$1300 for a new ECU after a failed program.

General Tech Support Questions

Moderators: mikel, 06MonteSS

rblbz

$1300 for a new ECU after a failed program.

Post by rblbz »

My u7186 predator failed to program a tune the other day and would not recover and the truck was dead. I towed it to the dealer and asked them to reprogram but they could not, and said that I required a new ecu. So I got a $1367 bill to get my truck going. ouch!

I thought these predators were safe enough that they would not actually screw up the ecu?
I'd like to maybe send in my predator and ecu for you guys to take a look and maybe you can figure something out that can improve your product so it does not happen to the next guy.
Do I really need to spend more money on an rma in order to just send this stuff to you?

Radek
06MonteSS

Re: $1300 for a new ECU after a failed program.

Post by 06MonteSS »

all predator's are dead and gone.. they were all discontinued over a year ago.. so there would be no update for 'em anyway...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
Mike_Levy

Post by Mike_Levy »

Did you call in before going to the dealer? They probably could have gotten it working without replacement. ECUs rarely need replacement these days. Price seems ridiculously high too. 3 hours to replace a PCM on a GM truck? No way in hell. Plus they charged you OVER MSRP for the ECU. That part number retails for $673.92. Can get it wholesale for $343.70 (plus $125 core charge).

That dealer is a crook. Definitely one to avoid in the future.

Thats like the $10k bill I just got for my X5Ms service. Thankfully BMW paid the bill, but like the dealer you dealt with, it was way more than it should have been.
2021 BMW M550i xDrive
BMC Drop ins, JB4

2010 Nissan Murano beater
K&N Drop-in
mikel

Post by mikel »

Yeah, I am sure we could have fixed the PCM, dealers love to replace stuff and overcharge for it, i hate to hear this happened, but if anyone ever has an issue in the future, please let us know first!
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
rblbz

Post by rblbz »

Yeah I did call but it's my work truck so I can't have it be idle while I ship something away for a week to see if it could get fixed.
Not sure if the dealer is screwing me or the techs just dont know how to fix it.

So now I have this spare/non working ecu and I would like to have it recovered. I went to another dealer to see if they could do it, but they require for the ecu to be in the tuck to program/test it.

Can I buy some product that will allow me to recover and program something on this ecu?

Additionally the predator is now stuck in some recovery mode, and I can't connected to my new ecu.
How can I reset my predator so I can use it with my new ecu?

I really enjoyed my Diablosport stuff up to now, and maybe this was just a one off glitch so I would still like to have something that I can program my truck with.

thanks for the help
Mike_Levy

Post by Mike_Levy »

Gotta call in anyway to have the unit reset. We've already seen the proof that the ECU was replaced, so resetting it should be a non-issue.
2021 BMW M550i xDrive
BMC Drop ins, JB4

2010 Nissan Murano beater
K&N Drop-in