Do I need a special tune?

Post questions about your Trinity for your Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler vehicles here.

Moderator: mikel

ZEN357

Do I need a special tune?

Post by ZEN357 »

Hello, new to this generation of tuning. Back when I was building cars like my 91 Z/28 we used a Hypertech tuner to get it running. So fast forward, now I own a 2016 Dodge Challenger (5.7 Hemi/6-Speed/3.90 Rear End Gear Ratio) and want to do the below listed mods. This car is a toy (not a daily driver) and will never be raced or see a track but I just want to upgrade some parts and make it run better. My question is can the Trinity 2 & unlocked PCM make it run without a custom tune? I am not replacing the Camshaft of any internal parts. Thanks for your help.

1.) Edelbrock aluminum intake
2.) Edelbrock aluminum Cylinder Heads
3.) BBK Shorty headers
4.) Borla ATAK Cat Back Exhaust
5.) BBK 90mm Thorttle Body
6.) MSD Street Fighter Coils packs
7.) E3 Diamond Fire Spark Plugs
8.) 180 degree Thermostat
9.) Moshimoto Aluminum Radiator
May the bridges I burn light way!
mikel

Re: Do I need a special tune?

Post by mikel »

Hmm, where to start.
Few thoughts....no point in adding aftermarket heads if sticking with the stock camshaft. The stock heads tend to flow really well.
Personally I would do longtubes or no headers, I cant see the shortys being worth the time/effort to install.
I would do some homework on that throttle body, I see people report issues with them more often than anything else, and the throttle body is not a restriction on this application, hence there will be no power gains by replacing it, but it may force you to custom tune the car just to make it work right...(5.7 and 6.4 use the same TB, and my 6.4 makes 435 rwhp through the stock TB, so it works really well)
The stock coils will support more power than you'll likely ever make, Id just stick with them.
I am not a fan of fancy plugs, but thats up to you...just dont expect anything different with those plugs vs basic copper plugs :)
The tstat and radiator will certainly help and these engines do tend to like to run a bit cooler than stock.

Now, to answer your main question, most of this stuff would work with the canned tunes, but to get the most out of the intake swap you'd really want to consider a custom tune.

Thanks
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
ZEN357

Post by ZEN357 »

The reason for the Cylinder Head swap was because I read that the 5.7's eventually drop valve seats, unless this was resolved somehow by Mopar.

The problem is that Mopar won't admit they actually had this issue. So asking them if they fixed it all they do is say "What issue?"

I figured if I'm gonna do the head swap might as well do the shorty headers all in one shot and if I'm gonna do the headers might as well go all the way and do the exhaust too.

Throttle body is not a big deal. My main thing is I hate the plastic intake.

And last the Radiator and thermo for obvious reasons.
May the bridges I burn light way!
mikel

Post by mikel »

I have never heard of a 5.7 dropping a valve....not sure about that one. I know the GM LS7 has a known issue like that, never seen or heard that on the 5.7 HEMI.
I would think its cheaper/easier to just rebuild the stock heard to avoid that issue if needed.
Again, if you figure on doing the shorty headers just because the heads are off, its almost a waste to not take advantage of the opportunity and just install longtube headers which will provide a legit performance increase.

IMO, the edelbrock intake and a set of good longtubes/exhaust will really wake that thing up.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
Blue300SHemi

Post by Blue300SHemi »

Mike, which longtubes do you suggest?