would like to compensate me to any level it sure would go toward future consumer confidence in others who read these forums knowing Diablo will assist a customer who has an unfortunate experience with their product that their vehicle "Just didn't like to be tuned" (quote from a customer service rep at Diablo)
mikel

Post by mikel »

I am still confident we could have recovered the pcm, but theres nothing we could do to cause voltage spikes to kill other components. In over 10 years of doing this I have never seen or heard of such a failure.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
rcanzano

Post by rcanzano »

There is a saying, "There's always a first time".