I3 8245 Msg Vehicle ECU needs update? 17 Silverado 5.3 6Sp

Post here with any questions regarding the use of the i2 on supported Chevrolet, GMC, Cadillac, Buick, and Pontiac applications.

Moderator: sohfast94

bluto77

I3 8245 Msg Vehicle ECU needs update? 17 Silverado 5.3 6Sp

Post by bluto77 »

I received a new i3 In-tune model 8245 for my 17 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 6 Speed. Followed updating instructions for i3 and competed update prior to attempting to install tune on truck. When I try to upload the tune I get message that says, "One or more ecu's in this vehicle requires an update prior to tuning. please connect this i3 to ignition and download available updates."

Not sure how to connect i3 to ignition to update the truck's ECU. That doesn't sound right either. It's a brand new truck.

Edit: I do have an Intune I-1000 that I used on my 2009 Silverado. I returned the 09 to original factory settings, did an update on the I-1000, and tried to use it on the 2017 not realizing I would need a newer model tuner. When I plugged it into 2017 and tried to load a tune it created a backup file of the current settings, and then gave me the same message the i3 is giving me now: "One or more ecu's in this vehicle requires an update prior to tuning. please connect this i3 to ignition and download available updates." Again, this was prior to getting the i3.

Looking for advice. Thanks in advance.

Please link me to the proper thread if this has already been discussed.
Last edited by bluto77 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Morton88

Re: I3 Says vehicle ECU needs update? 2017 Silverado 5.3

Post by Morton88 »

Got the EXACT same problem here! hoping to see a fix here
Jason Sebasty
bluto77

Re: I3 8245 Msg Vehicle ECU needs update? 17 Silverado 5.3 6

Post by bluto77 »

Disregard my original post, but I'll leave it there so others can reference the initial message received the first time they plug the i3 into their OBD-II.

After reading through the forum (which I should've done before originally posting.....but I didn't and was that guy who registers and 1st post is a question that's been asked before), I figured out that, "Please connect this i3 to Ignition and download available updates...." is referring to an additional updating software called "Ignition" found under the Download tab on Diablosport website. You have to download it onto your computer.

The confusing part (to me at least) is it doesn't say anything about it in the manual, and if you follow the instructions in the manual, it tells you to update your tuner BEFORE you tune your vehicle, followed by instructions on how to update specifically for your computer's operating system, and even includes the drive and folder name "Updater" where you will find the inTune Updater utility.

***Spoiler Alert***

The first time you connect the i3 to your computer the Updater utility is not named "Ignition". However it will do about 5 minutes of updates. Then, after updating is completed, like a kid on Christmas morning you sprint to your truck to finally install your tune and disable the @#%*@#$ AFM because if you have to hear the sputter of the engine going from V8 to V4 accentuated by your exhaust one more time you might just open the door and hurl yourself into oncoming traffic. Plus, if you've been living life in a tuned truck for a long enough period of time, and then you have to go back to factory settings on your new one, you just can't get back to the performance tune fast enough!!!

You plug it in, the screen fires up, see the familiar look of the tuner options, and begin to salivate as you choose the tune and work your way through the modified parameters. The adrenaline really kicks in when you see how much faster the i3 moves compared to the I-1000 you had for your old truck. Make the final adjustments, click on "Yes" to install the tune barely able to contain yourself as visions of WOT dance through your head. Then get the message that the you need to connect the i3 to the ignition because your new vehicle requires an update before you can tune...SON OF A :? :roll:

Of course I had to wait until after hours on a Friday for this to occur, so Support Desk is closed until Monday morning. If I would've tried it a few hours earlier, probably would have had it resolved in about 10 minutes, as Diablosport support is typically Johnny-on-the-spot with help. Post about it on the forum and hope somebody can chime in and point you in the right direction. Check for responses hourly all day. Finally get a chance to spend some time perusing the forum and Diablosport's website looking for some answers and stumble upon this gem.

Now I get it! This is a quick and easy fix. I had to do an initial update via the Updater Utility upon initial connection to my computer, then go plug it into my truck so it could read it, download "Ignition" to my computer, connect i3 to the computer one more time and update with Ignition, and I'm a hop, skip, and a jump away from WOT enjoyment! No waiting until Monday to talk to support, I'm handling bid'ness right now! I reconnected to computer to update with Ignition, and keep getting this message:
Powerteq Cloud WAS UNABLE TO PROCESS YOUR DEVICE. Please try again in 15 minutes. :blowup:

I've tried everything. Been trying every 15 minutes over the last 2.5 hours. Uninstall Ignition software and re-install. Restart computer. Restart i3. Made sure device is registered with Diablosport. Guess I'm back to Monday timeline.
bluto77

Post by bluto77 »

I think I caught a break and was able to get the i3 updated using Ignition without having to involve CS at Diablosport. I called them earlier to get this taken care of, and while I was waiting on hold decided to plug the unit into the computer one more time and see if it worked, and it did. So that's good news.

If I have the correct understanding of where I'm at in the process, I should be able to load a tune to the truck this evening.

If there's anything else I should know about and/or do prior to tuning the vehicle, please advise.
bluto77

Re: I3 8245 - AFM Off chosen, but still drops to V4

Post by bluto77 »

I was able to successfully load an 87 Octane tune and change the parameters on several options. I chose to turn off the AFM. As far as I can tell, then tune and other parameters loaded, but the truck still drops from V8 to V4. I will post the files. This is the third tune I have loaded and the AFM delete not work. The first time, I did not reset back to factory settings and simply changed the tune and chose to turn off AFM when prompted. When it didn't work that time either, I set completely back to factory and then re-loaded the tune and options. Still not working though.

ECM_12678668_Backup.grg
ECM_12678668_LastTuneWritten.grg
TCM_24288803_Backup.grg
TCM_24288803_LastTuneWritten.grg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikel

Re: I3 8245 - AFM Off chosen, but still drops to V4

Post by mikel »

bluto77 wrote:I was able to successfully load an 87 Octane tune and change the parameters on several options. I chose to turn off the AFM. As far as I can tell, then tune and other parameters loaded, but the truck still drops from V8 to V4. I will post the files. This is the third tune I have loaded and the AFM delete not work. The first time, I did not reset back to factory settings and simply changed the tune and chose to turn off AFM when prompted. When it didn't work that time either, I set completely back to factory and then re-loaded the tune and options. Still not working though.

ECM_12678668_Backup.grg
ECM_12678668_LastTuneWritten.grg
TCM_24288803_Backup.grg
TCM_24288803_LastTuneWritten.grg
We'll have to look into that AFM parameter.
In the meantime, save this to the i2 drive, let the tool import it then load the custom tune to the pcm and AFM will be disabled.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
bluto77

Post by bluto77 »

Thanks Mike! Sorry for the delayed response. Your custom AFM tune worked and the AFM has been disabled. I'm using it in conjunction with the 87 Octane tune and other adjusted parameters.

Please let me know when an update to the I3 unit is available that will resolve the issue on the unit itself.

Thanks again for taking care of that so quickly for me.