new 7198 doesnt work HELP

Predator support for GM gas vehicles

Moderators: 06MonteSS, mikel

rickssz
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:42 am

new 7198 doesnt work HELP

Post by rickssz »

Right out of the box it wont check for codes or let me go in and correct the speedo for gears.. Always get error is the ignition turned on? What do I do beside plug into OBD port and turn the ign on???
rickssz
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:42 am

RE: new 7198 doesnt work HELP

Post by rickssz »

Silly me the connector wasnt seated. I got a good connection and it cycled after that. Im still not sure what tune Im modifying but at least it runs.
WhiteBuffalo
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:32 pm

RE: new 7198 doesnt work HELP

Post by WhiteBuffalo »

What???

Whatcha mean "not sure what tune your modifying"? That's kinda important aint it?? :roll:

WB
05 Avalanche LT Z71 5.3 4.10, Volant CAI, Volant Ram Air Scoop, Corvette 2nd & Sonnax Super Hold 4th gear servo, KYB MonoMax.
Image
rickssz
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:42 am

RE: new 7198 doesnt work HELP

Post by rickssz »

Well I just got it and dont understand it yet. It forces you to backup your stock tune but it seems like it still left it in the car. I thought it substituted a predator tune for the stock one in order to back it up. So I think I just modified my stock tune but not the backed up stocker.
CANUCKPREDATOR
Posts: 1617
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:58 pm

RE: new 7198 doesnt work HELP

Post by CANUCKPREDATOR »

Once the original is backed up into the Predator, install the tune of choice. That will depend on how much performance you want and that depends on which gas you want to run. 87 octane is a little better than stock, but diablo tune is quite bit better but you need 93 octane.

The original tune is kept in the predator so if you have to go back to the dealer for work you can put it back into the car so they won't give you any grief.

Once you have the tune of choice installed and you wish to make changes, go back into the same tune and you will have an option to modify it.
rickssz
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:42 am

RE: new 7198 doesnt work HELP

Post by rickssz »

I backed up my factory tune and then went straight to modify without installing the 87 or 93 octane tune. So what tune is accepting my custom adjustments?
User avatar
06MonteSS
Posts: 18097
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am
Contact:

RE: new 7198 doesnt work HELP

Post by 06MonteSS »

what tune did you modify?? the diablo tune, the 87 tune, the factory hp tune??

what tune did you select when you started??
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
Image
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
rickssz
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:42 am

RE: new 7198 doesnt work HELP

Post by rickssz »

Thats the thing after the back up I went straight to modify. Maybe it did say stock but when it backed up it went thru the 10 % 15 % etc as the factory setting were backed up then I dont think anything was loaded unless when I thought I was choosing stock to back up it was downloading instead. Im confused .
User avatar
06MonteSS
Posts: 18097
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am
Contact:

RE: new 7198 doesnt work HELP

Post by 06MonteSS »

ok... for a first time install... when you first boot up the Predator on your car... you select a tune to install... Performance/Diablo tune, 87 tune, Factory HP tune, whatever you have available to you, etc... once you select one of those tunes, then it will go and do the backup of your original tune...

then when the original backup is done, it goes to the "Install Tune" or "Modify Tune" menu - which is for the tune you first selected at the beginning - the Performance/Diablo tune, 87 tune, or Factory HP tune...

so, WHICH tune did you select when you first started the whole process??!!
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
Image
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
rickssz
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:42 am

RE: new 7198 doesnt work HELP

Post by rickssz »

Im guessing the factory or stock which I thought was MY factory tune which I thought it just let me change my factory settings, I didnt know it was loading another stock tune. I believe there were only two choices and I didnt pick performance.
User avatar
06MonteSS
Posts: 18097
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am
Contact:

RE: new 7198 doesnt work HELP

Post by 06MonteSS »

if you picked factory/stock tune and NOT performance tune, then yes - all you did was make changes/adjustments to your original/OEM/GM tune currently in your vehicle...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
Image
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
rickssz
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:42 am

RE: new 7198 doesnt work HELP

Post by rickssz »

Sorry I seem so dense but I thought the predator removes the factory tune when it stores it. Youre saying it just makes a copy and leaves the original in the PCM and thats what I changed not the 2 tunes that come with the predator.
LostAngel
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:57 pm

RE: new 7198 doesnt work HELP

Post by LostAngel »

I believe what lew is saying is:

When you make a backup, you can either install the stock tune (but you can modify it), the 87 octane tune, or the diablo 93 octane tune. You installed the stock modifiable tune back to the car. You should have installed either the 87 octane tune or 93 octane tune.
Image
2008 Chevrolet Corvette
Victory Red
MN6
--Mods--
Avic-D3
SLP LoudMouth I Exhaust
Vararam Intake w/ Throttle Body Spacer
Predator DiabLewTune
User avatar
06MonteSS
Posts: 18097
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am
Contact:

Re: RE: new 7198 doesnt work HELP

Post by 06MonteSS »

rickssz wrote:Sorry I seem so dense but I thought the predator removes the factory tune when it stores it. Youre saying it just makes a copy and leaves the original in the PCM and thats what I changed not the 2 tunes that come with the predator.
k, what is does is this... it makes a copy orf your original tune and saves it to the predator...

then, if you select the Factory HP Tune to install/modify - you are just making adjustments to the stock/original tune that is in your vehicle.

If you select the Performance Tune, then you are overwriting the stock/original tune with the diablo performance tune.
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
Image
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
rickssz
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:42 am

RE: Re: RE: new 7198 doesnt work HELP

Post by rickssz »

That makes sense. Mine just has performance tune or factory tune and as you say the factory tune is just there so we can modify the stock tune and the backed up restore is there to revert to if we screw up or to restore if we send the unit back or send for a custom tune. So my U7198 only comes with 1 tune which I assume is the 93 octane tune and no 87 octane is supplied on my predator.
Post Reply

Return to “Predator GM Gas”