Oil Life Monitor

Predator support for GM gas vehicles

Moderators: 06MonteSS, mikel

Post Reply
jeremyjo
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:15 pm

Oil Life Monitor

Post by jeremyjo »

I've got an '06 GTO programmed with the U7191. This is the first car I've owned that had the oil life monitor on it (you know, the one that tells you when it's time to change the oil based on mileage, engine revolutions, time of day, and lord knows what else...)

Anyway, does programming the ECM affect this calculation? I change the program between the Diablo tune and the 91 octane tune based on what fuel I can find when I fill up (93 is tough to come by in west Texas). I know the Predator doesn't display oil life in any of the menus, I've looked, but I wonder if the parameter gets reset when a new program is written.

I ask because it's been almost 7500 miles since I last reset the monitor, just testing it out to see how long it 'recommends' to go before changing the oil.

Any ideas?

-Jeremy

P.s. When is TCM support due? ;)
User avatar
06MonteSS
Posts: 18097
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am
Contact:

RE: Oil Life Monitor

Post by 06MonteSS »

no, it does not affect the oil life monitor... (I have it on my car as well)....

the oil life monitor is affected by how hard you drive your car...

depending on how you drive your car, it is entirely possible for it to go for a year until it says you need an oil change...

fwiw, mine I usually change my oil at about 6000-6500 miles, and I still have about 30-35% on my oil life monitor...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
Image
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
ches111
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:41 am

RE: Oil Life Monitor

Post by ches111 »

I still change mine at 3000... Old habits and is cheap enough that I figure it could not hurt.
Image
Image
07 Chevy Silverado w6.0L Vortec Max, U7194, AEM Brute Force
User avatar
06MonteSS
Posts: 18097
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am
Contact:

RE: Oil Life Monitor

Post by 06MonteSS »

I know at 6000-6500 miles, my Mobil-1 oil still looks fresh... so I'm good... ;)
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
Image
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
sickREDsierra
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:06 pm

Re: RE: Oil Life Monitor

Post by sickREDsierra »

06MonteSS wrote:I know at 6000-6500 miles, my Mobil-1 oil still looks fresh... so I'm good... ;)

cheap son of a :oops:

"looks fresh" and retaining the original viscosity are two different things sweetie :oops:


have you performaed a viscos test on that used oil after 6000 miles yet? better safe than sorry. especially in your high horsepower application.









:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image
2007 Sierra, 370 C.I. , Custom CompCam, ProEdge 3600 converter, 4.11's with eaton LSD, Foose 20's, DynoTune Nitrous, Patriot CNC'd heads
User avatar
06MonteSS
Posts: 18097
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am
Contact:

RE: Re: RE: Oil Life Monitor

Post by 06MonteSS »

yup, performed the test myself.. made my fingers all slippery.. good to go!
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
Image
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
User avatar
06MonteSS
Posts: 18097
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am
Contact:

RE: Re: RE: Oil Life Monitor

Post by 06MonteSS »

hey, if GM says to use normal/regular oil and to go by the OLM, and they haven't had any engine damage due to oil issues by waiting until that OLM tells you to change it, then I'm SURE it's aaaaallllll good using Mobil 1 full synthetic and changing at 30%, which is well before it would tell me to change it...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
Image
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
sickREDsierra
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:06 pm

Re: RE: Re: RE: Oil Life Monitor

Post by sickREDsierra »

06MonteSS wrote:yup, performed the test myself.. made my fingers all slippery.. good to go!

i wasnt referring to the "wife preperation" test :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image
2007 Sierra, 370 C.I. , Custom CompCam, ProEdge 3600 converter, 4.11's with eaton LSD, Foose 20's, DynoTune Nitrous, Patriot CNC'd heads
Post Reply

Return to “Predator GM Gas”