Fried ECU- my truck is dead

Discuss Predator 2 for Chrysler vehicles

Moderator: sohfast94

Redaintdead

Fried ECU- my truck is dead

Post by Redaintdead »

Maybe somebody can help.
I have been using a Predator 2 on my 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 to be able to run on 87 octane.
Things have been great for the past year or so. This past Friday I attempted to go back to stock to run a couple of tank of mid grade through the engine. IT FRIED MY ECU! Programmer said it changed back to stock but that was for a total of 10 seconds, then it would no longer communicate with the truck. Spoke to tech support for about an hour only to be told to go and GOOGLE it.
Tried replacing the battery, doing any reset I could find on google(very, very few). NOTHING. My friend brought his OBD2 and zero communication.

After a tow and dealership diagnosis, 48 modules in the truck have thrown codes all related to one thing....the ECU. Looking at $1500+ to replace the ECU.

Has Diablo backed anybody in getting their vehicle fixed or is it just a hand washing event?

Thanks in advance for any conversation.
mikel

Re: Fried ECU- my truck is dead

Post by mikel »

Please dont let them replace the pcm.
Please give us a call back so we can send a label to pick up the pcm and fix it here for free.
Can you give me the number you called in from initially?
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
mikel

Post by mikel »

I see notes from when you called in that the pcm was communicating and the device could read the VIN....that cant be a dead PCM.
Did anything else happen after you called in that may have made it worse?
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
Redaintdead

Post by Redaintdead »

Hi Mike,

I forgot to put in that the programmer reached 100% then cycled to clearing DTCs. It finished with DTC and went into the not able to communicate. I knew something was wrong because all the lights that were still lite on the dash.

The programmer showed the last screen with the VIN but would not communicate. The Tune & DTC would only go to an Unable to communicate screen.
Also the factory car security lockout light came on, so I lost key fob communication from any further than a foot or two from the truck.
I could hear the relays click when I tried to start it but nothing else happened.
On the info screen, the tune and vin showed but the next line showed ET locked. I was having a hard time describing this to the tech support guy. And I can’t remeber what the fourth line stated. I tried multiple time to reset the truck. Every time I tried to get the programmer to communicate it would give me the error screen, then another screen and finally a call tech support screen before it reset itself.
I also had the programmer go into a mode that asked me if I was connecting to the last known vehicle.
I am trying to give you all the information I can do that we can maybe figure this out without too much more expense.
I am not blaming it directly but something glitched.

Right now the dealership is telling me that the ECU won’t talk to their computer or they could flash it.

I have not given the dealership any go ahead with repair considering I can get a new ECU for $200 less than their quote(I know people).
mikel

Post by mikel »

Again we will fix this for free if it is indeed the pcm.
Please give us a call so we can get it in here and check it out.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
Redaintdead

Post by Redaintdead »

Mike, just saw this. I will call tomorrow morning to get info to ship the programmer and ECU to you.
Mercillus

Post by Mercillus »

As a Diablosport owner and user, would like to know if this issue has been resolved and what caused it.
mikel

Post by mikel »

Mercillus wrote:As a Diablosport owner and user, would like to know if this issue has been resolved and what caused it.
Hard to say what happened.
Theres always a small chance that things wont go right, which is why its always recommended to flash in a safe place, with access to a PC and if needed a battery charger. Ensure good voltage prior to the flash, etc.

Thanks
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
Redaintdead

Post by Redaintdead »

Update: Took the truck and a new ECU to an actual Dodge dealership. They also couldn't talk to the old ECU, either.

New ECU installed and another $700 to replace the key recognition module that also fried.(That is $1300 total, plus two weeks of down time)

Had one key fob fail in this process, too. So, long story short. I have a new ECU, New key recognition module and one new key fob and a stock program. And my truck is back on the road.

I will be working with Diablo to send the programmer back for a diagnosis and reprogram or whatever. The whole reason I really bought it was to adjust my electric fan setting(this menu item disappeared with the first update). We will see what I do with it after that.

As far as the old ECU..I have a $150 core.

I am not saying I don't recommend a programmer, I just got one that didn't like my truck or vise versa.