Can't save original tune

Post questions about your Trinity for your Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler vehicles here.

Moderator: mikel

bucky440

Can't save original tune

Post by bucky440 »

Installed new computer bought with Trinity, tried 4 times to read and save original tune. Can't be done, got message that indicated computer was already tuned? Now what? 2016 Grand Cherokee 5.7. :normal:
Stoopalini

Re: Can't save original tune

Post by Stoopalini »

I'm not sure what you are trying to do? In order for the Trinity to have a copy of the stock tune, you have to load one of the Diablo tunes into it. During that process, it will backup the original tune, and then write the Diablo tune to the new PCM.

Can you describe which step the process is hanging on? List out the steps that are working, and which one it stops, and what error it is giving.

Can you take a video maybe of the process, and post that? Or a pic of the error and post that?
2016 Dodge Durango R/T
Diablo PCM | Trinity Tuner | AFE CAI | Catch Can
bucky440

Post by bucky440 »

Fails at first step of process, reading existing tune gives -30 code. I installed the computer yesterday and drove my normal work day commute today before trying to load a tune. Might have been my imagination, but it felt quicker today just with the new computer. This is the third vehicle I have used Diablosport tuners on, first time with problems. :?:
Stoopalini

Post by Stoopalini »

Did you update the Trinity with the new CROM(s) 1st, by plugging it into your computer and running DSdownloader? Also, what vehicle did you select during the Trinity start up process?

I also recently received my new PCM and Trinity for my 2016 Dodge Durango R/T, and had a few things to work through before it started working properly.
2016 Dodge Durango R/T
bucky440

Post by bucky440 »

I'm past that point. Did all that, up dated it and from your posts realized we have to set it up as a 2015. Was beginning to load the 93 octane tune, it read existing tune twice and Trinity couldn't save it. I believe the problem is in the computer I received.:blowup:
Stoopalini

Post by Stoopalini »

Just to clarify, you have the ignition in the"Run" position, and not just the "On" position, right? So two presses of the push start button, without your foot on the brake pedal, to get it into "Run" with the engine not running.

How long is it taking to read the original tune, before trying to save and giving the error? I know the Durango has a "timeout" feature, where if the key is left in the "Run" position for too long, power is shut off. Opening and closing the door restarts the timeout counter.

Could it be possible that the vehicle is shutting power down by the time it tries to save the backup tune file?

If not, I'd say a call into Diablo support is in order.
2016 Dodge Durango R/T
bucky440

Post by bucky440 »

Everything was okay on the Jeep. New computer worked properly the first time it was powered up. Drove it for a day before trying to tune. Key switch on properly, did not time out, read it a total of four times, each took about 3-4 minutes... Trinity tells me it thinks the computer already has a tune. :roll:
bucky440

Post by bucky440 »

A comment from someone at Diablosport would be appreciated. :?:
Stoopalini

Post by Stoopalini »

I think you're going to need to call them man. There's only a few moderators for all the Diablo forums, so it can generally take a while for someone to respond.

One other thing that may help: Have you looked to see if it needs a "Calibration Update"? Plug your Trinity back into your computer, and open up DSdownloader. Do you see a "Calibration" tab at the bottom? If so, go through the calibration steps on that tab. It could be that your new PCM is at a revision where the Trinity isn't expecting, and therefore the Trinity needs to be calibrated for the PCM software version.

If you don't see the calibration tab, there is a way to force a recalibration through the Trinity; but it requires tech support to give you the password to make it happen. So you would need to call anyway.

So check the DSdownloader tool and see if you have the calibration tab. If not, call support.
2016 Dodge Durango R/T
mikel

Post by mikel »

Please give us a quick call with the tool powered up in the vehicle and we'll force it to load a factory file which should clear it all up.

Thanks
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
bucky440

Post by bucky440 »

Sooo...I called from the Jeep. Changed some ID in the Trinity as directed and then I had to go to my PC and rerun updater. Which I did when I returned home. I downloaded the file successfully and then I went out to the Jeep.
Connected and it went into update vehicle mode, taking two tries but was successful after the second.
Then tried to load the 93 octane tune which, of course failed just as originally, after two attempts to try to save current tune (whatever that may now be).
Another two hours wasted; dose anybody there known what they are doing? :evil:
mikel

Post by mikel »

so it saves the backup but fails to load the tune?
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
bucky440

Post by bucky440 »

I called again yesterday and we repeated the process of my last post with a different tech. It still fails. "PCM: error verifying backup (1)" and "Original backup not saved (-30)' and finally after second automatic try "Not tuning vehicle because of backup (4)"
At least I now have a case number 296914.
A lot of time wasted on this one, has anybody been successful with a 2016 Grand Cherokee 5.7? :normal:
mikel

Post by mikel »

please connect the tool to the truck and go to options/troubleshooting/show calid and let me know what is listed there.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
bucky440

Post by bucky440 »

PCM: 68252272AD