dataviewer and driver support for windows rt.

Please give us suggestions on how to serve you better!

Moderator: mikel

cq842000

dataviewer and driver support for windows rt.

Post by cq842000 »

I think it would be awesome to have support on my windows tablet for these features. Already I can hook up my intune dcx to the tablet and it successfully boots the programmer and detects it by name but gives me a driver error. Obviously it doesn't show me the device folder but it would be cool none the less.
garrett
Site Admin

Re: dataviewer and driver support for windows rt.

Post by garrett »

does the tablet run just like any other version of windows? do you have a My computer menu to see the drives on the tablet? with the tool plugged in, if it will work on that OS, it will show an diablosport dirve in My Computer. You will open it to see a file labeled Intune.exe. run that file and it will update just like a regular computer. Again, this is all assuming the tablet OS runs like any other windows OS
cq842000

Post by cq842000 »

garrett wrote:does the tablet run just like any other version of windows? do you have a My computer menu to see the drives on the tablet? with the tool plugged in, if it will work on that OS, it will show an diablosport dirve in My Computer. You will open it to see a file labeled Intune.exe. run that file and it will update just like a regular computer. Again, this is all assuming the tablet OS runs like any other windows OS
Unfortunately its Windows RT, so its the ARM arch instead of x86. It wont run native .EXE files without an x86 emulator. It runs .Net framework and the kernel source is a different arch but almost identical minus the supported instruction set.

So I plugged in the Intune again today and it installed drivers and identified the device perfectly. I can see the CD drive as well as the Intune folder in my computer on the desktop. I just cant run the updater because it's an .exe file probably built in visual studio using x86. Dataviewer could be released on the Windows App Store, but the updater has to be compiled for ARM to run. It doesn't seem like it would take much.
Mike_Levy

Post by Mike_Levy »

Problem is, it probably wouldn't be worth doing. Windows is number 3 in the portable OS game by millions. Very few people use it. They'd be better served releasing something for Android (ugh) or iOS than bothering with Windows RT or Blackberry.
2021 BMW M550i xDrive
BMC Drop ins, JB4

2010 Nissan Murano beater
K&N Drop-in
cq842000

Post by cq842000 »

Mike_Levy wrote:Problem is, it probably wouldn't be worth doing. Windows is number 3 in the portable OS game by millions. Very few people use it. They'd be better served releasing something for Android (ugh) or iOS than bothering with Windows RT or Blackberry.
I got a little jealous watching my buddy, monitor and adjust idle, log and change parameters in real time on the fly. It made changing shift points a whole lot easier and the whole process just seems more efficient and productive than say flashing, logging, coming back to check the log research and compare proposed changes, flash, log, etc. At least if I could log in real time with my Lumina 2520, I wouldn't even have to leave the car to nail down adjustable parameters. Sure you could argue that Microsoft's mobile sector isn't doing so hot right now, and to that point I agree. Soon however, Windows Phone and Windows RT will merge and with them their ecosystems. Running the program is possible for first gen windows rt devices via an x86 emulator, which works at 90% efficiency clock for clock, but second gen devices come with 8.1 pre-installed....

Torque Pro already has real time monitoring down, and monitors more PIDs than even my intune DCX does, but again it isn't available for RT yet.
The perk is that this device is low power so it doesn't require an inverter, is smaller than a laptop, and looks way better in my car than a bulky laptop, plus it rarely needs to be charged, and I can actually see the screen clearly in direct sunlight. The problem is that device support is already 2/3 there, it just needs an ARM executable and it's there.
Mike_Levy

Post by Mike_Levy »

I have Torque Pro on my Nexus tablet. I hate it. The logging is horrible. I like DiabloSports logging way better. Easier to read logs and move them to other platforms.
2021 BMW M550i xDrive
BMC Drop ins, JB4

K&N Drop-in
cq842000

Post by cq842000 »

Mike_Levy wrote:I have Torque Pro on my Nexus tablet. I hate it. The logging is horrible. I like DiabloSports logging way better. Easier to read logs and move them to other platforms.
What you don't like CSV Mike? I know, and I hear ya. You didn't get the cheap Bluetooth OBD2 adapter did you? My DS device can't seem log my o2 sensors, nobody seems to know the right PID for my application which yes I am aware that the feature are still evolving to match or exceed the predator. Torque has Mode 06, an almost staggering level of customization and layouts, of which I am a fan. It can also visualize o2 waveforms which Ive yet to see my intune do. All In all they have different purposes, both robust, one costs $6.00 plus a Bluetooth ELM adapter, the other around $400.

Regardless, my intune has so far been useless for diagnosing problems (it won't read stored codes that the dealership can easily see with witech), yet Ive used torque pro to diagnose and fix multiple vehicles for buddies. Of course the counterpoint being that torque pro has been useless for flash programming, yet the Intune does an exceptional and surprisingly quick job of this. The point is, every method and application has it's pros and cons. I have a DiabloSport device that I would like to be more productive with. It has data logging capabilities and I'd be interested in using it with my windows tablet. It was a simple request and a curiosity, that's all. More to the point DiabloSport does have a more integrated method of storage and review, which is what I was asking about support for.
Mike_Levy

Post by Mike_Levy »

I hate CSV. Its unreadable.

I do have one of the cheap OBD2 adapters from eBay. Actually 3 of them. I keep a WiFi one in the car that I use with my iPhone and Engine Link, have a Bluetooth one for the Nexus and Torque, and a spare WiFi in case the car one stops working (again). Plus a cable for the laptop, because I like Scanmaster best.
2021 BMW M550i xDrive
BMC Drop ins, JB4

K&N Drop-in
cq842000

Post by cq842000 »

Mike_Levy wrote:I hate CSV. Its unreadable.

I do have one of the cheap OBD2 adapters from eBay. Actually 3 of them. I keep a WiFi one in the car that I use with my iPhone and Engine Link, have a Bluetooth one for the Nexus and Torque, and a spare WiFi in case the car one stops working (again). Plus a cable for the laptop, because I like Scanmaster best.
Scanmaster is pretty awesome if you know what you are looking at. In any event, for data logging, it mostly comes down to screen real estate which the trinity and intune don't have very much of and neither in a modern resolution, but serial data logging through another larger device could be the saving grace here. Hey if nothing else, I'll just wait for the jailbreak, snag an x86 emulator and run dataviewer and serial data logging that way. It would just be more ideal to have a native solution. Oh and I never used the WiFi dongle for ODBII communication, how much faster is the transfer rate than say Bluetooth 2.1 EDR? I used most of the clones for testing and a few of the name brands for diagnosing/ monitoring. If the torque app had a different format than CSV, I think a lot fewer people would be turned off by it. The main reason I use it, is that it can actually see DTCs that my Intone cant.

I have a lot of faith in DiabloSport and respect for the people working there, and I know that in around 1-2 years the Intune DCX will be a lot more feature rich and robust.