What really is "Throttle boost"?

Predator support for Dodge gas vehicles

Moderator: mikel

sniper226

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: What really is "Throttle boost"

Post by sniper226 »

Personally it's not for me for the following reasons.

1) It is just artificially giving the car more throttle than my foot gives it. Over time, my foot will compensate for this and it will be the same except the pedal will be more "touchy"
2) It is somewhat of a hazard to me. Reason being, I know if I am to pull out in front of traffic making a left, how much throttle I can give the car before I start losing major traction. With the throttle boost, it makes this a bit of guess work. It just depends on how much you boosted and how use you are to the changes.
3) It does make the throttle more touchy. So I am giving up more control of the throttle to the computer which to me is not a good thing.

I just wish Chrysler would fix the torque management "dumbing" down of the throttle they do as well as reprogram the adaptive transmission on the automatics so you don't have to flog the car before it starts performing the way it should.

If I do flog mine right after starting it, it is much better in responsiveness. More so than a throttle boost.
mikel

Post by mikel »

3) You gave up control of the throttle the minute you bought that car ;)
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
Charger250

Re: RE: Re: RE: What really is "Throttle boost"?

Post by Charger250 »

mikel wrote:Im still confused.

its so simple, you shouldn't even be able to write a paragraph about it.

It increases the throttle opening relative to pedal input.
The question was where did #2 come from. That is what I was explaning.

True its simple increase boost, throttle opens sooner = faster car.

#2 was simply an explination of why the = faster car part.

faster open air intake = more air. More air requires more fuel. More air + more fuel while maintaining 14.7: a/f ratio = more power.

Is that a simpler answer?
Charger250

Post by Charger250 »

The goal of the persons innitial question was for DiabloSport to confirm this explination. From what I have seen, DiabloSport provides a great product, that has a great tune, and helps us mod our cars. DiabloSport does NOT provide training to the pulic for them to be an automotive technician, or a specalist in tuning. Just simple high level what their product does.

People are wanting the detailed engineering on how it works and why. That could be considered trade secrets, also once Diablo Sport makes an official comment there becomes a legal issue as they offically stated this or that.

For those and many other reasons, DiabloSport isnt going to provide us with detailed technicial explination on how it works, trade secrets, or how to become an automotive technician specalised in tuning. The answers will be basic and high level.

Another thing to consider DiabloSport support's job isnt tuning, thats the tuning specalist job. Supports job is to help us install and use the product, not give scientific explinations in detal how how thigns work, or explane laws of phiscs on how cars work.
my05hammer

Post by my05hammer »

I set mine for +10% and love it there. The throttle response feels too mushy at the stock setting.
2013 Challenger, 5.7L, 6 speed, Hurst Shifter, 3.92 gear, Jazz Blue with red hood to fender stripes, and Super Track Pack.
magnumfan

Re: What really is "Throttle boost"?

Post by magnumfan »

Actually, both theories put forth by sniper226 are incorrect. In stock trim, when you press the throttle a certain amount it takes a given amount of time for the throttle blade to open to that amount. Lets say you snap the pedal to the floor it may take up to a half second for the throttle blade to reach wide open. Even at part throttle the throttle blade will not move as fast as your foot. What a throttle booster does is speeds up this response, thus reducing lag. It doesn't open the throttle farther than it would without the booster. it just opens it quicker.
mikel

Post by mikel »

thats not really correct.
The boosters will ask the throttle to open more per pedal input than it did stock.

You go to 10% on the pedal all stock, and throttle pens 10%.
You add a booster then go to 10% at pedal, and now throttle is opening to 15% or 20%, hence the boost.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
dbrooks7712

Post by dbrooks7712 »

I’m confused as to why there is confusion concerning “feel” of throttle response. Isn’t that what determines how we perceive acceleration? If it “just feels” like a change in force then can we agree that there is something to be gained? Dyno statistics will separate the Objective and Subjective data.