2011 dodge challenger auto vs manual pcm/ecm

All General Questions can be posted here

Moderators: mikel, 06MonteSS

pinned

2011 dodge challenger auto vs manual pcm/ecm

Post by pinned »

Do you guys know if there is a major difference between the automatic and manual pcms? I am looking to swap transmissions from an automatic to a manual trans in a 2011 srt8 6.4 hemi car. I m hoping i can just reprogram the existing pcm but would like to verify before swapping out...any help you can give is well apreciated
mikel

Re: 2011 dodge challenger auto vs manual pcm/ecm

Post by mikel »

it will work fine once properly flashed.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
Mike_Levy

Post by Mike_Levy »

Why would you do that swap? Its gonna make the car slower. The tranny is weaker too, so if it was to strengthen the drivetrain, that won't work. There is zero reason to ever do that swap on a modern Hemi car.
2021 BMW M550i xDrive
BMC Drop ins, JB4

2010 Nissan Murano beater
K&N Drop-in
mikel

Post by mikel »

A modern TR6060 will handle way more power than a NAG1....in my experience anyhow.

I do agree though, not the direction I'd go :)
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
Mike_Levy

Post by Mike_Levy »

mikel wrote:A modern TR6060 will handle way more power than a NAG1....in my experience anyhow.

I do agree though, not the direction I'd go :)
The Chrysler version of the NAG1 is rated for 550ft/lbs, but the NAG1 is rated for 738ft/lbs from Mercedes. The German tuners have made it handle over 1,000ft/lbs. The 6060 is rated for 650ft/lbs. The difference is that Chrysler uses paper clutches, versus the Kevlar ones Merc uses. Its a lot easier to swap out the clutches with proper ones than do a tranny conversion. Plus then you can swap out the converter and get another .3-.5 off your 1/4. :twisted:
2021 BMW M550i xDrive
BMC Drop ins, JB4

K&N Drop-in
mikel

Post by mikel »

Surely you have seen 6060's living well past that rated torque value...I have seen several 1000+ rwhp 6060 set ups that take lots of abuse. Its a kick ass trans.

The NAG is a mess over 600 rwhp. It can be made to work, but needs a lot of money. I have seen too many HEMIs lay down sick dyno numbers through a NAG then perform terribly at the track, and its all due to the trans not being able to hold the power.

The TH400 swapped HEMIs around here are getting it done for sure, but that takes some of the streetability out of the cars for sure ;)
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
Mike_Levy

Post by Mike_Levy »

Its only the Chrysler version that has those issues. The MB version handles way more on a daily basis in countless AMGs, Jaguars, Porsches, Maybachs, Ssangyongs and others. The CL/S/SL65s came out of the factory with 620hp/738ft/lbs and that transmission until just a few months ago and happily ran 11's despite weighing over 4,000lbs. The Brabus CL800 runs that transmission in a CL class chassis, puts down 800hp and 1047ft/lbs (limited to 811ft/lbs in 1st gear), and has a warranty!

Chrysler screwed it up by using paper. Paper burns and slips. That doesn't happen with Kevlar. Chrysler screws up every transmission they get their hands on. Look at what they're doing to the ZF 9 speed! Pretty much if it was made in Kokomo, its a shitty version of a good gearbox.
2021 BMW M550i xDrive
BMC Drop ins, JB4

K&N Drop-in
pinned

Post by pinned »

I understand your point of view but this is not a 1/4 mile car, this is a blown driver that is owned by me and I enjoy the inteaction of shifting my cars. I am not here to discuss which is better because I have seen both live at the big end of many tracks......I love manual shift cars and have owned dozens in the 11 second streetable class over the last 35 years of my life (i know im old)......to me autos are boring to drive...I like clutching and down shifting, cornering hard, powershifting and driving my car... What I am looking for is what I need to make it happen not to hear why not to do it...........
pinned

Post by pinned »

MIKE L thank you for your prompt reply...I, like you, agree that the 6060 is a great trans (once you address the skip shift and second gear syncro issue) and have one in another hemi car. I hope I didnt sound too abrupt with Levy but I get tired of all the naysayers telling me what not to do with my car........Its my friggin car right? : ) Now when you say it will be ok when flashed is that something I can have done by you guys or a tuner you recommend? I would like to tune out the torque management and anything else you guys think will benefit the car. Its currently making 7#s of boost on a stock bottom end but at some point will see a different setup with way more boost..... but for now can my current tune be duplicated without the automatic trans interaction?
mikel

Post by mikel »

Any dealer should be able to perform the manual cal flash, then one of our tuners will work like it should for a stock manual vehicle.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
pinned

Post by pinned »

Thank you Mike
pinned

Post by pinned »

Mike do you know of a so-cal dealer (im in huntington beach) that can perform the flash..every one I spoke with is hesitant to do it for me and keeps giving me liability issue excuses. I would like to flash a second one for the stick and keep my stock one for the auto.....
mikel

Post by mikel »

Im not familiar with the area, no.

Might need to send the pcm out to someone.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
pinned

Post by pinned »

Hey Mike or any of you guys that might know, do you know what is involved with either bypassing the clutch safety switch or what will be needed to complete the circuit for a start signal on a 2011 challenger auto to stick conversion? I have completed most of the swap with the exception of the dash wiring and was hoping to figure out a work around the neutral safety switch for the trans.

JIM
fkn__awesome

Post by fkn__awesome »

anything happen with this? I'm at the same point with my swap in a 06 SRT 8 300