MDS keeps slipping on

This area of the forum is for discussions relating to the T2 monitor/tuner on Chrysler vehicles.

Moderator: sohfast94

Wackercattle

MDS keeps slipping on

Post by Wackercattle »

I just updated my T2 today, still have symptoms.
The car "surges" while I am driving, mostly cruising. It seems to be kicking in and out of mds, after a while I get a P3497 code. I have my MDS off and I have tried both Diablo and modified stock tunes with the mds turned off.
I have read where another guy had this problem, you gave him a file to download, and it helped keep his mds off. I am guessing that file must contain my vin# to work for me.
Thanks!

Sherri Wacker
2013 Charger Pursuit, 5.7
2C3CDXAT9DH721121
mikel

Re: MDS keeps slipping on

Post by mikel »

that code is pointing to a problem with the bank 2 MDS solenoid, you likely have an issue that needs to be repaired.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p3497
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
Wackercattle

Post by Wackercattle »

Regardless, if the system is turned off it doesn't know if the solenoids are working properly or not since it's not trying to activate them.
mikel

Post by mikel »

It can still test the solenoids, its just being told that they are not used.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
Wackercattle

Post by Wackercattle »

It tests them on start up and they are fine, something happens while I'm cruising that it tries to slip into mds then back out, that's when it throws the code. It takes about 5-10 miles or so for it to set the code.
If there were a problem solenoid you would think it would NOT want to try to go into mds rather than the opposite.
Just trying to wrap my head around why this system is being like parasite trying so hard to worm itsself into engaging.
I'm not going to replace a part that I am disabling function on anyway- be it bad or not. I was just under the intake and all the wiring looked fine, as well. If I disconnect the solenoids, I get a cel right off from the self test.
I am not sure how your device works, but when I retrieved my tuning information, the file marked "lasttunewritten" in my tunes folder, the date on it is 01/19/2018. Does this mean my vehicle isn't being tuned? Is that the date the device was manufactured? I just went through the process to install the 91 octane tune and it said tuning was successful then I brought it inside to hook it to my computer to attach a copy to this post.
Thanks,
Sherri
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikel

Post by mikel »

the device does not have a clock, the dates are irrelevant ;)
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
Wackercattle

Post by Wackercattle »

OK so you've been a huge help. I guess when people ask me about Diablo I can just tell them good luck- it's a pretty 600.00 set of gauges.
Sorry to bother you.
sbenja2008

Post by sbenja2008 »

Wackercattle wrote:OK so you've been a huge help. I guess when people ask me about Diablo I can just tell them good luck- it's a pretty 600.00 set of gauges.
Sorry to bother you.
Welcome to the club there are about 50 of us in different facebook groups I'm in that have giving up on Diablo and going to Hptuners.
Wackercattle

Post by Wackercattle »

:lol: it's too bad- you get one tech and they're more than happy to help, next time you get one that's just a smart ass. He could have looked at the file and told me something constructive- but he didn't. Maybe I'll just write an editor and edit their files myself :mrgreen:
mikel

Post by mikel »

i didnt think you were asking for a file review. I thought you posted it asking why the dates were wrong and to confirm it was the actual last tune written.
it creates a new copy of the LTW file everytime you load a tune so the file there is always whatever you last loaded to the pcm.

The MDS is not disabled in the file you posted so I would start there.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
Wackercattle

Post by Wackercattle »

Thanks. I have tried modifying the stock tune with MDS off, the Diablo tune with mds off, and now the 91 octane tune with mds off. It goes through the entire process, and at the end says the tuning was successful.
I posted once before to make sure while choosing the mds toggle is supposed to be off to make sure I'm doing it correctly.
Is there something I'm missing?
Do I need to call in and get someone to walk me through it? It seems to be ignoring the mds choice.
Thanks again!
mikel

Post by mikel »

I haven't seen issues with that switch not working, are you sure you are installing the tune each time you make the change?

Either way, custom tune to the device and then to the PCM and MDS will be disabled.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com
Wackercattle

Post by Wackercattle »

I will try that. I have made a Youtube video (I apologize its not too interesting) when I went out to get the tuner- this was the same tune I sent yesterday, then I tuned it again to Diablo tune. You can see if it's going correctly. It tells me it's tuned with mds off. If it's not turning mds off, is it even tuning the pcm? I also attached the new file from this morning. It does have a different date on it 3 days newer than the old one.
I will install the custom tune you sent me and drive the car today and get back to you.
There are two other threads I can find with the same problem, I think they both are Pursuit models as well. Maybe the pcm in a Pursuit is different? Weird.

My video https://youtu.be/B-CgatWPXs4

The other threads https://forum.diablosport.com/viewtopic ... ds#p364767
https://forum.diablosport.com/viewtopic ... ds#p365704

Thanks a lot!
Wackercattle

Post by Wackercattle »

So I loaded the tune and ran it as it was (I don't think it had any options) and it did turn off the mds.
So if my Diablo isn't turning off my mds with the factory tunes, is it even tuning my car at all? Why wouldn't it turn off mds the way it was written?
Thanks
mikel

Post by mikel »

I haven't had any recent issues with the MDS switch.
There was a bug where it was mapped wrong maybe a year or so ago, but its been corrected for some time.
Its possible the device cached the broken parameter.
if so, the best thing to do is go back to stock then reload the tune to force it to use the updated parameters.

Thanks
Mike Litsch
561-908-0040

tech@diablosport.com