Will not complete firmware update *SOLVED*

Predator support for GM gas vehicles

Moderators: mikel, 06MonteSS

Reserector

Re: Will not complete firmware update *Getting discouraged*

Post by Reserector »

We've tried 9r18, 9r17.
We've tried every combination of options in the DSdownloader.
The serial to USB cable drivers are from the disc that came with it. We have also downloaded the drivers from your site.
Using the DSdownloader from your site.
Tried on two different computers. One on Win7 and the other (I believe) is Win10

In all cases, it loads packets until it gets somewhere between halfway and 98%, and then throws up a dialog box that says "Download Failed Transmission Failed".

I bought this u9178x used. The seller described it as "Guarranteed unlocked/unmarried", although I never even got to check it. When I turned it on initially, it had all the menus, and appeared ready to go.
There was a sheet of paper in the box telling how to go to your site and get updates. Seemed like a good idea to update to the latest firmware before starting to use it. Just trying to do it right, you know?

Surely you have run into this before? There must be some way to fix this.
mikel

Post by mikel »

No, this is by no means common, tough to say if it is the tool or cable, or pc, etc...
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
Reserector

Post by Reserector »

It acts the same on two different PCs, so I would put that at the bottom of the list.

Would you suspect the cable or the tool?
I could buy another cable, and try that. I hate to throw good money after bad, but I need to get this nightmare behind me.

I'l try a different cord, but if that doesn't work, what are my options? Send it for repair?
mikel

Post by mikel »

does it fail in the same place every time?
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
Reserector

Post by Reserector »

Yes. It fails in the same place on two different computers. However, the two different crom files we tried fail in slightly different places. The "17" file gets a little further than the "18 file.
By changing some of the options, I have been able to get it to fail at other points, but if I keep the options the same, it seems to be very consistent.
Reserector

Post by Reserector »

I went ahead and ordered another cable. For $3 I figured I would get one coming.
eBay cheapie: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301675657589?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

It will likely be next week before I get it, though.
mikel

Post by mikel »

OK, keep us posted.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
Reserector

Post by Reserector »

I decided to try a newer serial/USB cable driver. It didn't fix the problem, but on the second attempt, the progress bar went to the end, and it gave me a dialog box that said to wait for the tool to restart. However, the tool had already cycled and it went back to the message "App is corrupt or missing". AAAAGGGHH! I was SO CLOSE. :cry:
I tried several more times after that, but never got that far again. It's like it is possessed. It wants me to go to bed late and be sleepy at work all day.

Anyway, maybe that is a clue?

Still waiting for the new cable that I ordered......
Reserector

Post by Reserector »

Are there any older crom files (online) that I could try while I am waiting on my new cord to arrive?
mikel

Post by mikel »

Reserector wrote:Are there any older crom files (online) that I could try while I am waiting on my new cord to arrive?
try this one:
Attachments
u7198-9r11.crom
(846.16 KiB) Downloaded 694 times
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
Reserector

Post by Reserector »

Tried that, and the tool gave a message "Cannot downgrade 9r17 to 9r11".

Is there some way to brainwash this thing and start fresh?
Reserector

Re: Will not complete firmware update *Totally discouraged*

Post by Reserector »

I got the new cord that I ordered, installed the included drivers, (which were the same as what was already installed), and tried again. No dice.
I've tried powering it with my truck, thinking that maybe the power supply was the problem. Still no joy.
I've tried repeatedly in the hopes that the next time might put an end to this misery.

I give up. I am out of ideas. I surrender.

Can I send this to Diablo for repair?
Reserector

Post by Reserector »

Maybe there IS one more thing I can try. I've done a lot of searching on the internet and came across this: http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f384/pr ... lz-614207/

This correlates to something I discovered on my own; when the progress bar window appears, you can click on the edge and drag it to the side, revealing ANOTHER progress bar window. I've tried deleting the one that was not showing a bar, and it progressed and failed as it always does.
This post says to close the one that is progressing, and then start the process over.

It might be hocus pocus, but I'll try anything at this point.
mikel

Post by mikel »

Id fill out the return form and send it in if you cant get anywhere on your end,
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
Reserector

Post by Reserector »

Well, I've gotten nowhere on my end. It looks like I have two choices: try about ninety nine more times, or send an RGA request form and (at least) ninety nine more dollars. I'm not content with either. I am in a no-win situation, and I sincerely regret buying this tuner. I don't even want to look at it anymore.

I bought this tuner was from a reliable seller. It was unmarried and working. As with many devices, it is common, and even encouraged to check for updates online, so that is what I did, and that is why I did it.
I followed Diablosport instructions, and used Diablosport files, but the process failed. I did nothing wrong. It should have worked. It seems to be a problem with the software or the tool, neither of which I made.

Yes, you guys have been helpful. You provided crom files that you thought might work, yet the problem persists.
I understand that this is an older, outdated tool. But it is still a viable tool that I badly need to finish my project. My truck needs a tuner because it is not a stock truck. This is not a vanity "Gotta have mo POWAH" power trip. My speedo is 17% off, and I'm only getting 13.5 mpg.

But now I am in a bad situation with a bad taste in my mouth. Do I pay more money (if Diablosport will even accept the job), or do I throw away the tool and the $215 I spent to get it? I don't know about you, but that is REAL money to me.

Diablosport is not in a situation to lose. If I send it in, y'all will get paid well for the little bit that needs to be done. If I throw it away, you lose nothing. Not even a potential repeat customer, because I cannot afford a new one. I'm not saying they are overpriced, just that they are out of my budget.

I am just reaching out one last time for some help. Any suggestions or advice would be well-received.
If you sensed any "attitude" from me in previous posts, that was purely out of my own frustration over something that should have been simple, and was not. For that , I sincerely apologize.

Mark