08 Duramax noisy

Predator support for GM diesel vehicles

Moderator: mikel

csterl01

08 Duramax noisy

Post by csterl01 »

Hello, I am new to the forum and also to the GM Duramax diesel. I just bought an 08 GMC Sierra 2500 HD crew cab SLT Z71 with 208K for pulling my camper. I bought a Predator U7186 tuner for a mileage improvement as well as improved towing power when pulling my camper. Per recommendations in this forum, I installed the 80 HP tune and kept my foot out of it (hard) and saw a mileage improvement. I did notice that the engine was much noisier (like spark knock on a gas engine) on acceleration at low RPM's. Last week I Installed the tow program and saw a 1.5 MPG improvement and way better power pulling my camper on a 500 mile trip. Same noise at low RPM's. Is this normal and is it damaging the engine? Like I said, this is my first diesel, and noises like this would destroy a gas engine over time. I just reinstalled the stock program and all is quiet again, but the power sucks. Is there a slight mod I can do to the programs to reduce noise?
mikel

Re: 08 Duramax noisy

Post by mikel »

Im not sure exactly what you are hearing but its not uncommon for a tuned diesel to be a little noisier, as the increased rail pressure will make the injectors a little ticky often.

Its really hard to hurt one of these motors :)

We have an 06 LLY here and it makes a little more noise with the tunes, more with the extreme tune.

Thanks
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
csterl01

Post by csterl01 »

Without the tune my dmax sounds almost like a sewing machine on light acceleration. With both the 85 hp and tow tune, it sounds like severe spark knock on a non-computer 350 with bad gas or too much advance. Are these engines that durable?
mikel

Post by mikel »

csterl01 wrote:Without the tune my dmax sounds almost like a sewing machine on light acceleration. With both the 85 hp and tow tune, it sounds like severe spark knock on a non-computer 350 with bad gas or too much advance. Are these engines that durable?
those tunes have been out for 5 or 6 years now, never had an issue ;)
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com