Hey everyone,
So I'm the proud owner of a Trinity for my '13 Ram 1500 5.7L. I have a few newbie questions for you...
1- does the tuner have to stay attached to the truck once I have installed a tune? Or can I install said tune then put the tuner back in my house for security?
2- what are custom tunes and what do they do? these tunes being outside of the preset tunes that are on the Trinity. I have also read through a discussion board that people have gotten custom tunes from other sources, is this advisable and what can it do above and beyond what DS has preloaded on the tuner?
3- finally, This kind of goes along with the first question. Can you leave the OBD-II connector plugged into the truck without the tuner hooked up? I was thinking of trying to run the wire under the carpet to my mount location for the tuner, but I don't want to always have to reach under the dash to hook it up...
Thanks for your help and advice!!!
-paradit
New guy
Moderator: mikel
-
Bigtrucklover
- Posts: 38
- Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:47 pm
Re: New guy
When you install a tune, you're flashing the pcm memory with the new settings. So the short answer is, no, it can be removed once the tune is safely uploaded.paradit wrote: 1- does the tuner have to stay attached to the truck once I have installed a tune? Or can I install said tune then put the tuner back in my house for security?
I'm not a CMR dealer, but I'll give you the 5000ft level description. Custom tunes are performed using CMR software which has more authority and tuning parameters than the hand-held. If you've heard of software like HPTuners or EFILive, it's along those lines. They have the ability to go into many of the actual tables, and adjust at a finer resolution, either using a dyno or from datalogging that you provide.paradit wrote:Hey everyone,
2- what are custom tunes and what do they do? these tunes being outside of the preset tunes that are on the Trinity. I have also read through a discussion board that people have gotten custom tunes from other sources, is this advisable and what can it do above and beyond what DS has preloaded on the tuner?
Yes you can. However, if the unit is still attached, you will draw a very small amount of current. So unplugging at the unit is a good idea. If you do set it up the way you described, make sure the exposed connector is not where it's going to see excessive moisture (water), or where it might get debris inside.paradit wrote: 3- finally, This kind of goes along with the first question. Can you leave the OBD-II connector plugged into the truck without the tuner hooked up? I was thinking of trying to run the wire under the carpet to my mount location for the tuner, but I don't want to always have to reach under the dash to hook it up...
Welcome.paradit wrote:
Thanks for your help and advice!!!
-paradit
2013 Chevy Truck 5.3L with Airaid Jr. and 87 Octane tune.
Re: New guy
Awesome!! Thanks for the help!
-paradit
-paradit