Sharing my experience: 2016 3.5EB F150

Post here with any questions you have regarding theuse of the i2 on supported Ford applications.

Moderator: sohfast94

FormulaL98

Sharing my experience: 2016 3.5EB F150

Post by FormulaL98 »

Hi everyone,

Just though I would share my experience using my I2 yesterday. To be honest the most worrisome part was updating and going through the pre-tune stuff right out of the box. I had the somewhat typical I2 stuck on "please wait" screen after group update, I disconnected and reconnected the I2 3-4 times before it would update then reboot. Once I saw it reboot, plugged it into the truck and it copied my stock tune and loaded the 93 octane tune no problem. I haven't driven the truck but down the road and back since but it seems to rev out much quicker. An indication of more power, although it is somewhat deceiving in a full size truck. The truck had gone 99 mph in the 1/4 mile stock so it will be interesting to see what it does with the 93 tune.

I do have a few questions however:

1. The quick start guide mentions the I2 may request and additional update for iceboats vehicles, however mine did not. Should I have any concern?
2. Diablo states there are 5 tunes for the 2015-2016 3.5 EB, 87/91/93 a tow tune and MPG tune. My I2 only reflects the 87/91/93 tunes on the "easy tune" screen. Maybe Im just not looking in the right spot?
3. The gas pedal going away problem has been corrected right? I haven't found any new posts in the last few months about it. Just don't want to have to load the stock tune back on the side of the road somewhere.

Anyway, Im happy with the I2. I'll have to drive the truck about 100 miles today so I will have a better feel for the tune this evening. I had a Lew tune on my old GMC and loved it, my only hope is someone starts doing similar custom versions of the diablo tunes for iceboats vehicles. Lew's tailoring of diablo canned tune was key for my old 5.3.

Nick
mikel

Re: Sharing my experience: 2016 3.5EB F150

Post by mikel »

1. Not common to have to update a Ford.
2. Easy tune is a limited menu, go to advanced tune to see all tune options.
3. That issue was resolved on the 2015 trucks about 2 years ago :)

Thanks
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
FormulaL98

Post by FormulaL98 »

Ran the truck tonight at Edgewater in Cleves OH. 4x4 launch, traction control off, 13.63@98. Ive attached a photo of the time slip, of the truck and of the DA for the weather data geeks. This thing is a rocket. Drives stock around town, more throttle response on the highway, then flat out gets it when you want it too.

Nick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikel

Post by mikel »

thats pretty darn impressive :)
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
FormulaL98

Post by FormulaL98 »

Just to update this. I just recently loaded the Tow tune and honestly it feels just as good if not better than the 93 tune during normal driving (for me that means below 3k rpm). I had to tow a 6500 lb trailer this weekend to our new house and man, this thing had no trouble at all (at any speed). Getting onto a 65 mph freeway was no problem. If I had to speed up to pass it rarely even needed to shift out of 6th. I don't even think I used more than 3k rpm to get up to and a little over the speed limit before I had to merge. These Ecoboost trucks are just amazing with a little tuning.