Tuner Keeps Failing SVT Focus

Predator support for Ford gas vehicles

Moderator: mikel

96Formula6spd

Tuner Keeps Failing SVT Focus

Post by 96Formula6spd »

Hey guys, I am trying to reflash a custom tune onto my SVT Focus using a Diablo Predator. I got this car a few months back and it came with the tuner. Anyways I was unable to write the custom tune file as it failed and I have forgot what the error message was. So I ended up flashing back to stock after a couple attempts and was able to load on the performance tune that comes with the Diablo tuner.

Fast forward and I got the old tune file back from the old owner of the car as the custom tune was deleted a few months back. Tune was made for this tuner with this car many years ago. I was able to load the custom tune to the tuner with zero issues. There was no stock tune in the file system when I tried to pull the stock file off even tho my car had the performance tune on it. Went to load the custom tune to the car and it failed. So it reverted back to stock or tired. Took a few times. Car is on a battery charger with everything turned off that does not need to be running. Finally got the car back to stock and tried just to reload the diablo performance tune. This also failed. Played the waiting game and after 5 attempts got the car back to the stock tune and all failed. Let the battery charge up even tho the light is green on my battery charger.

Come back out 30 mins later. Get the car back to stock first try. Go ahead and load up the custom tune again and it fails at 45% I have got to 85% before failure. I am about to chuck this tuner into the woods once I get the car back to stock and forget about it.

Tuner is a U7144 running version 7.90. Can no longer find the bios for this tuner on the Diablo sport website. Just sold one with my parts car that was 9.04

What am I doing wrong. Got plenty of power. Everything is off. Even have taken the radio fuse out to make sure the stock sub is not taking any power. I have even tried running the ac adapter as backup to the tuner. Nothing works. It looks like its a roll of the dice. Right now the car can not even run as the tuner can not even load the stock tune. Right now on the stock tune upload its failing anywhere from 9% all the way up to 97%. Makes no sense as nothing changes.
mikel

Re: Tuner Keeps Failing SVT Focus

Post by mikel »

these cars are a pain in the rear. Pull the ABS fuse and try again, that often fixes it.
My advice beyond that is to try to limit flashing this, and only flash if you absolutely must do so.

Thanks
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
96Formula6spd

Post by 96Formula6spd »

Well with the abs fuse pulled I was able to get the stock tune to finally load back on to the ecu. With that I tried the stock diablo tune and it failed. However it reloaded the stock tune again. I stopped there as I needed to head out and I just took my other car. However at this point the car is running on the stock tune.

Question is what to do next. I want to try to get the custom tune back onto the car or worst case the Diablo Predator tune. Even moving the car I forgot how bad the stock tune was. So with both of the performance tunes failing with an error message of "failed to loan tune". Granted right now I do not want to mess with this thing. Might give you a call when I get a chance.
mikel

Post by mikel »

theres one more fuse, not sure which is ABS, but pull both of these:

fuses 46 and 61

Thanks
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
96Formula6spd

Post by 96Formula6spd »

mikel wrote:theres one more fuse, not sure which is ABS, but pull both of these:

fuses 46 and 61

Thanks
Looks to be the instrument cluster one.

Second question. So since the car is on the stock tune. Should I just go and try to load the custom tune or should I load the performance tune first?
mikel

Post by mikel »

the tool has to be married before you load the custom tune to the predator, so either load the canned tune or just let it read the backup then load the custom tune to the device.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
96Formula6spd

Post by 96Formula6spd »

mikel wrote:the tool has to be married before you load the custom tune to the predator, so either load the canned tune or just let it read the backup then load the custom tune to the device.
Alright will do, Also any chance of getting the updated firmware. Was looking last night and would like to update from v7.91 to v9.04? Got a direct link or anything I get an email of this to?
mikel

Post by mikel »

that old tool wont go to the 9r04 version unfortunately.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
96Formula6spd

Post by 96Formula6spd »

mikel wrote:that old tool wont go to the 9r04 version unfortunately.
Oh well no biggie.

Good news however with both fuses remvoed the tuner flashed both the peformance tune as well as my custom tune with no issues. Now it can go back in the box as I do not plan on doing any more tune uploads.

Thanks for the help
mikel

Post by mikel »

good deal.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com