DPF issues

Predator support for Ford diesel vehicles

Moderator: mikel

MAtSTER

DPF issues

Post by MAtSTER »

Part# U7164 v.9r.09

'08 F-450 6.4

I recently installed the "predator" in the performance economy tune. Prior to the "predator" I was getting 8.5 to 9 mpg. (ouch!), with the "predator" I gained less than 0.5 mpg at best (dbl ouch!). At the time the truck had a 5" FLO-PRO exhaust. The engine light came on, code was "particulate trap below efficiency" this was determined to be caused by the aftermarket exhuast, (it also damaged the filter). The truck now has factory exhaust and a new DPF. I have reinstalled the "predator" in the tow tune. I am fearfull that the light will come on again. Should I be worried? The truck is now completely stock other than the "predator". And, should I expect a better gain in mpg.?

MAtSTER
SCGt94

RE: DPF issues

Post by SCGt94 »

You can put the predator back on w/o fear butttttttttttttt install the crom i am emailing to you as we speak, you will be much happier.

post up your cal id's too please
Don
2002 WS6
pic350ford

Post by pic350ford »

MatSter I am running 2008 6.4 350 , i have been running 5" exhaust strait out with the predater. been running the extreme

tune on my truck. that code was pretty common in these trucks (until don fixed it). I would have to guess something

was going wrong with the dpf , before the predater. I have been running the predeter for 60,000 miles in my truck,

although not always running perfect, never had anything go run because of the predater. Try the latest tune from

Don in your truck, You will be Happy with the diference. my truck on the extreme tune is ave 16.4 on highway.

Thats quite a difference from you 9.5 ..... Give it a try
MAtSTER

Post by MAtSTER »

Hey Don,

cal id#'s unit 1: 8U7A-14C204-AG / unit 2: 7U7A-14C337-AB

Thanks for the update, my computer is having trouble downloading CROM files, trying to figure that out.
Also, my tuner didn't come w/ a usb cable. Can I use any cable that fits the bottom of the tuner? Once I get the updates from my e-mail, what steps do I take to install them onto the tool? And do I need to install the original back-up before I update the tool?

Thanks again,
Matt
MAtSTER

Post by MAtSTER »

It's me again

I've been reading some of the other posts, and I've also noticed a lag or hesitation when pulling out. It also does this in stock tune though. I hope the new tune cures this too. I still can't get the CROM file to download off the e-mail. What do I need to do to open it?
Thanks again, It's refreshing to see that there are still people who believe in customer service, keep up the good work! It is appreciated.

MAtSTER
SCGt94

Post by SCGt94 »

You will need a usb to serial cable and ds downloader to put the new crom onto the tool. The lag was heavily reduced in the tunes as that was one of the main issues everyone hated, its the way ford ramps in fuel to reduce soot. I did my best to help with lag without creating too much soot where you are going into regen every five minutes. Even in regen though, the truck response very well as i reduced the hit regen makes on the truck.

just right click the crom and hit save as, save it your desktop. Once you have your cable, downloader DSDOWNLOADER, which you will find out the product support page for your tool. Connect the tool to the pc with the cable and open DS. It will find the tool, then you will be able to select "send crom to tool" hit that, let it load and then you can go tune your truck. Before you try to udpate, make sure your truck has been flashed back to stock.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post here or email me
Don
2002 WS6
paulkeel

Post by paulkeel »

Not trying to add a dumb line here but it happened to me. If you don't have a 12volt power converter, you are going to need one. I thought the tool would power up w/ the usb cable but nope. Good luck! I just finally got everything to download & work. Also, very happy w/ the performance of the new files, don't know yet about mpgs.
MAtSTER

Post by MAtSTER »

Thanks for the input. I found out that i could power up the tool by simply plugging it into the trucks port. I also like the performance aspects of the new tune so far,(only had it in one day) anxious to see about the mpgs as well.
SCGt94

Post by SCGt94 »

ah thank you paul for chiming in there...i knew i would forget something haha
Don
2002 WS6
jmadigan40

Post by jmadigan40 »

Don,
New to the whole forum. I just bought a predator for my '08 f-350 diesel, i'm trying to follow the "crom" your talking about, is it a custom tune? I had a simular exsperiance to MAtSTER. Thanks for the help