Another fee to unlock?

Post here with any questions regarding the use of the Ignition updater software for PC or Mac

Moderator: sohfast94

stvnhrmn

Another fee to unlock?

Post by stvnhrmn »

Had an i3 from my RAM, purchased a GM license for my Silverado, now it's telling me I need another unlock for an additional $40?

This is confusing as hell. What did the license I purchased for $149 get me if not the ability to tune my truck?
Last edited by stvnhrmn on Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stvnhrmn

Re: Another fee to unlock?

Post by stvnhrmn »

pic1.PNG
purchased this...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stvnhrmn

Post by stvnhrmn »

pic2.PNG
and now I get this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stvnhrmn

Post by stvnhrmn »

pic3.PNG
This is the notification upon updating (what I thought was the PCM unlock process).
06MonteSS

Post by 06MonteSS »

yep.. because 2017/2018/2019 vehicles require a special unlock sequence to unlock the ECM so you can tune it...

so what will happen is, when you go to install a tune the first time, the tool will give you a message that "one or more controllers can not be tuned - Contacting powerteq/diablosport for vehicle unlock... you will be notified within 1-2 days" - or something similar to that effect.. so then in 1-2 days (it's usually within an hour though), once the unlock code has been generated, you should receive an email (if you registered your tool on diablo's site) that your update is ready.. so then you'd run the Ignition Updater on the tool again, and it will update the tool with the unlock code for your ECM, and then you'd be able to tune the vehicle.

Well, GM has started charging all programmer companies (not just diablosport), for every single 2017+ vehicle ECM unlock code request...

So, to get the unlock code/key, you need to purchase the unlock...

then wait about 20 minutes and run the updater again to update your tool.. and then you'd be able to tune the vehicle.
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
stvnhrmn

Post by stvnhrmn »

OK, so not trying to be a dick but, shouldn't the software indicate that there will be an additional charge somewhere PRIOR to purchasing a license that doesn't actually allow tuning my truck?

I was OK with 149, but for some odd reason 189 isn't OK with me, might have been had I known up front but the backhanded method to get the additional fee is, if I'm not mistaken, illegal, or at least very unethical.
06MonteSS

Post by 06MonteSS »

no, because how does the software know what you are going to tune??? heh... the ECM unlock key is only for 2017 or newer GM vehicles.. not ALL gm vehicles... if you had a 2000-2016 GM vehicle, there would be no additional charge for an unlock key...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
stvnhrmn

Post by stvnhrmn »

Truly not seeing my point are you? The additional fee for my 2017 was undisclosed prior to purchase, and I believe that is some seriously shady business ethics. Perhaps reprice the 149 to 189 or at least have it say somewhere that there is an additional fee for another unlock.
mikel

Post by mikel »

the problem is, we dont know what year GM you plan to tune, so its one price to add a gm license to the device, but then if you want to use that on a 17 or newer model, you have to pay the additional $40 required for those models. This is not a money grab on our part, its a fee that we are required to pay to support the newer GM vehicles.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com