LS4 Question

Post here with any questions regarding the use of the i2 on supported Chevrolet, GMC, Cadillac, Buick, and Pontiac applications.

Moderator: sohfast94

buicksuper08

LS4 Question

Post by buicksuper08 »

Hello, I have an 08 lacrosse super that I am wanting to disable the afm/dod.
When I plug in my i3 it will not allow me to adjust stock parameters, is the only way to disable my afm is to install either the 91 or 93 tunes?

If so, will the 91 tune be the more conservative option?
Does the 91 tune adjust the TCM settings?

It's my daily driver and I don't want to blow the transmission out before I can get a trans cooler installed. The car just turned 65,000 miles.
just a newb here who's never tune a fuel injected car before. A relic from years long passed when tuning was done with a few turns of a carb screw and few inches on the distributor and smelling the exhaust and listening to valves tap under heavy load.
mikel

Re: LS4 Question

Post by mikel »

TCM is a separate tune, 91 would be the least aggressive.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
buicksuper08

Post by buicksuper08 »

Thanks Mike!! I just got my i3 back from repair thanks for fixing the screen issue. The tuner feels more firm than before. Like something was loose on the inside. But now it's firm and touch screen works promptly no lag.
just a newb here who's never tune a fuel injected car before. A relic from years long passed when tuning was done with a few turns of a carb screw and few inches on the distributor and smelling the exhaust and listening to valves tap under heavy load.
buicksuper08

Post by buicksuper08 »

spoke too soon. So today I did the 91 tune and the only options if gave me was to modify, gear ratio, tire size, speed governor and shift firmness, it did not allow me to disable the displacement on demand. I drove for a couple hours with the 91 tune and the shifts were much smoother, but it was still dropping into 4 cylinder mode as I have the resonator off and I can hear it when it drops from 8 to 4 cylinders and I can feel it in the pedal as well.

When I went to re apply the stock ecu tune at first the device froze up. So i unplugged it and retried, the second time it was faster as installing the stock ecu tune and it did not freeze up.

I did not try any other tunes as I have read other posts where their screens have froze and I did not want that to happen to me.

Can you look into if I did something wrong or missed the afm/dod disable key or if I have to use the 93 tune or advance option tune? If I can't disable the afm can I trade this device in for the superchips flashpaq 2642 tuner? I really just want that afm shut off it drives me crazy :drivingbad:
06MonteSS

Post by 06MonteSS »

there is no separate disable AFM/DOD setting on those ls4's.. you have to select the tune called 91 Octane No DOD to install.. that has the DOD/AFM disabled in the tune already...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
buicksuper08

Post by buicksuper08 »

If I plug in my i3 to my OBD port and then connect my i3 to my laptop via usb that I downloaded your data logging app on will it Show if the tune has disabled my dod/afm? I swear I could still hear it drop into 4 clylinder mode with the 91 tune. But I could be wrong. Only the resonator has been removed it still retains the stock ls4 mufflers. THanks
06MonteSS

Post by 06MonteSS »

no.. the dataviewer shows nothing about tune settings or what tune is installed... that is only used for recording data logs.
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
buicksuper08

Post by buicksuper08 »

Okay, I reinstalled the 91 tune and I am going to drive it for awhile and see if I can still hear it drop into 4 cylinder mode. The lacrosse doesn't have the display like the monte ss, impala ss and GXP does that shows it when it drops down. It may be working it could be the small stock exhaust making it sound like a crackled bumble bee,
Is there anyway to tell for sure if the dod has been disabled?
I don't want to send this back if it's doing its job. I just can't tell and it sounds like it's still dropping into 4 banger mode. So I am thinking I will leave the tune installed run the tank to empty, refill and see if my mpgs went down any.
Thanks Lew
06MonteSS

Post by 06MonteSS »

couldn't tell ya.. I had a Monte Carlo SS LS4 for 8 years, 145,000 miles... there was no display to show me if it was in 4 cyl or 8 cyl mode.... so no idea...

if you selected/installed the 91 Octane No DOD tune, then yes, the afm/dod is disabled and turned off....

Those buick supers are the red-headed step-childs of the ls4 world... ls4's were only supported for a couple years, and, the buick's, were never "officially" supported.... programmers/tunes would work for some, or would not work at all for others....
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
buicksuper08

Post by buicksuper08 »

Lew, my apologies bugging you, but the data logger, when I went to view my files, there are three other files already saved from 2015, two from a ford f150, and one from a c6 vette, does this mean my i3 was used?
06MonteSS

Post by 06MonteSS »

No... those are just sample log files that get installed with the dataviewer software...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
buicksuper08

Post by buicksuper08 »

Thanks man!!! okay last question and I swear I will go away lol,
If I get the cold air inductions kit #SKU: 501-0520-B, would I need a custom tune?
Currently it just has a performance green panel drop in filter, and a ZZP o/r down pipe (meant for the GXP but it fits perfectly on the lacrosse) and I removed the resonator but it retains the Factory mufflers.
So I am just curious if I would upgrade to one of those CAI kit from your store if a custom tune would be needed to see any gains.
Thanks again,
mikel

Post by mikel »

I bet you'll see some gains from a custom tune just for the off road pipe currently.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
buicksuper08

Post by buicksuper08 »

Hey, I did not want to start another topic so I hope you don't mind me posting below your response. But today after having not touched my i3 for over a week I got it out to check for updates. After opening up ignition updater and plugging in my device it showed 10 updates, I selected install updates, and it failed then a message popped up on ignition agent to call tech. I did and spoke to Rich and it was a simple close the application and power cycle the i3 and try again. I did and it updated and I said thank you and we went on our way. However, no sooner than I got off the phone with tech support another update was available. It has done it at least 10-12 times now all in a row. Not sure why, or if this is normal, but before it would download a group of updates together,

One thing that was strange was that Rich had asked me if this was a brand new tuner because he did not see it having ever been connected to your servers.

So as I type there is another update available, it just keeps updating. I am afraid there is something wrong with it, so I am not going to keep updating it.
It has been installing updates since 3:54 eastern time it is now 5:02 eastern time.
06MonteSS

Post by 06MonteSS »

known issues about the multiple updates loop... it's an issue on diablo's end/servers... you can disregard...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune