e-fan question

All General Questions can be posted here

Moderators: mikel, 06MonteSS

billyrayjoebob

e-fan question

Post by billyrayjoebob »

I recently bought a 2002 Escalade and decided to do an electric fan conversion. I live in Phoenix and the A/C just didn't get cool enough unless it was moving down the road - a definite sign that more airflow was needed. I reached out to DiabloSport before taking this on to see if they could provide a custom tune before even ordering parts. Mike L quite quickly and graciously let me know that they could do this by email - no problem. So game on! I bought all the stuff to do the conversion plus an I2 tuner. The tuner showed up first so I threw on the 91 octane Easy tune. Nice change from stock! Now here are the things I can't seem to get answered from DiabloSport so I'm hoping someone here can help me.

1. At what temp should the PCM controlled fan come on? I let it get up to 108C (according to the tuner logging) or 226F before shutting it down. The fan never turned on!
2. What tune did they modify? I sent them both my base tune, plus the 91 octane tune but I have no idea which (if either) was sent back to me.
3. Will DiabloSport provide me with a base, 87 octane and 91 octane tune all with e-fans enabled so I can switch between them?
4. Can the fan turn-on temp be modified? I don't have the ability to do this with the tuner.

Thanks everyone. Great forum!
Mike
mikel

Re: e-fan question

Post by mikel »

billyrayjoebob wrote:I recently bought a 2002 Escalade and decided to do an electric fan conversion. I live in Phoenix and the A/C just didn't get cool enough unless it was moving down the road - a definite sign that more airflow was needed. I reached out to DiabloSport before taking this on to see if they could provide a custom tune before even ordering parts. Mike L quite quickly and graciously let me know that they could do this by email - no problem. So game on! I bought all the stuff to do the conversion plus an I2 tuner. The tuner showed up first so I threw on the 91 octane Easy tune. Nice change from stock! Now here are the things I can't seem to get answered from DiabloSport so I'm hoping someone here can help me.

1. At what temp should the PCM controlled fan come on? I let it get up to 108C (according to the tuner logging) or 226F before shutting it down. The fan never turned on!
2. What tune did they modify? I sent them both my base tune, plus the 91 octane tune but I have no idea which (if either) was sent back to me.
3. Will DiabloSport provide me with a base, 87 octane and 91 octane tune all with e-fans enabled so I can switch between them?
4. Can the fan turn-on temp be modified? I don't have the ability to do this with the tuner.

Thanks everyone. Great forum!
Mike
1. Post the backup and last tune written from the tool and I will show you what temps they are set to.
2. We modified the 91 tune you sent us.
3. Load the 87 tune, post the last tune written and I will make an 87 version of the same tune.
4. No, the tool doesnt think your pcm has fan control so it wont offer it tio you, but I can adjust them however you want.

We assume these kits are using Pin 42, do you know if thats what this kit used?

Thanks
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
billyrayjoebob

Post by billyrayjoebob »

Thanks for the reply, Mike. You have mail! :D
billyrayjoebob

Post by billyrayjoebob »

Ok, sorry for all the pics and wordiness but I'm a visual guy and I'm hoping this helps my cause.

Here is a pic of the connectors, both blue and red:

Here is a pic of the connector which clearly says "BLUE":

Another shot of the same connector showing all of the pins intact:

I pulled out the PCM since I was there and took a pic of the back. Not sure if any of this means anything, but figured it couldn't hurt:

And one more of the blue connector showing my wire going into pin 42:

I couldn't really show the pin seated in it's hole, but it looks exactly like the others. I tested for continuity all the way from the connector at the PCM to the connector on the relay to verify it was good.

Please forgive my artwork, but I traced all of the wires and came up with this wiring diagram so I could share how everything is hooked up:

I verified that when I turn on the A/C, Fan 2 runs on high. Fan 1 never comes on like it should regardless of the temp. Here is a test I did and my conclusion.
If I manually ground pin 85 on relay 3 (all the way to the right in my diagram), everything works as it should. This led me to believe the PCM never supplies a ground. I verified this by hooking a test light / buzzer to the wire coming from the PCM and connecting the other lead directly to battery positive. I ran the temp up as high as I dared as indicated by the next two pics:

To save time, 117C equals 242.6F!

All my tests lead me to conclude that blue pin 42 never supplies a ground. Any thoughts why this would be? I'm all ears!
mikel

Post by mikel »

so....its not working?
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
billyrayjoebob

Post by billyrayjoebob »

No, unfortunately it still isn't working. My friend had the idea that I should pull the connector off of the PCM, insert a small wire and ground it. This facilitates testing the circuit all the way through every relay, connection, soldered joint, etc. I did that and the fan came on.