Wich tune is better

Predator support for Dodge gas vehicles

Moderator: mikel

Post Reply
Solid
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:52 am

Wich tune is better

Post by Solid »

Hey guys,

I have question about the tuning. When you go to tune the Jeep srt-8 the predator says 93octane and 93octane Cai. No i was wondering ( i put the 93 octance no cai in) That when i was asking arround the stock air intake from the srt-8 was as good as it can be. And any other would be a waist of money. But did i do good with the 93 octane no Cai? Or should i try the Cai tune? Would there be any performance gains?

And does anybody know if logging an Jeep srt-8 is done the same as for a GM truck as shown in the walktrough MonteSS made for the GM guys?

I know its like cursing in church but the Jeep is from my dad :wink: And i talked him into an predator. So i have to do everything with it :wink:
User avatar
06MonteSS
Posts: 18097
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am
Contact:

RE: Wich tune is better

Post by 06MonteSS »

nope... logging/parameters are totally different on jeep/chryslers and Fords compared to a GM...

that's why DSLogRedux is for GM's only... and I only tune GM's...

the others are totally different... and you don't have the same adjustments on them either like you have on a GM...

Hit up Mike_Levy here on the forums... he's the jeep-equivalent of Me... :lol: :lol:
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
Image
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
Solid
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:52 am

RE: Wich tune is better

Post by Solid »

hahah thanks lew!

So for Mike-Levy then :wink: What about my question about the tune? And what parameters should i log?

Damn feels like i'm an newbie al over again hahaha
User avatar
Mike_Levy
Posts: 6715
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Between Orlando and Tampa

RE: Wich tune is better

Post by Mike_Levy »

Who told you the stock airbox was "good"? It really isn't. Its not bad, but it can definetly be better. Run the non-CAI tune with it. The CAI tune adds fuel, which is necessary because CAIs flow better and need it to keep from running lean.

As far as what to log, just keep on eye on ST Knock Retard, along with the normal stuff. Thats the most important thing. The Hemi likes to knock. Normally we fix it by adding fuel, but that only works if you use good gas. Otherwise it makes things worse and you'll need to cut spark.
Solid
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:52 am

RE: Wich tune is better

Post by Solid »

Hey Mike_Levy,

The dealer who supplied the Jeep and the CMR dealer in the netherlands. I was looking for an k&N Cai serie 63 if i'm correct. And i was advised that it wouldnt matter. So you would advies to get an CAI?

Also about the good fuel. The Jeep srt-8 is converted to LPG. \\wich is like 100 octane Ron i believe so its a bit better than the USa 93 octane. The Jeep has to go back to the LPG instaler guy. They are going to try to make more hp out of the jeep.

And what about the catch can? Is this so important to? seems te be a lot of people who are saying you dont need it when its not knocking. or is it always better to have?

Thanks for your advice!
User avatar
Mike_Levy
Posts: 6715
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Between Orlando and Tampa

RE: Wich tune is better

Post by Mike_Levy »

The K&N Intake isn't any better then stock. Same with the Airaid. The aFe Stage 2 is among the best, along with Volant. BWoody is good too but very loud. Think about it this way, if the stock intake was good, would Mopar Performance be selling their own replacement? ;)

I don't know anything about LPG, so I really don't know how you would go about tuning for it.

The Catch Can is needed if the truck EVER goes to wide open throttle. At WOT theres huge vacuum and it sucks oil into the manifold, through the PCV, where it pools. I have a pic some place of the inside of my mani when I took it off. I'll see if I can find it. With a Catch can, it goes into the can instead.
Quick
Posts: 1283
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:34 am

Re: RE: Wich tune is better

Post by Quick »

Mike_Levy wrote:The Catch Can is needed if the truck EVER goes to wide open throttle. At WOT theres huge vacuum and it sucks oil into the manifold, through the PCV, where it pools. I have a pic some place of the inside of my mani when I took it off. I'll see if I can find it. With a Catch can, it goes into the can instead.
doh... typo, 'cause I know you know better. When the throttle is wide open there is the LEAST amount of vacuum. Most amount of vacuum will occur at higher rpm with the throttle closed.
2006 Magnum SRT8
AFE Stage II
Mopar Cat Back
185* T-stat
RDP tune by Steve
User avatar
Mike_Levy
Posts: 6715
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Between Orlando and Tampa

Re: RE: Wich tune is better

Post by Mike_Levy »

Quick wrote:doh... typo, 'cause I know you know better. When the throttle is wide open there is the LEAST amount of vacuum. Most amount of vacuum will occur at higher rpm with the throttle closed.
Right. WOT has less vacuum, more sucking. :lol:


Oh, and heres the pic of my manifold. This was at 9,000 miles, right before my top end work. Twin catch cans went on at 3,850 miles. Now I only run 1.

You may also wanna look into a new muffler. I attached a pic of a cutaway stocker. Rest of the exhaust flows great. Muffler, not so much.
Attachments
Oil in my intake manifold
Oil in my intake manifold
oilmani.jpg (58.28 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
Stock Jeep SRT8 muffler cutaway
Stock Jeep SRT8 muffler cutaway
oemuff.jpg (45.95 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
Solid
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:52 am

RE: Re: RE: Wich tune is better

Post by Solid »

Thanks for the adivce Mike_Levy!

I'll talk to my dad about this when he is back from his vacation. But whit replacing the muffelr doenst that increase cabine noise? And wich one would you recommand?

Thanks for your help! I really love the srt-8!
User avatar
Mike_Levy
Posts: 6715
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Between Orlando and Tampa

RE: Re: RE: Wich tune is better

Post by Mike_Levy »

Unfortunetly, yes replacing the muffler does increase noise. Thats something I'm working on now. I'm back to the stock catback after 2 different aftermarket ones due to the noise.
Post Reply

Return to “Predator Dodge Gas”