U7170. Is there a battery in the tuner?

Predator support for Ford diesel vehicles

Moderator: mikel

safooma

U7170. Is there a battery in the tuner?

Post by safooma »

I have a U7170 for my 99.5 7.3 that I picked up used(together). I am running the 100hp tune and it is amazing, btw--makes it a totally different truck. My question is, I know that the 7170 is getting old and was wondering if there is a battery in the unit that stores the tune. My concern is that it has the only backup I have of the trucks original tune and if the battery in the unit were to expire, I won't be able to get the stock tune back. Is there any validity to this? If so, can the battery be replaced?

Thanks!
06MonteSS

Re: U7170. Is there a battery in the tuner?

Post by 06MonteSS »

no, there are no batteries in the tools.. they get their power from the vehicle or PC when you're connected to it...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
safooma

Re: U7170. Is there a battery in the tuner?

Post by safooma »

06MonteSS wrote:no, there are no batteries in the tools.. they get their power from the vehicle or PC when you're connected to it...
Thanks for the info, I feel a bit better about it now. I'm gonna get the serial to usb cable and back up my stock tune just in case though. ;-)

The only other thing I have noticed about the tuner that concerns me is that 80hp tune sounds like something is going to let go in the motor--like violent banging. All of the other tunes run fine, just the 80hp tune acts this way.

I've also noticed that the 100hp tune will make the clutch slip pretty good--apparently the stock ford clutch can't handle the extra power.

Thanks again!