Could it be a bad I3 out of the box? please help

Post here with any questions regarding the use of the i2 on supported Chevrolet, GMC, Cadillac, Buick, and Pontiac applications.

Moderator: sohfast94

steveo3318

Re: Could it be a bad I3 out of the box? please help

Post by steveo3318 »

On another very odd side note I decided that since the i3 would not accept my tire size and save it, but it would accept my gear ratio that I would go as completely low as possible to see if it would help with the 0.0 tire size it’s stuck on. In my opinion this leans me towards that it’s in fact an issue with the i3 and not the stock tune because the lower I got the closer it came to being correct, until I was all the way down to 2.25 gear ratio!! The speedo is now dead nuts but I don’t consider this acceptable as there’s no telling what other parameters it could be throwing for a tuning loop lol. Please let me know what you would like to do next in making this correction and thank you for all the help so far.

I am getting a lews custom tune and I don’t want the irrelevant gear and tire ratio to effect me in his end result!
steveo3318

Post by steveo3318 »

One more rid bit of info. While laying in bed I figured I would do the math to figure out what tire size was being written to the tune considering I know shown speed, rpms, and gear ratio. Per calculations at shown speed of 30, rpm 2200, and gears of 4.56 it comes out to a wheel size of 15. Now if you do that same math with a gear set of 2.0. Rpm 2200, and speed of 70 mph you come out with a wheel size of 15 again.

I believe the default or fallback wheel size number in the controller is actually 15. It might be worth checking into that the code writer is in fact using this parameter as TIRE size and not wheel! Because the actual parameter says WHEEL size. I’m only saying this because I am almost sure much of the initial code writing is outsourced just like a ton of our pre canned stuff at Johnson controls.

Not trying to aggravate anyone just trying to help.
steveo3318

Post by steveo3318 »

The pcm will be in your possession Friday for you to reflash. I also sent the i3 as requested with no cables. Please be aware that it does have the diablo tune with gears currently still set to 2.0!!! Also please verify you can get a custom tune to install on the i3 and the custom tunes icon not to be grayed our when your hooked to pcm and trying to load it. I’m getting a custom tune from lew and would hate to go through all this and the i3 not accept the custom tune like it’s doing now.

Thank y’all for all your help.
mikel

Post by mikel »

will do.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
steveo3318

Post by steveo3318 »

Hey mike I got the pcm back Saturday and I want to say thank y’all for overnighting it back to me. That was awesome. So here’s where I stand. I put it in the truck not knowing where it stood on a program. Drove the truck and it seemed to be in stock tune, still with speedo reading about half of actual speed. So I tried putting the correct parameters in of 4.56 and 35” tire. This unlike before put the truck in limp mode and it will not go over 5mph. So I tried the 2.0 gears that worked before. Still limp mode. I tried 342. Then 410. With 30 and 28” wheels. Stays in limp mode no matter what gear and tire size I install now. The only way I can get it to run is returning it to stock. I know you reflashed the pcm so we can install a custom tune. Please just let me know what you need next so we can get this corrected. Thank y’all for all the help sir.
steveo3318

Post by steveo3318 »

Also today while trying to reload the gear ratio I now am showing only the first digit of the gears and the decimal is way off. Looks like this 4 . And that’s it. It clicks as if it’s moving the numbers I can’t see but I can’t see them to know for sure. I’m starting to believe it’s a bad i3. Thoughts?
Silverado77

Post by Silverado77 »

Steve I have a question for you. Did the tech say that the reflash went through? I just took mine to the dealership to have the ecm and pcmr flashed. They told me that both have stock programs but my i3 says it still has a tune on it. Thanks bud
Josh
steveo3318

Post by steveo3318 »

I honestly have no idea what mike seen or did once he received my pcm and i3. I feel pretty confident that he flashed it back to stock because they overnighted it back to me. When I put it in the truck it did still have a diablo tune in it! Now if that was the one I sent or one mike reconfigured I don’t know. My i3 also still had a stock backup loaded on it, either way I’m still having the same issues if not worse now and I hope we can come to a conclusion this week.
Last edited by steveo3318 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steveo3318

Post by steveo3318 »

Now if your talking about the tech at gm yes mine went through there. He treated it as if it was a blank pcm and loaded a fresh file throughout the whole unit. After this though diablo still says it was not loaded correctly and ask me to send it in which I did.
Silverado77

Post by Silverado77 »

Yes I was referring to GM. My dealer said they couldnt put the stock flash on anyways because it said the files where already on the ecm and TCM. Apparently their tool wont install it if it see it. Thanks for your reply. Good luck with your issue
steveo3318

Post by steveo3318 »

Sunday update. I tried one last time to put a custom tune on the i3. It took it and shows it in the advanced folders in case I want to erase it, but when I hook it to the truck the custom tune icon is grayed out and will not let me select it. This being said I did successfully get it to take the diablo tune with changed parameters but with gears set to 2.0. Speedo is correct and runs flawless. At this point I would just like to figure out why the custom tune folder is grayed out even though it has a speedo correction tune in it. If we can get it to load a custom tune to my truck I will consider this resolved and live with the 2.0 gear ratio because my speedo is actually correct. I’m still thinking the i3 has some issues because it will corrupt loads on its own randomly.
mikel

Post by mikel »

please post the backup file from the tool and the custom tune we made and I will fix it up.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
steveo3318

Post by steveo3318 »

Just got an email from richard asking me to put my correct gear and tire size in and shoot you that one. The custom tune you gave me never would load. Which one would you like. A copy of one with correct wheel and gear or the custom tune. Sorry just talking to two people on the same issue.
Last edited by steveo3318 on Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steveo3318

Post by steveo3318 »

ok mike heres the current tune thats in the truck and working. it does have the gears set to 2.0 and who knows on the tires, but my speedo is correct. I can live with the gears set to 2.0, I just need the I3 to accept a custom tune. If you build one Im trying to put in 4.56 gears and 35" tires. Please let me know if this tune allows you to write to it now that you have reflashed the PCM and thank you for all the help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steveo3318

Post by steveo3318 »

Richard ask me to set the i3 to the gear ratio and tire size i wanted and to send that file to you, but again heres what Im seeing, the I3 has a mind of its own and glitches out. Can I please send this thing back for another or even pay to upgrade to the trinity. I still believe its the I3!!! notice the decimal place and lack of numbers, i get audible clicks but cant see anything.

Also i took a tune and renamed it just to see if it would accept it. The i3 received the tune from my PC, but still grayed out on custom tunes plugged to the truck. I have also tried my secondary work PC to make sure it wasn't my software and Im seeing the same thing with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.