i2 Tune Compatibility with 96 SVT Cobra

Post here with any questions you have regarding theuse of the i2 on supported Ford applications.

Moderator: sohfast94

FangsDemon1

i2 Tune Compatibility with 96 SVT Cobra

Post by FangsDemon1 »

I have a 1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra (4v engine) with 79K. I was wanting to play around with some tuning on the car. On the website it shows that the 96-10 4.6L V8 engine is supported, but doesn't specify which version of the engine is supported (2V, 3V, 4V). I have verified that my i2 will connect and apply a tune to my Cobra, but out of fear that the tune isn't for this version i removed it without ever starting the car.

Is the standard tuning provided able to tell which engine is in the car, or am I better off taking the car to a CMR location and having them mess with the car?

Thanks in Advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikel

Re: i2 Tune Compatibility with 96 SVT Cobra

Post by mikel »

Yes, the 96 4V Cobras are supported for tuning.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
mikel

Post by mikel »

I used to have too much fun racing my 99 Z28 against my buddies 96 Cobra. We killed 1000s of pounds of Nitrous through those 2 motors, lol.

His was Mystic, which was super cool. Especially the night we got pulled over coming home from the track.
Someone reported a Purple Mustang racing some other cars on I95. Cop sees us in the dark, and figures its purple, so he pulls us over.
He sees numbers from the track and immediately assumes he's got his car...

Then he tells us he got a report of a purple Mustang racing on the highway. We're like, no way, this car ain't Purple!
He steps back, turns on the flashlight, and in that light it goes dead Green, and hes like, oh, sorry guys!

After a few minutes we had to confess that it goes both ways, and at that point he was more enamored with the magic paint than the speeding and all was good :)

OP, that Cobra is begging for a set of 4.56 gears!
We put 4.30s in his Mystic and wish'd we had gone steeper....
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
FangsDemon1

Post by FangsDemon1 »

Thanks for the reply and information! And she still has the factory 3.27 in her, I want to upgrade to a T56 Magnum before I do anything crazy since she is my daily. Might mess around with the tuning after work.