Taking a KB S/C tuned Challenger to the dealer. Suicide?

Predator support for Dodge gas vehicles

Moderator: mikel

Post Reply
ViperGeek
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 5:41 pm
Location: Merrimack, NH
Contact:

Taking a KB S/C tuned Challenger to the dealer. Suicide?

Post by ViperGeek »

Here's a fringe question for the experts.

I have a Kenne Bell 2.8L supercharger installed on my 2010 Challenger SRT8 with a KB canned tune, loaded via the crippled KB7135 shipped with the blower. We all know the Golden Rule: Always return to stock before going to the dealer. My predicament is, I doubt my blown Challenger will even start with a stock tune installed.

Should I be worried that I can't return my PCM to stock before going in for an oil change or minor non-engine-related TSB? One would assume that seeing the monster blower bolted to the block would make them think twice before flashing, but ... you know ... Ass-U-Me. :)

Thanks!

- Dave

ps. FTW: http://picasaweb.google.com/ViperGeek/2 ... lengerSRT8
User avatar
mikel
Posts: 58778
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:17 pm
Location: DiabloSport World Headquarters
Contact:

RE: Taking a KB S/C tuned Challenger to the dealer. Suicide

Post by mikel »

I would have a serious chat with the service advisor or technician and make sure they do NOT in any way attempt to flash the PCM, period. if they do, you'll have a bunch of hoops to jump through and the car wont move.

You are correct, restoring the stock tune is not a good idea in this case. If they are going to give you a problem, it wont be due to the tune, it will be due to the blower under the hood ;)
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

[email protected]
User avatar
Mike_Levy
Posts: 6715
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Between Orlando and Tampa

RE: Taking a KB S/C tuned Challenger to the dealer. Suicide

Post by Mike_Levy »

See Mike, this is why you guys need to make caps like the one I showed you. I'll let you have it for molding off of if you need it.

Image
ViperGeek
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 5:41 pm
Location: Merrimack, NH
Contact:

RE: Taking a KB S/C tuned Challenger to the dealer. Suicide

Post by ViperGeek »

Thanks yet again, Mike and Mike. I'm pretty comfortable with the service manager at the two Dodge dealerships near me. I'm just not as confident about the wrench monkey who actually gets to work on my car.

I like the OBD-II cover. I'll take two!

- Dave
User avatar
mikel
Posts: 58778
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:17 pm
Location: DiabloSport World Headquarters
Contact:

RE: Taking a KB S/C tuned Challenger to the dealer. Suicide

Post by mikel »

your obd2 port is held in by 2 screws.
pull them out, and hide the port up under the dash, so they cant get to it :)
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

[email protected]
User avatar
Mike_Levy
Posts: 6715
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Between Orlando and Tampa

RE: Taking a KB S/C tuned Challenger to the dealer. Suicide

Post by Mike_Levy »

The cover is a $4 MSRP part ($2.65 wholesale) at any GM dealer, part number 12146933. I'm not sure where to get the sticker, it came on mine.
User avatar
Mike_Levy
Posts: 6715
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Between Orlando and Tampa

RE: Taking a KB S/C tuned Challenger to the dealer. Suicide

Post by Mike_Levy »

The cover is a $4 MSRP part ($2.65 wholesale) at any GM dealer, part number 12146933. I'm not sure where to get the sticker, it came on mine. If I can find them, I'll probably pick up like 25 or 50 of each and sell them paired up.
ricks
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:06 pm

RE: Taking a KB S/C tuned Challenger to the dealer. Suicide

Post by ricks »

Hi Dave,

I would be very, very concerned about a trip to the dealer. Most garage techs are going to do what they normally do, connect to the computer. Once they connect to the computer there are some updates that download automatically. You have no option. I forgot what type of updates are automatic.

I will not take my car to a dealer for that (and other) reasons. If they do connect it;, they are going to say "Oops. Sorry. That is our standard practice. Sorry. Bye." You are going to have to talk to the service manager, and ask him to bring the tech out to talk to you before he takes the car back. Then, I would watch him like a hawk. If you know the service manager well enough, you can talk him into letting you go back with the car. I would not drop-off the car. Taking a few hours off work so you can babysit it will be much more enjoyable than, "Oops. . ."

The PCM updates on a SC'd car is a problem. Read Speedy's thread about this on the other forum that you are on.
Edit: It wasn't the other forum. It's on this one:
http://www.diablosport.com/index.php?na ... ic&t=35828
Rick
2009 Challenger SRT
Kenne Bell 2.8LC Supercharger
User avatar
rham48
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:40 pm

RE: Taking a KB S/C tuned Challenger to the dealer. Suicide

Post by rham48 »

I would be sure to let them know you have a S/C under the hood (in case they don't open it). They should know that means a custom tune but I would tell them regardless not to upload anything. There should be no issues with any warranty work unless it involves the powertrain in which case your warranty wont be honored (most likely). There are some dealers out there who will overlook such things unless you've blown the motor, tranny, driveshaft, diff or rear axles. Regardless, an S/C won't affect anything (warranty wise) other than the drivetrain, by law.
AZ MSCL: Inferno Red 09 Challenger RT, Aria CAI, Moroso Catch Can. 2010 Silver Mustang GT Premium.
Post Reply

Return to “Predator Dodge Gas”