Truck backfiring!

Post here with any questions you have regarding theuse of the i2 on supported Ford applications.

Moderator: sohfast94

zombieking

Truck backfiring!

Post by zombieking »

I just got the I2020 today for my 2011 ecoboost f150, everything went well with stock backup download and I installed the 91 octane tune and never changed a single other parameter other no speed limit. I used this tune first because I was running 91 octane fuel! Downloaded fine not issues but when drove it, man not good! There was a minimal power increase and shifted alright, but it was backfiring well more like popping like crazy when I would accelerate. Almost like you were bouncing off a rev limiter while accelerating, but it was shifting gears. I don't wanna destroy this engine (second one) so I thought it was the tune! Put in the 87 octane tune to be safe and that backfired too! Not good! I put it back to stock and it backfired for awhile then back to normal! WTF is happing? ??? :evil:
mikel

Re: Truck backfiring!

Post by mikel »

Have you upgraded the spark plugs as recommended for all 11-12 models?
Motorcraft SP534 gapped to .028-.030

Thanks
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
zombieking

Post by zombieking »

Hmmmm i didnt know you had to makes sense though! No I haven't I'll get them and give them a try! Thanx I'll let you know
mikel

Post by mikel »

that will do wonders for you :)
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
zombieking

Post by zombieking »

New plugs in and gapped to .28....... no more misfire! The tunes though are nice but all the tunes don't seem to put out the power your saying. I'm not talking dyno runs here but 93 octane tune is a modest power increase and not the 90 hp and 90 ft/lbs. Don't get me wrong the truck runs great and shifts nice but I don't see the power increase 90hp and 90 ft/lbs should give you, that's a big difference in power, and I don't see it. I chirp the tires in first like I could in stock and barley chirp in second. the 87 octane is a nice smooth tune, and I like it but still underpowered as well, the 91 octane tune doesn't like my truck for some reason and runs very weird at WOT and takes way to long to shift from 3-4 AND 4-5 and in-between that time it shakes and seems stressed. I know you can adjust the WOT shift points and I have lowered them a bit to my liking. And yes I used the proper fuel on all these tune changes and drove 100-200 miles on each fuel before uploading the tune to make the trucks fuel system was full of what ever fuel. I've owned numerous ford diesels (6.0 and 7.3) and had tuners on all of them as well as a neon srt4 with a tuner and upgrades and a tuned evo. So I understand what kind of power 90hp and 90 ft/lbs should feel like. I have a 4" exhaust and cold air intake on the truck right now, and I'm a little unimpressed with the tunes thus far. I not trying to be a dick at all, I'm just being honest here. I may need to go to custom tunes to see what they can do for me, if you guys cant think of why these tunes seem way underpowered according to your stats. Also why is the WiFi feature not working on my I2020? Thanx
mikel

Post by mikel »

your results dont match what most other users have reported, the power is indeed there...90 rwhp in a big truck is not like 90 rwhp in a Mustang for example, but its there.
Post the tunes fromthe tunes folder here so we canmake sure they are current and look correct.

Wifi is still undergoing some certifications...updates to come.

Thanks
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
zombieking

Post by zombieking »

I think this is what you need? These files were whnats in the tune folder!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zombieking

Post by zombieking »

So does everything look alright with my tunes then?
DiabloMatt

Post by DiabloMatt »

zombieking wrote:So does everything look alright with my tunes then?
let me look through this and ill let you know :)
DiabloMatt

Post by DiabloMatt »

can you do me a favor and start a log with your tool and go make a WOT hit? say 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. (dont crash/die/get arrested) and post it up here please :)
zombieking

Post by zombieking »

Will do thanx!
zombieking

Post by zombieking »

Heres two runs I did! Both runs are 1-2-3 shifts one might up to 4th!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zombieking

Post by zombieking »

Has anyone looked at these data logs yet? Does everything look normal? Truck is still underpowered with all the tunes! I drove my buddies 2012 ecoboost with SCT tuner and a Southern Speed 93 octane tune and man that truck is crazy fast. We raced, he had his 87 octane tune and I had your 93 octane tune (90HP) haha, and he walked all over me. Somethings not right, and his 93 octane tune on a dyno made less hp then the 90hp you say your getting with the canned 93 tune from Diablo. I guess Ill just have to sell this and get a SCT with custom tunes. Or is there as place that is selling custom Diablo tunes? thanx
DiabloMatt

Post by DiabloMatt »

zombieking wrote:Has anyone looked at these data logs yet? Does everything look normal? Truck is still underpowered with all the tunes! I drove my buddies 2012 ecoboost with SCT tuner and a Southern Speed 93 octane tune and man that truck is crazy fast. We raced, he had his 87 octane tune and I had your 93 octane tune (90HP) haha, and he walked all over me. Somethings not right, and his 93 octane tune on a dyno made less hp then the 90hp you say your getting with the canned 93 tune from Diablo. I guess Ill just have to sell this and get a SCT with custom tunes. Or is there as place that is selling custom Diablo tunes? thanx

hey buddy. brian still needs to look at these but have you updated the tool recently? we did a bunch of ecoboost updates not to long ago.

you can post up your info.xml and i can see if you are current or not
zombieking

Post by zombieking »

Yes I have updated everytime I change the tunes! Most recent was yesterday that I have checked to see if there was one. Couple things to add..... Even If I drive 100% normal my gas mileage has gone down too over stock by 2 MPG. Also at WOT my shift from 3-4 is mega rough and slams into gear very hard! Names Adam!