inTune i2 soft bricking PCM

Post here with any questions regarding the use of the i2 on supported Chevrolet, GMC, Cadillac, Buick, and Pontiac applications.

Moderator: sohfast94

Bad Teddy

inTune i2 soft bricking PCM

Post by Bad Teddy »

So as of recently for whatever reason, whenever I connect my inTune i2 to my vehicle, it bricks the PCM.

Upon connecting the cable to the OBDII port and connecting it to the device, the device boots up normally. However beyond that, attempting to select any option that requires connecting to the PCM (tunes or scanning codes), the device causes the ABS/check engine/service traction control indicators to come on and never fully connects to this vehicle. After this occurs, the vehicle will not start. After pulling the battery for 15 minutes or so, the vehicle will start as usual.

I have tested this repeatedly, and each time the device is connected the vehicle and an option that requires communicating with the PCM is selected, it refuses to start afterwards

Now, while I'd like to hope perhaps something is just wrong with the cable that is causing this, I have absolutely no way of testing it. Just as a matter of precaution, I've connected the inTune i2 to my PC and made sure it is completely updated, and unfortunately this did nothing to resolve the issue.

Also to make sure my OBDII and/or PCM aren't fried, I bought a little OBDII scanner to use while the inTune is malfunctioning, and it connects to my PCM without any issue whatsoever.

I'm fresh out of ideas to figure out what the hell is going on with it so I'm all ears for suggestions.

Just for reference, the vehicle in question is a 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche. I'm the original owner of the inTune i2, and the vehicle in question is the only vehicle it has ever been connected to.
mikel

Re: inTune i2 soft bricking PCM

Post by mikel »

do you have access to any other vehicles you can connect it to?

try connecting just the cable without the device?
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
Bad Teddy

Post by Bad Teddy »

Howdy mikel!

The cable when plugged in itself without the device connected doesn't cause any issues, neither does just connecting the inTune i2 itself. It only causes the issue once it needs to communicate with the vehicle to do anything.

And unfortunately no, I don't have any other vehicles to try to connect it to; and given the issue it's causing I doubt anybody I know is going to let me potentially brick their PCM to try it out :lol:
06MonteSS

Post by 06MonteSS »

What is the year, model, etc. of your GM vehicle?? In none of your posts, you don't mention what the year, model, engine, etc. of your GM vehicle is...

If you have a 2006 or older GM vehicle, and you have anything aftermarket installed, like stereo, amps, remote start, alarm, trailer brake/lights, etc. etc.. anything installed that did NOT come from the factory, you need to disconnect it.. you need to disconnect the wiring for any aftermarket stuff before you can install a tune, etc...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
mikel

Post by mikel »

well, tricky one for sure.
Not surer what could cause this.
If you want to send the device in to be checked out we can do that, out of warranty repairs are $99.

Thanks
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
Bad Teddy

Post by Bad Teddy »

06MonteSS wrote:What is the year, model, etc. of your GM vehicle?? In none of your posts, you don't mention what the year, model, engine, etc. of your GM vehicle is...

If you have a 2006 or older GM vehicle, and you have anything aftermarket installed, like stereo, amps, remote start, alarm, trailer brake/lights, etc. etc.. anything installed that did NOT come from the factory, you need to disconnect it.. you need to disconnect the wiring for any aftermarket stuff before you can install a tune, etc...
Good to see you're still around here Monte. As for my vehicle, it's on the bottom of my original post ya goof! But it's a 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche. 5.3L, J VIN.

Probably won't matter for my vehicle, but the only electronic aftermarket thing on my truck at this point are the headlights, and I don't even use my HIDs in them anymore so they're just connected up via the factory wiring harness.