Normal Timing or Spark Adv

This area of the forum is for discussions relating to the T2 monitor/tuner on Chrysler vehicles.

Moderator: sohfast94

anthonywoo

Normal Timing or Spark Adv

Post by anthonywoo »

I tried to search this topic with no luck. Took my car into the dealer for a new axle and car now seems to running funny... I have a custom Hemi Fever tune with minor mods...

It's a 93 tune considering a few bolt ons:
180 Thermostat
90mm throttle body
BBK ceramic long tube headers w/high flow cat mid pipes
Borla Attack cat back exhaust

I just updated the T2 a couple of weeks ago and i cant say I remember what the "actual spark advance" and the "spark advance" PID's reported however after getting my car back from the dealer service for the axle I noticed what i would recognize as "pinging" or "coffee can" sound at around 35mph in 4th gear (3.92) somewhere around 1600 to1800rpm. Generally i heard the sound between 1200 and 2000 rpm. Anyhow the T2 after updating changed a few of the normal PID's and noticed at idle it reported 13-15 degrees on both actual spark advance and the PID that is labled "SPK ADV". I seem to remember seeing 30+ degrees at idle. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The other issue which ifeel is related is that after running the car to the store and restarting it seems to be working hard to turn over... very slow crank speed. When its cold it fires right up! I have never heard my car sound like this... so the big question is what should is normal reading for this timing PID? Something is off... My first though was did the dealer reset my computer? It just feels like the timing is off. Any help on this would be amazing!
anthonywoo

Re: Normal Timing or Spark Adv

Post by anthonywoo »

Also wanted to note that the tank was almost empty when i drove the car home... didnt notice anything that I remember. I filled the tank a day or two later and that's when i noticed this. By the way i did not have my T2 connected. After the sound happening a few times I figured i got bad gas... so I put in a bottle of VP octane boost (unleaded) and the issue continued. That's when I connected the T2 and noticed the timing @ 13-14 degrees...

Sorry to add another post i couldn't see how to edit to the OP

THank you again!
mikel

Post by mikel »

so you took it to the dealer, with the tune loaded, and got it back and it feels different?

From where I sit, they flashed your car.

Try reloading the tune...
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
anthonywoo

Post by anthonywoo »

Thank you for the feedback!

So I think I have tried everything PCM and Trinity wise. Problem still exists! Taking with a grain of salt I still may have a gas issue... I went to a Shell station after running that tank of gas out. They always had 93 however apparently they had just sold out to Kwik Trip. None of the Kwik Trip's ever have 93 yet it was labeled 93 ... Anyway I put in 12 gallons and another bottle of VP. With that not working I reinstalled HemiFever tune... no change, reset back to factory then reinstalled HF tune, no change. I then installed the "can" preinstalled CAI Jammer 91, no change. I have now just reset to factory... no change. Remember this happens in the 1000 to 2800 rpm range when driving normal. Example 30 mph in 3rd gear, 60 mph in 5th and worse in 6th!! While monitoring the STKNK PID it will go to 15+ deg and the ping is nauseously audible! I'm no expert but logically running the car with factory PCM settings this should not be happening. I'm at a loss... research in other forums regarding pinging in a gen 3 hemi I found that IAT sensor can cause this type of issue however its in place and does not display anything abnormal on the PID and no engine codes have popped up.

Edit: I'm also noticing that when car is warmed up it starts very rough, seems to have a hard time turning over. Correct me if I'm wrong but back in the old days this could be related to a timing issue.

This is crazy... my car ran perfectly fine before I got it back and filled it with gas.

Again any help would be appreciated! Thank you!
mikel

Post by mikel »

If the issue is happening with the stock tune its not related to the tune ;)
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
anthonywoo

Post by anthonywoo »

Any idea where i should look next? This is stumping me... no diagnostics codes.

I did read the a bad or faulty (stock) hydraulic lifter/s can cause significant timing issues... not sure if this is relevant, however i do have the "hemi tick" issue and it seems worse than normal.
mikel

Post by mikel »

lifters are a possibility. Can be tough to test some of these things.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
anthonywoo

Post by anthonywoo »

Again, thank you Mike! I have done a bit of research and lifter issues apparently can cause timing issues. That said if tuning is not the issue outside of bad gas are there any other common issues that may cause this? I know its a shot in the dark! Are there any PID's that I could record and post that may reveal the issue?

Thank you again!