WOT and MBT Spark Adjustments

Post here with any questions specific to the use of the i2 on Chrysler vehicles.

Moderator: sohfast94

Texas Heat

WOT and MBT Spark Adjustments

Post by Texas Heat »

I recently purchased the DIabloSport I3 tuning device for my 2020 Ram1500 and have flashed the 93 octane tune using some of the advanced tuning features that allow further customization versus the default can settings.

I made some changes to ignition advance after experiencing some audible knock above 5000rpm and I pulled 2°BTDC at WOT >5000rpm and I pulled 1°BTDC at MBT <5000rpm at WOT. Can someone please explain how much total advance I removed above 5000rpm at WOT? Does MBT and WOT timing need to be adjusted together by the same margin to have the same effect on ignition WOT advance?

The timing adjustments I made did remedy the knock, I'm just trying to understand how to properly adjust these values moving forward.

Thanks in advance.

Tim
mikel

Re: WOT and MBT Spark Adjustments

Post by mikel »

the pcm will always target the lowest spark value available between MBT and WOT spark tables.

If you need to lower timing, you dont need to do it in both as it will always find the lower value. If you want to add timing, you definitely need to add to both so you get what you are looking for.

Did you log to verify the knock?

Thanks
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
Texas Heat

Post by Texas Heat »

mikel wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:23 am the pcm will always target the lowest spark value available between MBT and WOT spark tables.

If you need to lower timing, you dont need to do it in both as it will always find the lower value. If you want to add timing, you definitely need to add to both so you get what you are looking for.

Did you log to verify the knock?

Thanks
Thank you for the reply.

I did not originally datalog the knock event, however it was audible on both attempted pulls. I did log it after I made the timing adjustment and the log is now free from knock throughout the WOT pull.

On another note, what changes have been made in the transmission tune on the 2020 Ram 1500 5.7l and are the transmission shift points user adjustable via the I3 device or is that specifically handled with the tuning software only for dealers?

Thanks in advance.

Tim
mikel

Post by mikel »

tcm changes are mostly some pressures and TM adjustments. Shift points need custom tuning, its more complicated to set up that it may seem ;)
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com