Recalls and diablo PCMs

Post here with any questions specific to the use of the i2 on Chrysler vehicles.

Moderator: sohfast94

Mrdazana

Recalls and diablo PCMs

Post by Mrdazana »

I purchased a diablo PCM for my truck (2016 ram 1500) and keep the original when I go to the dealer. I recieved this update on the stock PCM for the cruise control the other day. If I put back the Diablo PCM am i safe ? Do we get updates for our diablo PCM's to fix this issue ?
Mrdazana

Re: Recalls and diablo PCMs

Post by Mrdazana »

Bump.....
mikel

Post by mikel »

the fix for cruise is in a different module, the pcm swap should not have any effect.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
Nightshade

Post by Nightshade »

mikel wrote:the fix for cruise is in a different module, the pcm swap should not have any effect.
Are you sure? What happens if someone goes in for the recall and they flash the unlocked PCM with new code?

According to the U61 recall:

The fault handling strategy of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) software on your vehicle [1] does not remove positive torque requests from the engine controller if the CAN-C bus stops communicating while the cruise control is requesting positive torque. In the instance of a short in the vehicle causing the CAN-C bus to stop communicating while the cruise control is active and the vehicle speed is below the set speed such that the cruise control system is requesting positive torque at the exact moment of the short, it is possible for a positive torque request to be locked on the PCM which may result in either the vehicle maintaining its current speed or possibly accelerating. If the driver does not shift to neutral or apply the brakes to stop the vehicle this condition can cause a vehicle crash without warning.

Remedy

Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the software, and perform a software flash on the engine or powertrain control module, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin July 6, 2018. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Note: Owners are advised to stop using cruise control until the software update has been performed. In the event that cruise control cannot be disengaged while driving, owners should firmly and steadily apply the brakes and shift the transmission to neutral, placing the vehicle in park once it has stopped.

edit: it's definitely going to update the PCM.. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/R ... 2-2370.pdf
mikel

Post by mikel »

Im not saying the pcm wont be updated, but that the pcm doesnt tend to control cruise control, so the fix is likely in a different module.

There is no way for us to support the new pcm cal, so the only option to retune after they perform the update s to let the tool put you back on the previously supported pcm cal.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
Wan2fly

Post by Wan2fly »

I too had a recall to flash the stock pcm for a number of issues.

How will this be incorporated to a update to the Diablo pcm?

They obviously are required for many safety reason.

Yes the recalls are for the pcm as a whole. So this then leads me to the required updates needed on me pcm shipped as a diablo package

Await your reply for a fix
mikel

Post by mikel »

Wan2fly wrote:I too had a recall to flash the stock pcm for a number of issues.

How will this be incorporated to a update to the Diablo pcm?

They obviously are required for many safety reason.

Yes the recalls are for the pcm as a whole. So this then leads me to the required updates needed on me pcm shipped as a diablo package

Await your reply for a fix
There is no means at this time of supporting the most current files they applied to your PCM.
That means the only way to tune the vehicle is to allow the device to load a calibration to put it back on a supported cal.

Personally, without having reviewed the actual files, I (and others I work with here) are pretty sure the cruise fix that everyone is worried about is in the BCM, so the new PCM cal seems to be more of a way to make sure everyone is on a new, encrypted calibration. Double edged sword that they are taking full advantage of.

FWIW, we have a literal fleet of affected vehicles, and no plans to apply these "fixes"....
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
mikel

Post by mikel »

Quick shot I took earlier in the bay.

From front to back....
18 Challenger R/T
17 Charger Scat Pack
16 Wrangler
06 300C

And hiding behind the 300...is the shy 16 Chally Hellcat.

We also have a 14 Ram 1500, 18 Wrangler JL, and theres an 18 Charger Scat Pack roaming around somewhere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
Wan2fly

Post by Wan2fly »

Thanks for the reply mike. Nice shot as well

I posting the mandatory updates done to the modules

Auto park functionality recall

18-u0-51-50, PCM18-U0-51-51, TCM 18-U0-51-52, RFH 18-u0-51-53 IPC

reprogram powertrain control module

18-U6-10-81

Look forward to your feed back and thoughts
mikel

Post by mikel »

near as we can tell the pcm update is just a way for them to load an encrypted file to your pcm to keep you from being able to tune it.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
Booms

Post by Booms »

I got the Cruise recall done on My 2015 Express, and the tech told me it had absolutely nothing to do with My PCM/tune.

On another note, thank goodness for my service writer and technician. They don't care about my tune...or any other mod on my truck. 8)
pitbull2424

Post by pitbull2424 »

So in a recall situation are we advised not to return to stock on new pcm and let dealer do there thing?

Per Mike's response "load an encrypted file to your pcm to keep you from being able to tune it", we will not be able to install last tune again?

Thanks.
mikel

Post by mikel »

pitbull2424 wrote:So in a recall situation are we advised not to return to stock on new pcm and let dealer do there thing?

Per Mike's response "load an encrypted file to your pcm to keep you from being able to tune it", we will not be able to install last tune again?

Thanks.
if you are using your only pcm, return the vehicle to stock and let them do their thing.
If you still have the stock pcm, simply install it, let the dealer do their thing, then reinstall mod pcm when you are done.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
Nightshade

Post by Nightshade »

mikel wrote:Im not saying the pcm wont be updated, but that the pcm doesn't tend to control cruise control, so the fix is likely in a different module.

There is no way for us to support the new pcm cal, so the only option to retune after they perform the update s to let the tool put you back on the previously supported pcm cal.
What I was told is: "Cruise one is a pcm flash. because if the cruise switch is pressed at the time of a CAN bus failure it could cause it to keep accelerating, and not see a brake sense"

I haven't taken mine in for the update yet. I will just return to stock, take it in,, hope I can still tune once it's done. Is there a risk that the dealership updating the PCM code will remove the tunability of the Diablosport unlocked PCM? IE will we have to have them unlocked again? or is the 'unlock' part more or less a permanent thing?
mikel

Post by mikel »

No, they just update it, the pcm is still unlocked.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com