DSDL DESPERATE but SIMPLE IMPROVEMENT!!

Questions and comments specific to the DiabloSport Downloader application.

Moderator: mikel

duster360

DSDL DESPERATE but SIMPLE IMPROVEMENT!!

Post by duster360 »

I regularly get customers having issues with loading a Custom tune incorrectly onto their Predator or Trinity

I'm sure this is common but here it is anyway: What happens is that after they select the custom tune, they're asked to select their Original backup but inadvertently select the Custom tune again

The resultant error message popup telling them the two tunes are the identical is ignored of course and here's the frustrating part for me, Knowing a critical error has occured, DSDL goes ahead and happily loads a 100% STOCK tune but disguises it as the Custom tune. WTF!!

Obviously when this occurs, chaos ensues. The customer's pissed because his car barley runs, I'm #1 on the his shit list because I "screwed up the tune" and best be"fixin it" asap.

Brass tax:
So why on earth does DSDL allow the user to load a tune to their tool after they get this error "Tune and Original backup are identical"? Under what scenario would that ever be ok? I can't think of one.

Is it possible to update DSDL NOT to allow a tune to load if the custom tune and selected Original backup are identical?
Needless Torque Calibrations
www.needlesstorque.com
mikel

Re: DSDL DESPERATE but SIMPLE IMPROVEMENT!!

Post by mikel »

it used to be it didnt even tell you, it just sent no diff :)

Adding the warning was a big step ;)

there was a reason for letting it do so, but of course, that reason escapes me at the moment...
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
duster360

Post by duster360 »

mikel wrote:it used to be it didnt even tell you, it just sent no diff :)

Adding the warning was a big step ;)

there was a reason for letting it do so, but of course, that reason escapes me at the moment...

Yes, I remember it being much worse. :roll:
Those software guys ever heard of a FMEA?

Running 1000cc injectors on a stock tune runs bad enough that at least lets you know something is screwed up,,,,but using 3bar MAP sensor on a Stock tune is a more subtle failure mode that will run but the WOT timing winds up 5-10 degrees higher and Knocks like crazy, potentially causing REAL damage.

I can't see a reason DSDL should let you F it up in such a potentially catastrophic way.
www.needlesstorque.com
duster360

Post by duster360 »

DSDL causing issues for two more customers this week. Cars wouldn't even start.

Thanks
www.needlesstorque.com
mikel

Post by mikel »

Dave, I have a thought here, that didnt cross my mind initially.

In DSDL, there is a feature in the advanced tune tab called save to disk, and you can take the custom tune you made for the customer, put it in that list with the backup from the customer, and click save to disk and send them that file and they can load it with out having to select a backup file in dsdl, its just a diff.

You can even load multiple files in that advanced tune tab, click save to disk, and send them one file that will show as multiple tunes when loaded to the tool, again with no need for them to select a backup.

lemme kn ow if that helps.

Tahnks
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
duster360

Post by duster360 »

mikel wrote:Dave, I have a thought here, that didn't cross my mind initially.

In DSDL, there is a feature in the advanced tune tab called save to disk, and you can take the custom tune you made for the customer, put it in that list with the backup from the customer, and click save to disk and send them that file and they can load it with out having to select a backup file in dsdl, its just a diff.

You can even load multiple files in that advanced tune tab, click save to disk, and send them one file that will show as multiple tunes when loaded to the tool, again with no need for them to select a backup.

lemme know if that helps.

Thanks
Seems complicated for a seemingly simple DSDL software update but ok I'll try it
www.needlesstorque.com
mikel

Post by mikel »

it is an extra step for you, but will alleviate issues on the user end.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
duster360

Post by duster360 »

This issue still occurs 1-2 a week and its terribly frustrating.

If possible, can I be billed to make a change to DSDL to prevent this common error from occurring? I waste so much time trying to diagnose it, that its worth it to me to just pay to have it fixed.
www.needlesstorque.com
duster360

Post by duster360 »

This is an ever increasing issue.

There have been a dozen DSDL updates since I first posted this but none include the seemingly simple change of NOT allowing the user to continue AFTER DSDL informs them that the tunes appear identical.
www.needlesstorque.com
mikel

Post by mikel »

duster360 wrote:This is an ever increasing issue.

There have been a dozen DSDL updates since I first posted this but none include the seemingly simple change of NOT allowing the user to continue AFTER DSDL informs them that the tunes appear identical.
Dave, unfortunately DSDL is going away to be replaced by the ignition updater software soon, hence no further development on dsdl.
Since ignition is a currently supported platform and will continue as our updater for all applications, we will look into adding this functionality.

Thanks
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
duster360

Post by duster360 »

mikel wrote:
duster360 wrote:This is an ever increasing issue.

Dave, unfortunately DSDL is going away to be replaced by the ignition updater software soon, hence no further development on dsdl.
Since ignition is a currently supported platform and will continue as our updater for all applications, we will look into adding this functionality.

Thanks

So Ignition will be able to be used to install tunes on old Predators?
www.needlesstorque.com
06MonteSS

Post by 06MonteSS »

predator's have been dead for 7+ years now.. all discontinued.. new new updates for them, etc.. so no, the new Ignition software will not work on an old discontinued Predator...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
mikel

Post by mikel »

No, an off line version of dsdl will stick around for that functionality.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
duster360

Post by duster360 »

Ok then what's the Trinity supposed to use to load Custom tunes?
www.needlesstorque.com
mikel

Post by mikel »

duster360 wrote:Ok then what's the Trinity supposed to use to load Custom tunes?
you'll be able to use ignition or whatever version of dsdl thats still there. In fact, we need dsdl to stay online for cal updates, so it will likely just stay how it is.
I have requested that a 0 diff generated in ignition lead to a message that nothing is going to happen and not let them proceed ;)
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com