Board index General Technical Support General Support Trouble shooting a new ride, found a chip inside!

Trouble shooting a new ride, found a chip inside!

General Tech Support Questions

Moderators: mikel, 06MonteSS

Hello,
I recently purchased a vehicle with a motor swap. It has a Ford 302 "Cobra" motor. It runs alright, but tends to stall at idle. Acceleration is not as smooth as I would like, it will hesitate but makes decent power if / when it cleans out. The motor looks to be an early '90s unit. I opened up the PCM and found this

I'm not sure if these numbers on the connector reference anything.

This vehicle is an off road racer, so it has had a lot of dirt slung in through the port where the chip protrudes.

Anyway, what I've gathered so far is that this hardware really isn't supported anymore? I have a fair amount of experience with chipping and tuning OBD1 Honda ECMs with freeware such as Uberdata. I have EPROM based tuning tools, like a burner and Ostrich. I guess there is no way for me to read or modify what's burnt to this chip?

Really just looking for any advice I could use to get this thing running smoother. I'm doing all the general tune up stuff, resetting base timing, etc. Right now I'm thinking the best I can do is put my wide band on it and see where I stand with regard to air fuel ratio. Maybe get it closer by adjusting fuel pressure.

Also, any advice on how I can clean out this PCM without damaging it would be helpful. I'm wondering if the MAF cleaner spray I bought would be safe to use on it?

Thanks,

we have tons of cmr tuners that can still flash those chips, we still sell them today :)

cleaning that...Im not sure, Id say some crc electrical cleaner, and be careful.
Mike Litsch
Powerteq Customer Service Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040x4
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

mikel wrote:
we have tons of cmr tuners that can still flash those chips, we still sell them today :)

cleaning that...Im not sure, Id say some crc electrical cleaner, and be careful.

That's good news! The dealer locator doesn't seem to work for me (or my phone), can you recommend someone near Springfield MO? Or I guess I could mail order through anyone, thinking a "stock Cobra tune" might be better than whatever it has now.

http://www.diablosport.com/dealers/loca ... er_ford=on

Injected Racing
4363 W. Calhoun
Springfield, Mo 65802
417-873-9900
Mike Litsch
Powerteq Customer Service Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040x4
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

Return to General Support