Going back to Stock

Predator support for Ford diesel vehicles

Moderator: mikel

dingaling02

Going back to Stock

Post by dingaling02 »

I just purchased a 2005 Ford F250 Lariat Quad Cab, Long Bed with a 6.0 diesel in it. I have had one previously and did nothing, as it was just fine stock, but the one that I just bought had a DiabloSport Predator in the glove box. I assume it has "some type" of tune on it. I'd prefer to run it bone stock as my driving habits do not warrant any tune at all. I am not at all familiar with tuning, is this something that a lamen as myself should tackle, or should I look up a local resource to do it?
I am willing to do the research on it, and am very savvy and technical, just don't want to risk messing anything up. I assume I can back up the current setting, but Im not one hundred percent certain.

Any advice from you guys. Some thing i wouldn't be against is a tune for fuel economy, but don't want to choke it up, everything is bone stock on the truck. Haven't dug in to see if there are any deletes, but exhaust, intake, and most other components seem to be stock.

thanks again,

Corey P
mikel

Re: Going back to Stock

Post by mikel »

any tune loaded to the truck will add 2-3 MPG, putting it back to stock assuming it is tuned will result in a loss of MPG.

To see if it is married tot he truck, go to options/show last tune written, what does it say there?
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
dingaling02

Post by dingaling02 »

Ok, I have version v.9r14. It says last written tune was performance tune.
Any advice.

Thanks,
Corey P
mikel

Post by mikel »

thats a 65 HP tune for light towing up to 8K pounds and general performance/economy.

Unless its not running well, Id leave it :)
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
dingaling02

Post by dingaling02 »

I guess I didn't really explain why I wanted to return it to stock. When I purchased the truck, I also purchased a warranty through a third party company and they will not honor any motor components if it has a tuner installed, or programmed.
How hard is it to revert to stock and then possibly put it back to performance if I see it fit. It does run very well, just don't want to risk voiding my warranty that I just purchased 3 years early. Hope this makes a bit more sense.

thanks,
Corey P
mikel

Post by mikel »

well, I will first tell you there is no way for them to know it was tuned, 2nd, it sounds like they sold it to you with the tune loaded, so, what if you never found that box....?

If you want to remove it, go to performance and select original backup, it will walk you through the restore process.

Thanks
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
dingaling02

Post by dingaling02 »

[quote="mikel"]well, I will first tell you there is no way for them to know it was tuned, 2nd, it sounds like they sold it to you with the tune loaded, so, what if you never found that box....?

I agree with what you said above, but the dealer sold it to me with the tune on it, and the warranty is a third party one. I just know how they work and would hate for them to deny a claim for any reason, let alone because it is tuned.

When you say they have no way of noticing. There is not a way through their diagnostic tools that they can tell something has been done, im not questioning you at all, but I would have assumed it would have been very evident to keep dealers/warranty companies for paying for something that we've done intentionally. Also, does the tune loaded currently have the ability to change shift points at all, for a more "sporty" feel?

Thank you VERY MUCH, I greatly appreciate your willingness to help. The product looks great and works wonderfully. I think I will hang on to it if for no other reason I can do diags and reset codes!! Very cool!!

Corey P
mikel

Post by mikel »

No, lots of dealers seem to think they can see a tune, but they'll never find one of ours :)
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
dingaling02

Post by dingaling02 »

mikel wrote:No, lots of dealers seem to think they can see a tune, but they'll never find one of ours :)
Nice.

Does the tune affect the transmission at all, as in the way it shifts, or shift points maybe. I assumed it did, but wasn't sure.

thank you again,

corey p
mikel

Post by mikel »

those older predator models do not have any direct trans control, but they will change the way it shifts a bit through the torque management changes in the pcm.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com