How do I customize my tune for my 2002 Silverado 2500 6.0L

Predator support for GM gas vehicles

Moderators: 06MonteSS, mikel

RacerBrownJr
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:53 pm

How do I customize my tune for my 2002 Silverado 2500 6.0L

Post by RacerBrownJr »

I just got a Predator U1798 (Bios V6.01). My 2002 Silverado 2500 HD has ;
-Weapons Research cold air intake w/ a tornado type device (a Spiral-Max) also installed in it
-1'' Helix throttle body spacer w/ spirals molded into it
-3''Aero-Turbine scavenging mufflers, and custom 3'' resonators w/swirling patterned perforations cut in to move the exhaust faster
-3'' cat-back exhaust w/cross pipe & 3 &1/2'' tips w/Spiral-Max's welded in
-Pulse Plugs (spark plugs that give 10x the spark)
- Amsoil oil
I use the truck for delivery work and drive 200-280 miles / day, so any better mpg is extra income...I"ve gone from about 13.9 to 14.6 so far (including a 15.1 and 14.8) in for fill-ups so far.
I haven't read anything so far about this but can some of you more expert guys tell me what to do ? I'm using the 87 tune now....will it work better on mid-grade 89 octane ? 'cause some stations have same price for regular and 89 oct....in Minneapolis here regular now averages $3.49/gal.
Thanks,
Mike
User avatar
06MonteSS
Posts: 18097
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am
Contact:

RE: How do I customize my tune for my 2002 Silverado 2500 6.

Post by 06MonteSS »

try to get your fueling dialed in... http://diablosport.com/index.php?name=P ... opic&t=917

you can't save logs with your model predator, like the tutorial uses, but you can still view the data live on the predator's screen while you drive...

the Tornado and TB spacer may throw things off though, as they just add more distance for the air to flow through and don't really do much of anything else...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
Image
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
RacerBrownJr
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:53 pm

RE: How do I customize my tune for my 2002 Silverado 2500 6.

Post by RacerBrownJr »

Monty (sorry I don't know your real name), I got some data today....First off, at the top of the screen it said GM 02 Pred 2.13.
Locked at 2313 rpm w/ cruise I was going a steady 50 mph (must be 4.10 gears)
ECT was 188 degrees , MAP averaged about 5.9 . Data was line by line . There were 2 pairs of Long and short term fuel trim #'s.
The upper (right or left ?) long term number stayed at 1.56% ....The Long term # from the lower pair (set of long and short readings) stayed at .78%.
There was no AFR or "Equivalence Ratio" or commaned throttle position (or Accelerator pedal position).
I'm dying to get some more mpg...I drove 367 miles at work today and made $ 142., but spent about $ 86. of it on gas ! ( not even premium ! )
What should I do next ?
Thanks, Mike
p.s. I had the trans in D not OD when I got this data...
CANUCKPREDATOR
Posts: 1617
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:58 pm

RE: How do I customize my tune for my 2002 Silverado 2500 6.

Post by CANUCKPREDATOR »

Your LTFTs are the first numbers to look at (so far). If you are seeing 1.56 you will need to make a -2 adjustment. The goal is to get your LTFTs in the 0 to -2 range. Make the change, drive about 30-50 miles, do another log and see if things are working ok or if you need to make more changes.
User avatar
06MonteSS
Posts: 18097
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am
Contact:

RE: How do I customize my tune for my 2002 Silverado 2500 6.

Post by 06MonteSS »

Atta boy Canuck!!!

yup, do as he says... ^^^^^
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
Image
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
CANUCKPREDATOR
Posts: 1617
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:58 pm

RE: How do I customize my tune for my 2002 Silverado 2500 6.

Post by CANUCKPREDATOR »

Monte, if you keep teaching us so well, your job around here is gonna get easier, maybe you could even take a night off. :lol:
User avatar
06MonteSS
Posts: 18097
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am
Contact:

RE: How do I customize my tune for my 2002 Silverado 2500 6.

Post by 06MonteSS »

:lol: thx man!

yeah, exactly!! that's the goal.. :lol: :lol:
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
Image
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
RacerBrownJr
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:53 pm

RE: How do I customize my tune for my 2002 Silverado 2500 6.

Post by RacerBrownJr »

Hey Monte and Canuck I need to know what to do now.....I have gotten my LTFT #'s to -78% on both sides by reducing the number -5....I think if I went down 1 more time I would see a -1.56%....My gas mpg seems the best yet (15.1 w/o really watching the pedal for a city / highway mix (mostly highway).
Should I kick it down 1 more notch or not....and either way ,what can I adjust next ? I test at 50mph (2300 rpm) in Drive not OD and I have the the 87 octane "performance " tune. I want power but since I drive 200+ miles a day on my job I need Mpg's .
You guys are awesome baby !
P.S. I have to admit , I saw this Forum before I bought my Predator and this had a lot to do w/ my decision......
User avatar
06MonteSS
Posts: 18097
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am
Contact:

RE: How do I customize my tune for my 2002 Silverado 2500 6.

Post by 06MonteSS »

nope, leave it where it is... your average ltft numbers look good!


"You guys are awesome baby !
P.S. I have to admit , I saw this Forum before I bought my Predator and this had a lot to do w/ my decision......"


haha... thanks man!!
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
Image
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
RacerBrownJr
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:53 pm

RE: How do I customize my tune for my 2002 Silverado 2500 6.

Post by RacerBrownJr »

Hey Canuck Predator do you agree w/ Monte about leaving all my other Adjustments alone...this 3.75 gas price is a new record and its rough .

Also BP, Mobil and _______ are the 3 recomended fuel brands ?

Thanks
User avatar
06MonteSS
Posts: 18097
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am
Contact:

RE: How do I customize my tune for my 2002 Silverado 2500 6.

Post by 06MonteSS »

yes, he does... :lol:

yes, leave it as is... go too far negative and you'll be running too rich and actually be using/burning more fuel...

since you don't have an AFR parameter on the older vehicle, you don't really want to mess with the WOT/PE fueling without getting a wideband O2 sensor installed...

recommended brands are mobil, exxon, sunoco, amoco, and bp...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
Image
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
CANUCKPREDATOR
Posts: 1617
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:58 pm

Re: RE: How do I customize my tune for my 2002 Silverado 250

Post by CANUCKPREDATOR »

06MonteSS wrote:yes, he does... :lol:
Thanks for answering on my behalf. :P
User avatar
06MonteSS
Posts: 18097
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am
Contact:

RE: Re: RE: How do I customize my tune for my 2002 Silverado

Post by 06MonteSS »

:lol: :lol:

thought you'd like that... hahahahaha....
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
Image
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
RacerBrownJr
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:53 pm

RE: Re: RE: How do I customize my tune for my 2002 Silverado

Post by RacerBrownJr »

Thanks you guys...I just got a set of Wrangler Silent Guards, an alignment , and new front wheel bearing assembly and she is running super nice. She just broke 100,000. miles.
CANUCKPREDATOR
Posts: 1617
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:58 pm

RE: Re: RE: How do I customize my tune for my 2002 Silverado

Post by CANUCKPREDATOR »

That's just getting warmed up now :)
Post Reply

Return to “Predator GM Gas”